PDA

View Full Version : Too many snails

chickenlady
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a yellow shrimp tank that is turning into a snail tank. I guess snails were imported on the plants, but now I am at the point where they are eating all the food I put in there. So I have to put extra in for the shrimp. I have put assassin snails in and that didn't work. I have a friend at a local LFS who doesn't think putting a couple of loaches in would work, that they'd eat the shrimp. Also those dwarf puffers would eat the shrimp. I would break it down, but I am just now seeing baby shrimp in there so don't want to lose them. any Ideas to get rid of them? Picking them out doesn't help. Snail traps catch shrimp as well as snails. And my plants are turning into blobs of snail eggs.

Northernguy
06-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Feed less and let the assassin snails do their work.Feed every other day in smaller amounts.

Dave66
06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a yellow shrimp tank that is turning into a snail tank. I guess snails were imported on the plants, but now I am at the point where they are eating all the food I put in there. So I have to put extra in for the shrimp. I have put assassin snails in and that didn't work. I have a friend at a local LFS who doesn't think putting a couple of loaches in would work, that they'd eat the shrimp. Also those dwarf puffers would eat the shrimp. I would break it down, but I am just now seeing baby shrimp in there so don't want to lose them. any Ideas to get rid of them? Picking them out doesn't help. Snail traps catch shrimp as well as snails. And my plants are turning into blobs of snail eggs.

You have a bloom of snails because there is too much food in the system. Adding extra for the shrimp just gets you more snails. Do not by any means use any product to get rid of the snails, since those products will kill the shrimp as well.

Start feeding the shrimp a lot less than you think you should - tiny portions, twice a day. In time you'll start seeing less and less snails until just a few are left. Will take weeks until you start to see less snails, but once the extra food is gone, so will they be.

Dave