PDA

View Full Version : Octo's 55 gallon planted tank

octoxpuss
06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Ok, well many of you know that i have been trying for a planted tank for atleast some time now. [atleast a year] along with that i never really ahd the right stuff for the plants to grow. Today was the day i broke and i went to buy everything. So, i got Eco-complete planted substrate along with some flourish and root tabs. I figured this was the perfect timing wit hthe mis-hap of ruining the water quality. So i re-located my fish to My grandparents jsut for a while until the plants arrive and get to take root soo my fish are unable to dig them up. Anyway i will be asking plenty of question and i would love to hear suggestions about plant placement because, The tanks I see on here are very amazing.

This is what my tank looked like:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/aquarium.jpg

octoxpuss
06-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Stocking: I really want a schooling tank of a whole bunch of different colored fish and big schools. Anyone wnat to help me out. I mean like tetras and stuff. PS there will be a Pearl Gourami and an Angelfish. Oh it is a 55.

SunSchein89
06-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Harlequin rasboras compliment plants pretty nicely, I think. Placement would probably depend on what kind of plants you're looking at.

rothenb1
06-09-2010, 01:04 AM
What body shape do you prefer for tetras? They come in so many varieties! There's the torpedo-shaped ones, like the bloodfin or rummynose. There's thicker-bodied ones like serpae, lemon, black phantom. I'm sure if you just pick a color you like you can find a tetra to match :ssmile:

wolf_eyes
06-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Reds, yellows, and oranges will really stand out against plants since they are warm colors. Reds will stand out the most. Blue fish also stand out well because blue is a rarer color to find in fish. What fish are you going to keep from your old stock? That would help us narrow some species down for you.

Do you have any plants in mind yet?

octoxpuss
06-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Basically it is anyplant that will thrive in 2wpg and eco complete substrate with flourish every 4 days. Now i ahve a pearl gourami and an angelfish with a an organge circle on its head along with a white body. I dont really care what shape the tetras are in. Rummynose are hard to find here but would love to have them.

wolf_eyes
06-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Rummynose are a great fish . Even in a big group they school together 60-70% of the time. Most of your other schooling fish will only be in tight groups about 40-50% of the time. If you can get some, I would recommend it but if they're hard to find than it may not work out.

I'm not sure if you want to add to any of your bigger fish, but I would personally do two more pearls in a 55. Just make sure you either have all females or a male and 2 females. I would be iffy about adding more angels just because of aggression issues or in if they breed they may become territorial.

School wise I would look to some of these fish:cherry barb, harlequin rasbora, dwarf neon rainbowfish, silver/common hatchetfish, platies, green fire tetra, emperor tetra, diamond tetra, penguin tetra

Bottom dwellers: Sterbai cory, burmese border loach, peppered cory, trilineatus cory, agassizi cory, adolfo cory

Disclaimer: some of these fish have different ph needs, so a little research may be needed to see if they fit your tank of course:)

Plant wise, I would definitely add a grass plant. Corkscrew vals, jungle vals, giant hairgrass,crypt spiralis, crypt retrospiralis something along those lines. The vals and crypts would probably do better under the lighting you have. These plants can get big, but you can either let the excess leaf float on the surface and provide cover or trim them so they only reach the top. Trimming the leaves doesn't do much damage to the plant. Java fern would also be nice. Tiger lotus is a nice red plant that can grow in lower lights, just make sure to trim any leaves that reach the surface, otherwise it will stop producing leaves that stay underwater. Anacharis, brazilian penywort, giant hygro, water sprite, guppy grass, and hornwort, are all great stem plants for lower light. Crypt lucens, crypt wenditti, almost all anubius, most aponogeton, and banana plant are some nice larger leafed plants that would do well with your lighting as well.

Sorry to give you such a read lol. What type of flourish did you get? Some plants do not like Flourish Excel.

rothenb1
06-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I think if you have a lush green background, a couple large schools of long-finned serpaes and black phantoms would look absolutely spectacular.

http://bubblesaquarium.com/images/Fish/Tetras/Tetra_Serpae_Tetra_Long_Fin.jpg

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/characins/images/BlackPhantomTetraWFCh_C2464.jpg

But it is your choice... lol you may be helping me build my next tank!

octoxpuss
06-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I might think about hatchet fish, and the congo tetras. What i am worried about is that this tank will also house 1 angelfish. It is a shortfinned one. (doesnt have long flowing fins.) my Pearl gourami and a m and F betta. Can we base of of that.

wolf_eyes
06-09-2010, 11:00 PM
The fish I listed were picked because they are not know for nipping fins since i knew that would be an issue with the angelfish. The list also includes species that will be too big for the angel to eat.

octoxpuss
06-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Ok, what else is there or are those it? Ha. Just varieties of fish and i will try to narrow it down.

VoidParadigm
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
my Pearl gourami and a m and F betta. Can we base of of that.

Wait, what? Did I read that correctly, or was that bit of grammar a mistake?

You're planning to mix a cichlid, with a gourami, AND with two bettas?

As for tetras, I'd just go with something high-built, in case the Angel gets big enough to decide somebody's lunch.

octoxpuss
06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
This angel has been living with fry and stuff of convicts and never would eat them and i ahve had her for atleast 1.5 years. Well, make it just a female betta my male somehow got fin rot and died. He was in his own 3 gallon cycled tank for the time being. Wonder what caused it. Anyway.

VoidParadigm
06-11-2010, 07:36 PM
1.5 years is not a very long time. You can't account for what happens when the fish is more mature, especially since Angels can live at least five years, and a full decade or more is not rare. If you feel like risking something that could turn bite-sized in the years to come, you're welcome to.

Regardless, you need to make sure you follow a list of non-nipping-schoolers anyways, since both Gourami and Betta are also prone to nipping-abuse.

octoxpuss
06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Today i went to the lfs and i managed to pick up some stuff, i was able to get 5 gold barbs/5 cherry barbs/5 rasboras/5blackskirt tetras/5ottos + they gave me 5 australian rainbows for free because i bought so many fish. So what do i do.

VoidParadigm
06-16-2010, 08:35 PM
You accepted the Rainbows? If they're really Australians that's a possible 30''s of fish at a mature age, though due to any females and captivity chances are it'll be closer to 20''s. That's still a lot.

In my opinion, you now can't have the Gourami or Betta. And it'd be better to not have the Angel as well.

octoxpuss
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I decided that i am going to keep the gourami in a 30 gallon i am getting in about .5 month. So this will be a schooling fish tank. The angel will be at my grams 39 gallon bowfront since she has been looking for angel for quite some time and she always compliments me on how pretty it is. So. Yeah idk

octoxpuss
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I decided to go with a (quartz looking eco-complete) Can anyone give me a description or mention some nice plants that would go. I want a layered look. Tall in bak and it works its way down to the shortest. I would aslo like some color and bushiness. I have 2wpg and etc.

SunSchein89
06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Wisteria is pretty easy to find, has a nice light green color, grows fairly fast, and can get rather bushy. Also, the shape of the leaves normally changes from the bottom to the top closer to the light which adds some interest to it. May be worth a shot.

octoxpuss
06-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Wow, I can't believe it has been a year since I have posted on this thread. I seemed to find myself completely swept away by work and schooling, but guess what? It is now summer vacation and I am free to work on my tank, as long as I am not at work. Therefore this thread will be back in action. In a short while I will be posting a plan on the tank with stocking, and extra's.

Also, I know pictures are always appreciated. :D

octoxpuss
06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Basics:
55 gallon aquarium
2 wpg
eco-complete quartz substrate

Stocking:
1 featherfin catfish
2 angelfish (a pair)
1 pearl gourami
6 skunk loaches

Plants:
Who knows?

Suggestions appreciated.

octoxpuss
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Do not shoot me for this about to come up.

Basics:
55 gallon
2 wpg
quartz eco complete

Stocking
9 gold barbs
5 black skirt tetras
5 harquelin rasboras
1 peral gourami
1 featherfin catfish
1 angelfish
5 australian rainbows
1 albino cory

octoxpuss
06-18-2011, 03:24 AM
The tank as it stands now. Not all the lights are on.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/5989325d.jpg
New angelfish (plan on trying to pair with my other adult)r
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/31b113d1.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/a1a4532d.jpg

Sorry about pic quality. I like the domestic silver compared to the koi, I will try to get better pics as time goes. They are really pretty angelfish.

octoxpuss
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Today I happened to be at the lps and I saw some skunk loaches, I was surprised because usually they are not carried where I live, I had thought I was going to need to order them on line, anyway I snagged three of them at 2.99 each and I figured we will see how it goes. Yay. I am on my way to getting a nice aquarium, also Imanaged to snag some new plants I am not sure what they are but they look like the other plants I have just a lot lighter and plantlets coming off the bottom runners. hehehe

octoxpuss
06-24-2011, 02:57 AM
Well, today I added the 3 skunk loaches to my tank. They are doing beautifuly and I have to add that they are making a great addition. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with the overstocking at this point. My angelfish are growing quite rapidly on their diet. Thanks to mchkiller's suggestions. I did find a home for my 1 lonely albino cory now he has 14 friends to play with in a nice 75 gallon tank, atleast that is a plus. Sunday is going to be my cleaning day and it will be getting a good scrub down and hopefully a makeover depending on my new operations with decor (of the natural kind).

Anyway, anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of fish?
I am going to admitt that culling them had crossed my mind but I figured that is not fair since this is all my fault and I would never be able to live with myself. Anyone want some gold barbs or australian rainbows.

octoxpuss
07-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Still have most of my fish. I am thinking about adding 2 bristle noses to eliminate some algae. I am still looking for homes for my fish and I think I might have some lined up and ready to go. Like i said there is going to need some big changes here. Slowly it is getting under way.

octoxpuss
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Nothing has really changed. I am going to be updating in a little bit but as for pictures nothing has moved around I am working on getting a new light and some new plants and drift wood. I am hopefully going to have some stuff up and running in the month of august. I am waiting until I get done with vacation so I don't have to leave everything to someone else to do while it is in the middle of being transformed.

I am sorry for this boring thread. Meh.

octoxpuss
07-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Went on vacation for a week and just before I went I had redone the tank. I took some nice ponds stones and moved the piece of drift wood. I have to say it turned out nice. However while I was away I lost 4 fish. My pearl gourami :( and 3 australian rainbows. Pics

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/7e82b605.jpg

Also, I picked up some fish while on my vaca because on the way home we passed a fish store I noticed. Walked home with 1 angelfish and 5 more skunkloaches.

new angel:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/eb474fee.jpg

What do you think?

octoxpuss
07-30-2011, 01:58 AM
stocking list as of right now.

4 angels (looking for a pair)
8 Skunk loaches
1 featherfin catfish
5 blackskirt tetras
5 rasboras
8 gold barbs

Well with the passing of those 4 fish atleast It is becoming closer to my new stocking.

octoxpuss
08-06-2011, 10:00 PM
A lot has changed since I last updated. All my plants are growing something fierce. My Java Fern is increasing in size by milestones and I managed to get rid of 8 gold barbs so that makes me happy. My 8 skunk loaches are nasty little devils so they are in a tank by themselves yep. there went my dream stocking. I also lost my newest angelfish because of these skunk loach devils.

I got a call from my LFS today that I found like 2 or 3 weeks ago and he got a shipment of BN's plecos in today. So i got 2 1.5" plecs. should be interesting and fun for algae control.

As of right now my stocking is:

3 angels
1 featherfin catfish
5 blackskirt tetras
5 rasboras
2 BN Plecos.

octoxpuss
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I decided that I am going to change my stocking a bit I think I am going to do some schooling fish idk if it will be the black skirt tetra or rasabora or whatever. Anyway I wanted to show u the survivor out of the 2 BN places I am going to get 2 more he has them on hold at the lfs.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/ad0994c4.jpg

octoxpuss
08-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Went and picked up a new BN today. Sadly one had died that he was holding for me (last 2) so I only managed to get one. It looks really healthy but I also picked up a Black angel and a nice betta. I couldn't resist the beauty of this betta and for the price I got him. I named him ICE because when I picked him up I began to sing "Ice Ice baby". I will post pics tomorrow.

I will be posting pics next tuesday of my tank because MCHRkiller sent me tons and I mean TONS of plants. Thanks jenn.

octoxpuss
08-13-2011, 08:47 PM
The new fishies:

Black Angel / New BN pleco

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/0b2ffdbb.jpg

The new betta (delta tail) Ice

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/d3cc1aba.jpg

These are the tons of plants that MCHRkiller sent me. When I say tons I mean tons It took me almost 2 hours to put the Needleleaf on the piece of driftwood. If you look in the pics of the betta and the angel you will see the mass of plants floating in the tank until I had time to actually anchor them. They are in a 10 gallon this second because my light broke on the 55 so I ordered a new one and it will be here on monday. Hope everything goes ok from here.

The 1 and only pic i took of my plants:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/f8e45d63.jpg

DylanisHawttt
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
That's a gorgeous betta you got! I love that Angel as well :1luvu: You really weren't kidding... that's a LOT of plants Jenn sent you. :18:

octoxpuss
08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I know. So many plants I hope they grow in nicely on the log. Idk I don't plan on keeping them on the log it was mainly to anchor them down. Once I get more pieces of wood I will detach them and move them around

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 02:41 AM
I managed to get a better pick of my betts ICE

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/d5200a92.jpg

MCHRKiller
08-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Plants look like they arrived well, cant wait to see pics of them in their new home.

:hmm3grin2orange: Wish I had known you wanted some BNs, I have about 120 in my grow out tank now.

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 03:33 AM
I know I can't not wait to put them in my 55 gallon. I just have to wait for that light to come now. COME ON MONDAY LETS GO ALREADY. It tooke me forever to get the plants on the log. I will never touch fishing line again. (yes I will ) Anyway, I am still trying to figure out how I am going to place them. Any ideas.

MCHRKiller
08-14-2011, 03:49 AM
First thing I would do is design your tank's hardscape. Id remove all plants from said tank and concentrate on your wood and rock work. Once you get that settled you can begin thinking about plants to fill in the space and make the tank what you would like it to be. Fern is an excellent plant for attaching as it will soften the hardscape. I like to think of the tank's hardscape as its backbone, it provides structure for you to plant on and around.

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Ok, so remove the plants that Ihave growing already in it? will this harm the plants at all?

MCHRKiller
08-14-2011, 03:57 AM
I would, and work on the hardscape of the tank. Not if you remove them carefully and keep them wet...they should be fine. This will allow you to get your desired results without worrying about where the old plants are and where the new plants will go.

Forgot to mention, do you plan to add more driftwood? IME the tank needs a bit more wood...

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah, I just have not gotten a chance to go kayaking again. I will come home with a whole tree. haha. I plan to take two stumps and saw them at 90 degree angles so they fit in the corners of the tanks and have the root run underneath the gravel so they are sticking out and look like veins and create shelfs of different levels. Just have to go kayaking. That would be a sight. A tree being towed across a lake by a kayaker.

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Drew up a plan:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/e4d60345.jpg

Drawing this made me so excited to see it in real life.

MCHRKiller
08-14-2011, 05:15 AM
That is a very nice tank plan, I would check out thedriftwoodstore.com

he has some incredible pieces of wood and can help you find custom pieces like you want that will fit your tank. Another option is that you could buy some manzanita branches and create your own root system in the corners. Manzanita has gotten fairly cheap recently and its always a good easy choice for scaping. :22:

octoxpuss
08-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks, It took me ten minutes to draw. Ha if only it took me ten minutes to finish the tank like that. I am trying to figure it all out yet but I will check out the store. I have a 3 subject notebook just for this tank and it full of scribbles and mistakes and think I am not going to do that I was going to do at first. Ya know. The organized chaos that keeps me sane.

octoxpuss
08-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Today I recieved my Nova Extreme x2 for lighting on my tank. :D I ripped that sucker open and I was amazed with how well it was built. Realy nice light. THANKS HOBBSY. ;D

Anyway, I am going to do some updating. I will let the pictures talk, then I will talk some more. :D Sounds like a good plan right? Also, I am seeeing how many " :D " Ican put in this post before anyone catches on. :D. hha

FTS:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/1243c125.jpg

Left Side:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/ac972c89.jpg

Center:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/401a455f.jpg

Right Side:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/c5ddbbed.jpg

I know this looks absolutely nothing like my drawn plan but this is a temporary set up. I actually am kind of liking the way it looks. I am just waiting to get drift wood then I will have the set up I am planning. This is more or so to let the plans grow in and get comfortable I am going to wait approx 2 weeks see how they are doing and then get the drift wood and undig them all and go from there. I am also going to add some more substrate, as I am in need of some, sadly they discontinued the type of eco-complete I had so now I am just going to get a layer of sand for under neath gravel, it will benefit the plants more too. Easier to root through. :D

I hope you like the entry and stay tuned now the fun begins.

Special TANKS.
MCHRKiller - Thank you for the wonderful plants I really appreciate it. :D

LadyHobbs - Thank you for suggesting this light, so far it has been worth it. :D

MCHRKiller
08-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Now you just need to rig up some CO2 on there so your plants can make use of all that lighting :22:

octoxpuss
08-16-2011, 03:54 AM
I know I am thinking about doing the whole yeast in a 2 liter bottle, how much does a Pressurized system cost?

MCHRKiller
08-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Pressurized can vary greatly in price from around $75-several hundred. Then you must decide if you want to use paintball or a larger tank, paintball setups can be very inexpensive as most people just use a CO2 controller instead of a full regulator. You can get a CO2 controller for a paintball tank for around $30-40, then you would just need a checkvalve...tubing and a means of injecting the gas into the tank. A red sea reactor would be good for a tank your size....they cost around $40.

For DIY you would need atleast 2*3L soda bottles, I would connect them together using a Tvalve and then running them into the a reactor.

octoxpuss
08-16-2011, 01:32 PM
For the DIY CO2 I don't need to fill up both bottles with yeast solution. One is just to remove impurities. It will be. It will be A little till I buy the pressurized system.

MCHRKiller
08-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I would use both with a yeast solution, your going to need several bottles to supply a 55G tank with enough CO2. You may even need more than the 2 bottles I mentioned.

I am not sure what you mean by remove impurities? There is nothing to remove...CO2 is CO2.

octoxpuss
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I read that you should have a second bottle where you run the tubing through water like you would an aerator so that way if anything gets into the tube then it comes out in the water in the 2nd bottle. How many would you think.

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 02:55 AM
I drew up a sketch of what I am going to have my DIY CO2 setup look like. Iam going to use 2 liter bottles because that is what I have and I might end up having 4 of them. You can read the rest in the pic I am including. I am still debating whether or not Iwant to move the fish to the other tanks I ahve for the time being until I get the tank stable with CO2 so it does not throw the tank PH out of wack and possiblykill the fish I just worked so hard on. ANY IDEAS?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/83c428b2.jpg

This is the book that I got for 5 bucks and it is helping me quite a bit. It was origianly 39.95 but I got it on sale because they are clearing out books at my local book store.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u209/octoxpuss/39f54dda.jpg

MCHRKiller
08-17-2011, 03:07 AM
I would try 2 3L bottles first and see what that gets you. Here is my mixture per liter of water(so times each by 2 or 3 depending on the size bottle you use)

3/4 cup of sugar
1/8 tsp of champagne yeast(infinitely better than baking yeast)
1/8tsp of baking soda
tepid water filled to about 4" below the cap of the bottle

Baking yeast will not give you 2-3 weeks of stable production, Champagne yeast will. It does not spike and then fizzle out production rapidly like Baking yeast.

Also be sure to buy a drop checker, 4dkh solution and an indicator so you know how much CO2 is in your water.

The plan for using your filter impellers to chop the CO2 will be fine...however the nature of your HOBs will not make as much CO2 disolved into the tank as it could be with a good reactor. It will do for the time being...but definitely get a reactor.

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Which one do you recommend, I mean in the reactor division.

How much CO2 should be in the water?

Ha generic question but hey, I am still researching.

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Also, I am not sure what a drop checker test thing you said is, I googled it and I am getting so many different things. OH NO!

MCHRKiller
08-17-2011, 03:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/aquarium-CO2-glass-drop-checker-test-4oz-4dKH-liquid-/260832746510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item8265343087

Everything you need right there, you the glass drop checker...4dKH solution...and the indicator drops.

The drop checker is essentially just that strange looking glass thing, you put enough 4dKH solution in it to fill the round ball part about 3/4 full and then you add 3-4 drops of the CO2 indicator.

In response to the concentration of CO2 in your tank the liquid in the drop checker will change colors....Yellow=too much Co2, Blue=too little Co2, Green=prefect level of Co2.

I also recommend the Red Sea Co2 reactor 500 w/pump for your tank...it is about as cheap as you can get for a store bought reactor

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 03:32 AM
In time I will get that reactor. Because of this light I am kind of feeling pain in my wallet, I also had my girlfriends birthday and Yeah i spent a lot. Thank god I have a job is all I can say

How do you attach that drop checker? It looks complicated.

MCHRKiller
08-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Nope, very simple it just suction cups to the inside of your tank.

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 03:43 AM
AHA!, Thanks for the MCHKiller, I dont know if you like being called by your name. Otherwise I would just type that instead. Ha. Mine is Justin as you know. HA Ha HA. Um I am going to place the order for the thinger that is awkwardly shaped. HAHAHAAHAHA just had to laugh anyway, then worry about the reactor

octoxpuss
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
We have tons of 2 liter bottles I could use for this system, any clue on how many I would need, it seems that instead of using a 3 liter I might as well use the 2 liter unless you think it is necessary that I use 3 liter. If so how many you know I asked this before but, could you restate that for me.

MCHRKiller
08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Just use the 2L if that is what you have, I would start with 2 bottles and see where that brings you. You may need to add a 3rd or 4th. It is difficult to say just how much CO2 any specific tank will require it really comes down to the amount of surface agitation, plant load, water circulation, and the effectiveness of your method of absorbing CO2 into the water.

You may call me Jenn or any variations of my screen name....I am not picky.

octoxpuss
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Ok. Jenn (awkward)

I am going to have the bottles hidden so It didnt matter to me how many it takes, that is why I would use the 2 liters because I have tons.

You think that I should do champagne yeast and how much or how little should I use, do I have to wait until I get that little awkward shaped thinger to hook up the CO2 or do you think that I should just hook it up and worry about that thinger later. Ha.

P.S. the money wort grew some sizeable roots and is now shooting off some new branches. Since I got the new light.

MCHRKiller
08-18-2011, 05:24 AM
i would wait until you get the drop checker. Yes def. use champagne yeast it is much more stable, and use it just how you would baking yeast. I posted the recipe I use earlier.

octoxpuss
08-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I was just checking to see of it varied because of bottle size. Ps the moneywort is shooting like a rocket I woke up and it has like tons of leaflets and roots and it is really green

MCHRKiller
08-18-2011, 08:56 PM
DIY is a guessing game, it is hard to say how many bottles you will need. I will say that 2-4 bottles would be your target, do start with 2 and see how that goes and if you find you need more do the same setup with 2 more.

I am glad that the moneywort is doing well...all of the plants in your tank will really take off when you get CO2 rolling.

octoxpuss
08-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Cool, today I managed to get 2 2liter bottles and 1 3 liter from family, by sat I will have 4 2 liter bottles. YAY! then I am going to do the drop checker order on sunday I believe, should be fun.

octoxpuss
08-20-2011, 02:43 AM
All the stores have is active dry yeast and rapid release yeast what should I use?

MCHRKiller
08-20-2011, 04:16 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-10-RED-STAR-DRY-CHAMPAGNE-YEAST-5g-WINE-MAKING-NEW-/260768240828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6ff94bc

I really wouldnt mess with either of those, they are not stable you will get a huge surge of CO2 production and a week later youll have next to nothing being produced. Champagne yeast produces a very stable production for around 2-3weeks. This is the yeast that I use, it is a best offer auction so I am sure you could get it for less. 10 packs of yeast will last you for atleast a 6 months so it is a very cheap solution.

octoxpuss
08-21-2011, 02:20 AM
I am going to havemymom check the local alcohol shops.

octoxpuss
08-22-2011, 03:24 AM
The vals are really going to town in the aquarium. Since I put them in my main tank with the new light all of them have already set runners out with little plants and it is beggining to create a foest. UHOH. This weekend better come fast because that is not ho I want them to stay. BUM BUM BUM

MCHRKiller
08-22-2011, 04:16 AM
I am sure you can find champagne yeast anywhere that sells home brew supplies. Glad to hear the plants are doing well for you :11:

octoxpuss
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
That is what I thought, I figured that I have yet to look in all places possible, so before I order offline I will buy some somewhere. Still have yet to order Dropchecker my bro is being stupid with this paypal/ebay thinger.

octoxpuss
08-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Well, I managed to get 1 of my chambers created. It is 2 2liter bottles hooked together by a T valve. Then coming off the T-valve is a Check Valve. Ha. Ha. to many valves.

I managed to get 1 3 liter bottle but as of this moment I working on a 3rd I might just do 2 3 liters.

Just have to find the yeast and then get the dropchecker BUM BUM BUM

octoxpuss
10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Everything is growing is awesome, I honestly am enjoying watching this. I still have not bee nable to make the tank look the way I want it too. But I am really enjoying this.

octoxpuss
10-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Well, my CO2 system (DIY) is working beautiful. I am very pleased with whole system I have 4 2liter bottles with a champagne yeast concoction. I am starting to stock it like I would like.

right now 4 angelfish
1 BN Pleco (the othere dissapeard)
1 betta
5 black skirt tetras
2 rasbora
1 flame dwarf gourami
1featherfin cat
I am thinking about getting rid of the rasbora. I am really debating on what Iwant to get next, I want some color, I have all of these dull colored fish that have strking silver and white patters with some black that captur my attention and then I have the albino BN and a baby Blue betta (ice) and now the flame dwarf gourami, I am trying to add some color to the tank but it little variations as possible, my tank looks so amazing it is not funny and Iam thanking all of you so much.