PDA

View Full Version : Tore my tank apart AGAIN

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2007, 05:39 AM
I got into a frenzy today and decided to do a bunch of moving things about. I also bought my fish a window unit air conditioner and installed that today, went to the hardware and had plexiglass cut for the top and run myself ragged.

My apartment gets very hot in the summer and all last summer I was adding ice cubes or frozen water bottles to the tanks to help cool them down. They now have their very own air conditioner!!

While tearing the place apart, which required moving two small tanks, I decided to re-plant using something besides gravel. In this tank (20 gallon) I added top soil mixed with about 2 cups of Laterite and packed it down good in the tank. On top went the gravel and then the plants. I used the tube of a magic marker to punch a hole in the base and just stuck the plants in. Worked cool.

The first time I tried to use Laterite I had a nightmare of red water and one heck of a mess. This time I slowed down and used my head.

This is the tank one hour later. Still a bit of cloudness but not bad at all. I was a bit worried about the top soil leeching to the top as well but no problem. What I wish I would have done is run a line of gravel along the edge first, tho, so I wouldn't see the laterite/topsoil mix there. I may try to punch the gravel down in that area as I don't like that look. I only want to see the gravel so will remember to do this the next time for sure.

Plants suck but better ones will be in there before long. Just wanted to show you how little it clouded.

I may just fill in the rest of the areas with anubus and be done with it.

jweintraub
05-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Looks great Hobbs! You sure are dedicated buying your fish their own AC! We don't have any central air here in Germany, wanna buy me one too? :)

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
JON! There you are. I've been missing you. How's Germany and how's everything going there?

Yes, as much as I want more tanks, I really need to care for the fish I already have first. They thought they were fish soup most of last summer, I think.

Speaking of fish........where are yours?

sergo
05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
hey lookin' good hobbs

frizzlefish
05-30-2007, 02:04 PM
While tearing the place apart, which required moving two small tanks, I decided to re-plant using something besides gravel. In this tank (20 gallon) I added top soil mixed with about 2 cups of Laterite and packed it down good in the tank. On top went the gravel and then the plants. I used the tube of a magic marker to punch a hole in the base and just stuck the plants in. Worked cool.

The first time I tried to use Laterite I had a nightmare of red water and one heck of a mess. This time I slowed down and used my head.....

.....I wish I would have done is run a line of gravel along the edge first, tho, so I wouldn't see the laterite/topsoil mix there. I may try to punch the gravel down in that area as I don't like that look. I only want to see the gravel so will remember to do this the next time for sure.

I tried the same thing with this 29 gallon I'm running right now. I wanted the planted tank look with a substrate that would work for root feeder plants but without the cost of a run to who knows where for flourite or something else. I used plain top soil mixed with sand and then a sand layer on the top.

I love your tanks so I'm sure this will work for you! Beautiful angel as well!

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
hey lookin' good hobbs

Does not. Soooo lacking in plants and I especially like the effects of the water splashed glass. Adds a little something extra to the pic.

Drumachine09
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Does not. Soooo lacking in plants and I especially like the effects of the water splashed glass. Adds a little something extra to the pic.

Dont say that. It gives it character..... ;)

sergo
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Does not. Soooo lacking in plants and I especially like the effects of the water splashed glass. Adds a little something extra to the pic.ok fine then! it looks like a$$ and what kind of person could set up such a sloppy tank. :flipa: :ezpi_wink1: :wink2:

nanaglen2001
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I whish I could send you some kind of "CARE parcel", I have plants in abundance, and have tothrow them into my garbage...:14: :14: cause I cant get rid of them.

And I call that really dedicated to a hobby, fish own their own airco:hmm3grin2orange:

But lets wait and see, in a few weeks your Angels will need machetes to cut their way thru your jungle.

Incredulous_Ed
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
The tank looks prety good!

TehTANK
05-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I am not worried Hobbs! I am sure you will get it just the way you want it in time. You always have a way of making your tanks perfect. :0)

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Boy, now the crap is really getting deep! LOL

No one was supposed to look at my crummy plants......just the water. LOL

Incredulous_Ed
05-30-2007, 08:04 PM

oh..... okay then......

Would you look at that clear water! Crystal clear! lol

hungryhound
05-30-2007, 08:16 PM

What water. I thought that you still had to fill the aquarium:14:

gm72
05-31-2007, 02:05 AM
I think it looks pretty cool. I kind of like the fact that you can see the substrate. Reminds me of some kind of archaological dig. A look like that might be complimented with ancient ruin-type decorations. If you are into that kind of thing.

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 02:18 AM
I found one thing using Laterite. You better plant everything all at once or you get a big puff of red clay everytime you mess with the base. It's not for those that plant one or two plants at a time (like me.)

nanaglen2001
05-31-2007, 06:57 AM
With this Laterite stuff you did a great job. I know someone who used that stuff in a 720 litres tank, and she messed it up. The Laterite was in the water, the tank was red for months!!!!!

She had to redo the whole job again, even though she made water changes almost every day.

Just think of all the money literately going down the drain:help:

Rue
05-31-2007, 09:50 PM
...another reminder of why I'm not planting my tank with a fertilizer...

Thank you Hobbs...you saved me a headache...:malelovies:

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
With this Laterite stuff you did a great job. I know someone who used that stuff in a 720 litres tank, and she messed it up. The Laterite was in the water, the tank was red for months!!!!!

She had to redo the whole job again, even though she made water changes almost every day.

Just think of all the money literately going down the drain:help:

A good way to deal with the laterite is to add just a tiny bit of water to a couple cups of Laterite in a bowl. Just enough water to make it a thick paste. Make little 1/2 balls of the stuff and bake it in the oven for half an hour at 250. This will keep it hard enough so the water won't break it up right away. Bury those in the substract.

I did what your friend did the first time I used the stuff. It needs to go in the very bottom level mixed with sand or even some gravel ........or sand layed down and the clay balls on top.........then capped with other sand or gravel by about 3 inches deep. Plant heavily and lay a plastic bag in the bottom when you fill the tank and fill slowly.

I didn't bother with the clay balls which still worked out fine but I should have planted heavily and been done with it. As it is now, disturbing the bottom shoots up the red cloud.

The next tank will have a sand base, laterite balls, about 2 inches of top soil and capped with gravel and planted heavily!!!!!!!!!