PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at breeding fighters

black_ghost
06-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey all. Well yesturday I decided to try and breed my fighters. I have a female in my main tank and a male In it's own tank. So did a bit of Reading and introduced the female into the tank in a jar. They jus sort of looked at each other and the male started swimming round the jar. Nothing was happening so I left the room and came back 2 hours later to find my males fins shredded and hers aswell. Shed managed to jump about 2 inches out the top of the jar!

Any tips for my next attempt?

Cheers

Lady Hobbs
06-06-2010, 12:44 PM
You have to wait for him to build a bubble nest and then introduce them watching them constantly. I'm surprised he didn't kill her. Have you other tanks for keeping the fry?

black_ghost
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes I have my main tank and two small ones, one with my male in, one ready for fry. I have just been up to feed him now and there's a bubble nest along one of the sides of the tank. Not near the floating plants though?

Shall I try them again in a couple of days or will they just want to kill each other? If you don't watch them, they could spawn and you not even know it.

Lady Hobbs
06-06-2010, 03:31 PM
They can really knock the heck out of each other before they spawn so perhaps it will work now but you have to watch them so no one kills the other.

Northernguy
06-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Are both his and her tanks side by side?
They are suppose to be able to see each other to get him to build the nest and for her to grow some eggs.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/breeding2.php

Time-Out
06-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I wait for the male to build a nest, then just plonk the female in with him. The tank is extremely well planted, so she can hide if she doesn't like him. I leave them for four days, then remove the female whether or not they spawned. If they haven't, I wait for them to get fat again and try again. It seems to work. I've only ever had one beaten-up female, but that was because the tank wasn't planted enough. She absolutely adored her second 'boyfriend' and released eggs almost as soon as she was in the tank. That's love for you ;)
It's best not to disturb them too much and they enjoy their privacy. Wouldn't you?