PDA

View Full Version : question about plecos/other suckermouth cats

Jeddi
06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
is it true that they need to *constantly* be grazing on algae?

Reason I'm asking is because I want to keep a few nerites with a small shoal (3-4) of otos, OR some sort of small pleco-- Most likely a butterfly. I'm just worried that with so many algae eating tank inhabitants, they'll be unhealthy. Is it not enough to just give them veggies and algae wafers often, or do they need a constant supply of algae?

On a side note, what pleco or algae eating cat would you recommend for a 29g planted tank? thumbs2: I'd like something that's not always hiding and thats addicted to veggies. thumbs2: butterlies and otos are my main thought night now. I was thinking a BN but none of my lfs have the standard color (they're all albino) and they're huge waste producers, and I don't want them to be knocking everything around. Also, butterflies do fine on their own, right? And I haven't been able to find any good info on butteflies, so any extra info I should know about would be apprectiated. :19: Also, I'd prefer something that will also eat diatoms.

Crispy
06-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I recommend L046 leopard frog pleco, or rubberlip for that size tank. They don't 'need' constant algae. Veggies, wafers, and sinking pellets will keep them happy.

Jeddi
06-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I recommend L046 leopard frog pleco, or rubberlip for that size tank. They don't 'need' constant algae. Veggies, wafers, and sinking pellets will keep them happy.
Alrighty, I just wanted to make sure I didn'toverfeedthese guys.

I'll look into those, but I've never seen the frst one in my lfs, and I think they have he rubbers out of stock.

Northernguy
06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Don't forget the veggies for them!
Cucumber,zucchini,romain lettuce...Its all good for them.

Jeddi
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Don't forget the veggies for them!
Cucumber,zucchini,romain lettuce...Its all good for them.
I won't! I know I won't be using every single bit of the veggies in my haden to cook with, so now I have something to do with them.

Can they eat yellow zucchini and different kinds of squash?

Crispy
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
if the plecos you want are not in stock, it is well worth it to wait, ask them to order, or find them from someone reputable online.

Sasquatch
06-09-2010, 10:48 PM
They'll eat all kinds of squash and even fruits (apples, oranges etc ...).

As for suggestions on types, bulldog plecos and long tailed plecos would do well. Small Panaque would be nice. It depends on how much you're willing to invest, there are plenty of small plecos out there.

VoidParadigm
06-10-2010, 11:03 PM
It's not that they technically need to be constantly grazing. It's just that in the wild they've got larger areas to go over, not to mention generally harder food than you'd find at the pet shop.

Just throw a piece of harder veggie in there (and a piece of driftwood, depending on the species) regularly, and they'll be happy enough. So long as it's not something that'll fall apart quickly in the water, I generally throw something in for my pair at night, take it out in the morning.

toddnbecka
06-11-2010, 05:53 AM
If you want a brown or red BN I have plenty on hand.