PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Lip Plecos

LittlePrince
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I started to have a bit of an algae growth on my driftwood and my filter intake tubing so I figured I'd get some algae eating fish to take care of it.

I picked up two rubber lip plecos but they don't seem to be doing much of anything. One of them just hides under the sponge filter 24 hours/day and the other, when not also hiding there, rests on the sand or can occasionally be seen on the glass.

I thought these guys would be a better choice than the stick fish and I didn't want ottos because they are smaller and I don't want my goldfish to pick on them and I know my shubunkin likes to pick on smaller things in the tank.

Were the rubber lip plecos a bad choice? Should I expect to see them munching on the algae on the driftwood any time soon or should I explore other options?

What are my other options? I don't want anything that will get bigger than 4-5" because my tank is only 65 gallons.

Trillianne
06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I can only speak from my limited experience, but it seems that my rubberlip was very shy when I first put him in the tank. Over the course of a few weeks he has become more "social" in that I see him out and about a bit more. He is also VERY good at at sensing when you are looking at him and will zip off to a hiding place for a bit.

He's not super prolific at eating algae from the opposite end of my tank yet, but I do see him expanding his grazing area over time in my tank.

LittlePrince
06-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Yes, I did read that they can be a bit shy. I've been wanting to get some rubber lip plecos for a while now and was very excited to add them to my tank so I hope that they settle in and feel more at home soon. Thanks for your input.

EmmanuelJB
06-08-2010, 03:16 AM
When I got mine it was shy at first, but now it its algea better than any other pleco I have had...

rothenb1
06-08-2010, 03:22 AM
I've read (and have seen!) that bristlenose plecos are the best algae eaters. I purchased one for my 90gal and he was little more than 2 inches. All the algae was gone in three days. Although he seems to have gotten a little lax because there's a lot of growth on the front of the tank :hmm3grin2orange:

Plus, BNs don't get too big, I they top off at 6 inches max. I've read that rubbernose plecos sold in stores can actually be a variety of species (commonly called rubbernose or rubberlip) and they can range from 6-12 inches fully grown, but I'm not 100% sure of this.

EmmanuelJB
06-08-2010, 03:36 AM
I've read (and have seen!) that bristlenose plecos are the best algae eaters. I purchased one for my 90gal and he was little more than 2 inches. All the algae was gone in three days. Although he seems to have gotten a little lax because there's a lot of growth on the front of the tank :hmm3grin2orange:

Plus, BNs don't get too big, I they top off at 6 inches max. I've read that rubbernose plecos sold in stores can actually be a variety of species (commonly called rubbernose or rubberlip) and they can range from 6-12 inches fully grown, but I'm not 100% sure of this.
It all depends on the pleco IMO. My rubber plecos eat algea 100% better than 1 of my BNs, and they eat about as well as my other BN.

As for the size. Rubbers (most of them at least, there may be other varietys) stay smaller than BNs. One of my full grown rubber pleco is only 2-3 inches.

LittlePrince
06-09-2010, 03:59 AM
All great responses! Thank you. I originally wanted to get an albino long finned bristlenose pleco. Hard to find so I'd settle for a regular BN if necessary. Would one of those do fine in my goldfish tank? The temp is usually around 74.