PDA

View Full Version : Red plants?

SunSchein89
06-08-2010, 04:11 AM
Starting to look around for a nice centerpiece plant for my tank. Anyone know of any nice-looking red plants that you've seen or have experience with?

domjd05
06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Try some tiger lotus bulbs, if you get three, you may actually get the red ones shown in pictures.. they are beautiful, look at my thread in the journals forum to see pictures of it.

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Agree. The Red Tiger Lotus is beautiful. The Ludwigia peruensis is also very pretty but you need high light to bring out the red in plants and I only have a medium so can't get that show red.

SunSchein89
06-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I have 3.25 watts/gallon using a compact fluorescent, so I'm hoping that will be enough light for some red plants if I have co2 running as well. My main red plant will be dead center in the tank right under the light, so it's getting the prime spot in the tank.

I was looking around on aquabid last night and saw a few nice looking plants from the same vendor and in the descriptions a lot of them said that having low nitrates (~5 ppm) and high phosphates (1.5-2 ppm) really helps bring out the red coloring in the plants. I know most people try to keep their phosphates basically at 0, so I was wondering if anyone could validate this or has tried it before?

I did see the Ludwigia peruensis when I was looking last night, so I'll definitely be keeping that one in mind. Thanks for the tips so far :22: .

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

This should help maybe. Great site. Check under light requirements and you should see several more.

rich311k
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Rotala rotundifolia will turn red, there are various stem plants that become shades of red. Do a little searching, many ludwigia species do.

There are various sword cultivars which will have red leaves.

Many crypts have various shades of red and bronze.

I would search for various plant retailers and see what they haveand what you like.

Be aware that these plants need good ferts and CO2 and light, some can be quite tricky, try a bunch of different ones and see what works for you.

SkipW
06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I tried the Ludwigia peruensis and it looked great in my tank. But for what ever reason, lack of lighting, water condition, .... it only lasted about 3 weeks. I came back from a 10 day vacation to find half of it floating around the tank. And when I went to do a large WC, I was left with planted stems. Very nice looking plant though. I may try it again once I've upgraded my lighting.
Most of the "red" color plants I've found seem to require medium to high light to keep it's red appearance.

Lady Hobbs
06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I had it too and it just popped in my tank. It was so pretty but I didn't have the light to sustain it. Bottom leaves all fell off because the light would not reach the bottom of the plant so I had to get rid of it.

domjd05
06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
My red tiger lotus bulb grew HUGE from just 2wpg lighting and no co2, the trick is getting one that actually grows red, not the brownish/green.. so in other words, get 3 or 4 and your bound to get one red at least.

korith
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Ludwigia repens is a nice stem plant with a nice red/purple color to it. There is a cool looking floating plant called red root floater. Been looking for that one locally for a while now, has long red roots on it, nice for adding some color to the tank.

HeatherB
06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I got some lotus bulbs a while ago- one has sprouted and looks like it may be red. I hope so. Something to break up all the green would be nice!