PDA

View Full Version : Female Bettas Bullying

Tango
06-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Two of my female bettas died several weeks ago, so I bought a few more. Origianlly there were 3 females living together in my community tank, now there are four (bought 3). The previous school of bettas was not very aggressive at all, but since I've put in these new females, all four are constantly chasing one another and the other fish in the tank. This has resulted in several of my fish receiving large tears in their fins. I read that it is normal for them to set up a heirarchy at first, but it has been quite awhile and I am concerned about them hurting each other and the other fish. Why are they so aggressive towards one another, and what can I do about it?
Thank you.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 01:10 AM
What size tank are they in? Are they in the tank with anything else?

Tango
06-09-2010, 01:17 AM
They are in a 10 gallon tank, and yes, there are other fish. The other fish that they chase are mollies and gouramis. I have some other fish as well, but they ignore them. Is it a territorial thing? My tank is a bit overstocked, so could that be why they are so aggressive? But then, that didn't happen with my other group of bettas, so I a m puzzled.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah 10 gallon seems a bit small for everything you have in your tank. Generally speaking, Bettas +gouramis in a tank that small are a no-no although I'm not sure how it works out when the bettas are females. I'd guess that gourami v. betta, betta v. betta is the cause of the problems.

Although you never had this problem with your previous group of bettas that doesn't mean they aren't the problem now. Just like people fish all have different personalities.

Tango
06-09-2010, 01:26 AM
The gouramis are actually quite peaceful. I removed two of the more agressive females, and the tank looks fairly peaceful now. Would it be safe to attempt to introduce them back into the tank after awhile?

Brhino
06-09-2010, 01:28 AM
What kind of gouramis? How many each of gouramis and mollies? Your tank is somewhere between slightly and heavily overstocked. Combine that with the fact that bettas, even females, have a wide range of personalities between passive and vicious, and I think you were really lucky that things were working out before (although, were things working out? Why did two of them die?), and with this new batch of personalities you may not be so lucky.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure if that will work or not to be honest. They'll still have the same personalities. Although I can't be sure. What type of gourami do you have in the tank?

wolf_eyes
06-09-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm rather interested to know the full stocking as well.

In most cases, if you want to have a female betta tank work, you need to add all the females at the same time. You can't have any one fish be in the tank first because she will claim it as her territory and fight the others for it.

Tango
06-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Of the gouramis, one is a female sparkling gourami, the other a male dwarf. I am unsure whether he is a red dwarf or a honey dwarf though, as I was told two seperate things.

There are two balloon mollies. Both females.

Of the two females that passed away, one died because she was egg bound. The other was more my fault. I tried breeding her with one of my males, but he turned out to be too aggressive. :(

I do know my tank is overstocked, but I've been able to keep my nitrogen, ammonia, ph, etc. correct, as well as keeping it clean by cleaning it often and having two filters. All my fish are quite healthy, besides some of them having the torn fins.

tori.lock
06-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Personally, I think female bettas should be treated almost the same as the males, until you know their personality. They are more likely to be more passive than males, but they can easily be just as vicious. Female betta tanks are hit or more, and like has been said, typically only successful if all the bettas are introduced at the same time. Even then there are no guarantees for behavior.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 02:07 AM
The thing with overstocking a tank is that the danger isn't just in your tank parameters i.e. ammonia, trites etc. You're now experiencing the other danger is that fish who have the reputation of being territorial have that characteristic magnified as they are literally animals backed into a corner. Male dwarves can be extremely territorial and as Tori.lock mentioned so can female bettas (and really many other fish depending on personality). IMO you're going to continue to have a problem in this tank until you thin its population

Tango
06-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Personally, I think female bettas should be treated almost the same as the males, until you know their personality. They are more likely to be more passive than males, but they can easily be just as vicious. Female betta tanks are hit or more, and like has been said, typically only successful if all the bettas are introduced at the same time. Even then there are no guarantees for behavior.

Then, if they are too aggressive, should the females be housed by themselves, like the males?

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Then, if they are too aggressive, should the females be housed by themselves, like the males?

This isn't necessarily the case. A lot depends on the individual fish.

Tango
06-09-2010, 02:17 AM
The thing with overstocking a tank is that the danger isn't just in your tank parameters i.e. ammonia, trites etc. You're now experiencing the other danger is that fish who have the reputation of being territorial have that characteristic magnified as they are literally animals backed into a corner. Male dwarves can be extremely territorial and as Tori.lock mentioned so can female bettas (and really many other fish depending on personality). IMO you're going to continue to have a problem in this tank until you thin its population

Ok. Thank you. I will try and work something out. The problem is I don't have much more room in my room, and my parents will not let me get another large tank. The tank became over stocked because I have a hard time resisting buying fish when I walk into a pet store. I just adore fish-keeping. Outside of my 10 g. tank, I also have 7 male bettas and a small AFD tank.

Tango
06-09-2010, 02:19 AM
This isn't necessarily the case. A lot depends on the individual fish.

I do not mean all of them, just the aggressive ones.

Kazenouta
06-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Ok. Thank you. I will try and work something out. The problem is I don't have much more room in my room, and my parents will not let me get another large tank. The tank became over stocked because I have a hard time resisting buying fish when I walk into a pet store. I just adore fish-keeping. Outside of my 10 g. tank, I also have 7 male bettas and a small AFD tank.

I can understand that temptation, really I can. I'm sure you can find an LFS or some local fishkeepers who have the ability to take the fish off your hands. Fishkeeping is a blast and impulse buying is tough to avoid at the beginning. Adoring the fish though means that you have to treat them the best you can so that they can have a good life. So, do what you need to. Later on in life you can keep whatever you want. Don't worry, patience will pay off thumbs2: