PDA

View Full Version : should I take this betta

ohmikeosh
06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi a friend of mine went ahead and bought one of those betta's from that store I told you all about that I wont shop at anymore. She bought it like a week ago because her son saw one and wanted one, so she listened to the employee who said a tank doesnt need to be cycled for a betta, nor did he say they should have a heater (and listen to this one) because they are cold water fish????(dont even get me started on this pet store) Anywho the employee convinced her that they were so easy to maintain and like most people she believed him... why not they work in the pet store they should have a general knowledge about the fish. So my question is this; I dont know much about betta's, but should I have her add that bacteria booster to the tank? and how often should she do water changes? Im gonna go get her a heater today? Now that I explained everything to her about cycling a tank, she is upset for buying it. Wish she would of told me first. Or should I convince her to take it back and wait for the tank to cycle. Even though the kid will be upset.

Northernguy
06-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Teach her how to cycle and care for the fish properly.

rich311k
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
With some seed material and water changes it should be all right. Just tell her what needs to be done.

HeatherB
06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
With some seed material and water changes it should be all right. Just tell her what needs to be done.

Agree!!! Give her some media from one of your filters, add the heater etc. Teach her how to care for the fish and you should be fine!

aquariums+me=happy
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
A filter and a good sized tank are more important than anything else really. So please make sure she/he has this. And depending on the temp. of her house and if the tank has a light or not she might not need a heater. I had a small tank once that stayed constantly 77 F with just a light all year around.

Mistago
06-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Also, having the betta in an uncycled tank is still better than a little cup. The betta'll have a better chance at surviving this way even with just room-temp water.

Tigerfishy
06-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with the above. Seed the new filter and teach her the proper care. The fish is more likely to thrive and live longer this way too!

That's nice of you to care and pass on the info too :)

little hawaii
06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Total oppertunity to give someone the lifelong joy of fish keeping. Go for it.thumbs2:

rothenb1
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I agree with all of the above. However if your friend is unwilling to do all this you should take the fish. Better for him to be with you than back at the pet store.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I agree. You are currently cycling one tank with fish right now so go for it and cycle this one too. Tell her you want it.

Sarkazmo
06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Also, having the betta in an uncycled tank is still better than a little cup. The betta'll have a better chance at surviving this way even with just room-temp water.

This is absolutely right. Clean water is most important. Most of my Betta are in unheated temp homes right now but since it's summer their water is a comfy 78 or so. Betta are very hardy fish and do fine this way. I don't recommend tanks under 1 gallon as they're just too small. But as long as you keep up with the water changes he'll be just fine.

A filter and a good sized tank are more important than anything else really. So please make sure she/he has this. And depending on the temp. of her house and if the tank has a light or not she might not need a heater. I had a small tank once that stayed constantly 77 F with just a light all year around.

If the room stays a constant temp it's fine.

Most important thing is to get the Betta out of the cup, into a larger volume of water, and into clean water.

Sark