PDA

View Full Version : Betta Questions

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
i recently set up a 10 gal. tank for a betta i would be getting if i saw one i liked. well i fell in love with a crown tail betta the reminded me of a mustard gas betta. ill post pics once hes all settled in and comes out of hiding behind the filter.the tank is lightly planted with 1 anubias and 2 what i believe to be argentine swords from another one of my tanks. im not 100% sure thats what they are as they hit about 9 inches tall and stopped growing heightwise.

my first question is he keeps attacking his reflection in the glass. will he learn over time that he cant get to the "other betta" or will he just keep doing it?

would it be possible to keep kuhli loaches in the tank with him and if so how many would be a good number?

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Hello, hello!
While I can't comment on the loaches, as I have no experience with them, I can say that your betta will eventually stop flaring at and biting at his reflection in the glass. My betta stopped after a few weeks

Northernguy
06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
I really can't see a problem with the loaches and a betta together.
The betta would have hard time finding the kuhlis most of the time and I don't think it would attack them.The kuhlis will not attack the betta at all.
I just thought kuhlis did better in a 20gal and up.With such a small stocking it should be fine.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile28.html

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
thank you for the quick responses! all i plan on having in the tank is the betta , Tony, named after Bullet Tooth Tony from the movie Snatch, and kuhli loaches if the tank size permits. i know with kuhli's the more the merrier but how many would i be able to house in a 10 gal. and have them be merry but not cramped.
the filter on the tank is an AC 30

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 06:28 PM
thank you for the quick responses! all i plan on having in the tank is the betta , Tony, named after Bullet Tooth Tony from the movie Snatch, and kuhli loaches if the tank size permits. i know with kuhli's the more the merrier but how many would i be able to house in a 10 gal. and have them be merry but not cramped.
the filter on the tank is an AC 30

If I may make a suggestion, have you thought about keeping the Betta with a small school of neon, glowlight, cardinal, ember, basically any small tetra? Also, you could keep a betta and shrimp tank depending on the temperament of your betta.

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 06:43 PM
If I may make a suggestion, have you thought about keeping the Betta with a small school of neon, glowlight, cardinal, ember, basically any small tetra? Also, you could keep a betta and shrimp tank depending on the temperament of your betta.

That was actually my first though, the small tetras , more specifically Von Rio Tetra, but then i decided that ide rather have the betta be the only fish in the water column and have the rest reside mostly on the substrate. my second though was panda corys. a LFS sells them but i aleady have a tank with a large school of corys and decided that would be one of my last choices as ide like some variety in the tanks. i would love red cherry shrimp but ive done limited research about them so im hesitant to get them, but they are definitely not out of the running.

could you reccomend some shrimp species that are easy to keep?
is it true they need iodine to molt properly?

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
could you reccomend some shrimp species that are easy to keep?
is it true they need iodine to molt properly?

I've only kept RCS and Ghost shrimp personally. Both are quite easy to keep although RCS are more sensitive to ammonia and the like in my experience. I've never dosed any of my tanks with shrimp in them with any sort of iodine and they molt just fine. The biggest threat to them has been making sure to provide them the proper food (algae for RCS, detritus and the like for Ghost-generally speaking) and possibly aggressive fish. My Betta tank has ghosts in it now and they get along swimmingly (pun intended).

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
i plan on putting up to three more anubias in my tank (will try to post a picture sometime soon) and as of late the betta seems to be real peacful except with its reflection. when i had added the driftwood to the tank he actually came over and was just kindof....rubbing/bumping into me in a way as if to say hello. all my tanks get a 50% water change a week so levels of nitrates will be kept under 5ppm idealy. im sure the plants will help. what are good things to look at to make sure RCS shrimp are healthy?

chrisfraser05
06-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I've got 3 pepper corys and 6 RCS in my 10G with my beta.

He seems perfectly happy with them :)

Bet you are well chuffed with him, Betas are so full of character!

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I've got 3 pepper corys and 6 RCS in my 10G with my beta.

He seems perfectly happy with them :)

Bet you are well chuffed with him, Betas are so full of character!

that they are! im excited for him to calm down a little once he gets used to everything

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 07:00 PM
i plan on putting up to three more anubias in my tank (will try to post a picture sometime soon) and as of late the betta seems to be real peacful except with its reflection. when i had added the driftwood to the tank he actually came over and was just kindof....rubbing/bumping into me in a way as if to say hello. all my tanks get a 50% water change a week so levels of nitrates will be kept under 5ppm idealy. im sure the plants will help. what are good things to look at to make sure RCS shrimp are healthy?

Color, activity, eating habits. Like with fish you can tell a lot by observing them. Beware though, as RCS can and will breed like crazy

KatzeSlaugen
06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
sounds like ill be leaning towards shrimp in a few weeks when the tank is more mature and stable. thank you Kazenouta for all the information youve been a great help.

if anyone else has anything to add any opinions, facts, info is definitely appreciated

wolf_eyes
06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I personally wouldn't do red cherry shrimp. I had a female betta that hunted, litterally hunted down any shrimp she could find in a 20 long heavily planted tank. Since the females are bright red it was easy for her to spot them and before I separated her I was out 3 females. If yo still want to try them, this is my advice: Get ghost shrimp first and see how your betta will react to them. Since ghost shrimp are cheaper, duller, and bigger they will introduce your betta to the idea of shrimp being in it's tank and, since they're cheap, if he goes on a killing spree, you'll only be out a couple of bucks versus $20 or so if you went with cherries first.

KatzeSlaugen
06-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I personally wouldn't do red cherry shrimp. I had a female betta that hunted, litterally hunted down any shrimp she could find in a 20 long heavily planted tank. Since the females are bright red it was easy for her to spot them and before I separated her I was out 3 females. If yo still want to try them, this is my advice: Get ghost shrimp first and see how your betta will react to them. Since ghost shrimp are cheaper, duller, and bigger they will introduce your betta to the idea of shrimp being in it's tank and, since they're cheap, if he goes on a killing spree, you'll only be out a couple of bucks versus $20 or so if you went with cherries first.

that is a very good idea i wasnt thinking about what if my guy does go after them, so i should get a few ghost shrimp and run a probation period and if it goes well move up to RCS. im hoping he doesnt even bother with them!