PDA

View Full Version : Swordtails inter-breeding

gm72
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
I assume this is possible, but am wondering--if I have a male swordtail, say a red velvet, and a female swordtail of a different variety, will they breed? If so, do you end up with some coloring conglomeration of the two?

I ask this because as many of you know I am currently raising 16 swordtail fry. I do not know the variety, the fish shop didn't know and I have been unable to find pictures that look like these. I would like to continue breeding them to experiment a little.

Any advice/suggestions/ideas? Thanks!

nanaglen2001
05-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Swordtails will interbreed, so do Platies, Guppies and Mollies.

So if you want to stick with one variety, dont keep any other color morphes with them.

And the color of those "hybrids", their babies are very likely to look different from their parents too.

If you want to "create" a new color variety, you have to pick out the best looking ones, and from their babies also the the best looking ones and so on and so on. This can go on this way for years. Normaly you end up with pairing sister and brother, or mother and son.

The other thing which can be possible is, you end up with more or less the natural color. At least this happens when you interbreed Mollies. After a few generations they look like the wild original Molly.

ctruz1110
05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
gm72,
can u show me some pictures of your fry?

ctruz1110
05-31-2007, 12:49 PM
gm72, can u show me some pictures of your fry?