PDA

View Full Version : Does flashing always mean ich?????

coachfraley
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a 15g tank with a pearl gourami and some corys. I recently added a few butterfly rams (a little over a week ago). The past couple of days, the rams have been flashing quite a bit, but none of the fish have developed ich spots.

Should I assume they have ich and treat the tank, or should I wait until at least one of the guys develops spots?

Thanks for the help!!!!

GoldLenny
05-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Flashing could be from things other than Ich. If you do not see the white spots (like grains of salt on your fish), then you likely do not have Ich.

This is a good reminder as to why you should quarantine new fish first. Also, your 15G is not going to be big enough for all them fish. The gourami is supposed to grow to 5" and the rams are supposed to grow up to 4" and the cory's.. well it depends on their species.

cocoa_pleco
05-31-2007, 01:02 AM
the platy in my planted tank used to do that alot, and just flash against the driftwood for no reason. just watch for any spots

coachfraley
05-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the advice...

I was planning on moving the pearl out of there anyway, so it will soon be just a ram and cory tank. Look, I even updated my sig!

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Could be gill flukes too but I have a feeling within a few days, some ick spots will start to show up. Easiest to find them on the tail fins first.

coachfraley
06-02-2007, 04:59 AM
Well, no spots so far, and they seem to be flashing less...I am stumped.

I guess I will just keep an eye on them.

cocoa_pleco
06-02-2007, 05:06 AM
the main reason fish flash is 2 reasons-

A) some worms are ticking them off and they want to flash them off or
B) they are flashing to rub themselves against something to stimulate their own slime coat. If they are constantly flashing, somethings up, but the odd flash is nothing bad. my auratus flashes sometimes too and theres no trouble

Abbeys_Mom
06-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Rams are PH sensitive. They may just be adjusting to your water conditions. A PH that is too high or low will burn them. Watch for redness around the gills and fins, loss of appetite and loss of colour.

GoldLenny
06-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Some contaminations in the water can also cause fish to flash. Run some new carbon in your filters and make sure you use a dechlor product on your tap/source water (if needed) when you do PWC's (partial water changes).

coachfraley
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I put some new carbon in the tank and dosed it with some amquel. I have not seen any more flashing or any ich spots. I guess it was either some contaminate like Goldlenny said, or they were just adjusting to my tank parameters. Either way, they look happy now, and I learned a good lesson: Don't rush to medicate!

Thanks again!

roulfi004
06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
This rubbing behavior is seen on many fish, even in the wild or in huge public aquariums. Large or small, most fish will rub/flash sometime. It will come and go

I'm just gona say what other people said here but abit differently:

Fish flash / rub themselves against something for 2 main reasons

1. They are just cleaning themselves, or getting something non-harmful off their body
2. They are itchy (could be ich, worms, parasites, chemicals in the water, etc.)

The first thing to do, before medications is to try 2 or 3 25% waterchanges, 1 every 2 days to improve the water quality. That can be helpful in both situations

And watch you fish closely. Unfortunately, some diseases will show on the fish just a little too late. Ich is the least to worry about, although it is most frequent

marcryan11
06-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I occasionally get flashing after doing water changes. And a few at play time