PDA

View Full Version : fiddlers

Jeddi
06-05-2010, 02:12 AM
im thinking of stocking one of my 10 gallon tanks with fiddlers. Would 1 male and 3 females be a good ratio?

Also, where would I get them? None of my lfs carries them, and I'm not sure about chain pet stores. Any reputable places to buy online? I don't want to have crabs shipped to me only to find half of them are dead or see tons of limbs broken off.

Could I house a red claw crab in the 20g instead, if I can't figure out where to get a fiddler crab from? And how many could fit in there exactly? And could they be kept with any fish or other inverts?

Northernguy
06-05-2010, 02:47 AM
They need a dry area of sand,earth or small gravel that they can burrow through.They also need some brackish water to soak in.75-80* is good for them.
They eat shrimp pellets and other sinking pellet food.Research a good varied diet for them.
Many fish stores carry them.I do suggest you find some good information on them first so your tank is properly set up when you find some.
The female have small claws and the males have one large claw.

Kazenouta
06-05-2010, 03:06 AM
NG has given you a really great reply here as far as setup and the like is concerned so I won't try to improve on that.
What I will say though is that liveaquaria has fiddlers that they sell on their site. I haven't bought any fiddlers through them but what I have bought through them (i.e. plants, fish, chem) have all been absolutely top notch. Of course, buying them through this route means a considerable chunk of change.

Jeddi
06-05-2010, 03:17 AM
I always do my researcH before even considering a tank inhabitant :P I know pretty much all that's need to be known about them. I'm just wondering where to get them...

I've heard petsmart carries them but I didn't see them on their site...

Northernguy
06-05-2010, 03:30 AM
If you go to a store you get to choose the ones that you want.You also get them home faster!lol
I have also never ordered fish on line.

Jeddi
06-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to order them online somehow :(