PDA

View Full Version : Frustration with Dwarf Baby Tears

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Hello all,
I'm writing concerning Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides). Perhaps three-four weeks ago now I planted it in my 10g in small clumps with a little bit of rock wool still attached to the bottom to serve as an anchor. The tank is equipped with a DIY Co2 generator, has root tabs in the substrate, and is periodically dosed with pfertz's nitrogen and micros liquid ferts.

As you can see in these pictures:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RuHknFFol0s/TA_KmFMHCAI/AAAAAAAAArc/2SkfvRy4dNw/s800/DSC01458.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RuHknFFol0s/TA_KnX3GdeI/AAAAAAAAArg/L2Vo8ho7TKM/s800/DSC01459.JPG

for the most part the Baby Tears aren't growing really and in fact are melting off. The bunch that is closest to the glass in the second picture is looking healthy and slowly creeping. This is really the only bunch that is doing well. My question is, would you recommend that I take the bunches that aren't growing well out of the rock wool and individually plant single strands of it in a checkerboard fashion? Or should I instead wait a bit longer?

Thanks for any suggestions

robflanker
06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
interesting you made this thread - i almost bought some of this stuff on Sunday but didn't know much about it.

Sorry I can't help you but i'll be interested in seeing if people have some help with this plant as its really a cool looking plant

taralm13
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I had purchased some baby tears a while back and I also left some of the wool attached. Periodically clumps of the wool would come off and I would remove it from the tank until it was all gone. The baby tears never really seemed to get any bigger but always looked really healthy. I eventually lost it (not to death but rather out of frustration I vacuumed it up) due to various algae and eventually cyano (which I am still battling) but it didn't seem hard to keep just to grow bigger (and I currently don't even have CO2). I would be really eager to hear how yours does because eventually I want to try it again.

MCHRKiller
06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
HC needs high lighting and a rich small grade substrate. You may want to switch your substrate out to something a bit smaller and geared specifically toward plants. Also what is your lighting? I have some HC in my 10G and it has 40watts of PC lighting which honestly Id consider a minimum for the plant in this size tank.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 07:35 PM
HC needs high lighting and a rich small grade substrate. You may want to switch your substrate out to something a bit smaller and geared specifically toward plants. Also what is your lighting? I have some HC in my 10G and it has 40watts of PC lighting which honestly Id consider a minimum for the plant in this size tank.

Thanks for the replies. My lighting is 2 40w CFLs at 6700k. I'm definitely going to consider switching out my substrate. Is the substrate absolutely necessary? Or rather will it just speed along the spread?

Lady Hobbs
06-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Baby Tears are very small rooted plants that spread. Planting them in gravel is apt to be a dismal failure. Hard for small roots to spread in rock.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Baby Tears are very small rooted plants that spread. Planting them in gravel is apt to be a dismal failure. Hard for small roots to spread in rock.

Alright then, good to know. I'm going to look into either Fluorite Black Sand or just some regular aquarium sand in black. That should look nice and really make the glowlight's colors pop as well as helping out my plants.

robflanker
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Alright then, good to know. I'm going to look into either Fluorite Black Sand or just some regular aquarium sand in black. That should look nice and really make the glowlight's colors pop as well as helping out my plants.
I have a layer of flourite black sand covered by black tahitian moon sand - works out great for me