PDA

View Full Version : no boom boom

missusthinksimashrimpgeek
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
My rcs are doing fine apart from 1 thing breeding!!! How can I encourage them to get the boom boom going on???
There's positive males as small and no saddle aswell as plenty of saddled females,
2 have carried eggs b 4 but molted and never picked the eggs back up.

korith
06-05-2010, 04:56 AM
My rcs are doing fine apart from 1 thing breeding!!! How can I encourage them to get the boom boom going on???
There's positive males as small and no saddle aswell as plenty of saddled females,
2 have carried eggs b 4 but molted and never picked the eggs back up.

Best thing to do, keep water conditions stable. What I've found works well for my shrimp tanks, is the less I mess with the tanks, the better off the shrimp are. I find that doing water changes when shrimp are saddled can sometimes cause them to molt/drop eggs. I prolong the water changes in the shrimp tanks usually, just small partial changes every few weeks seems to do the job.

Jacko
06-05-2010, 05:03 AM
+1 to korith...

Adding new blood can also help up the chances of yours breeding, my friend had a tank of 500+ and hadn't seen any berried females or babies in months... added half a dozen from the LFS and had an explosion of berried females in the last couple weeks

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Sounds like you already got the good advice from above posters. This should help with the "boom-boom".

*sigh

SharkBait1992
06-07-2010, 03:25 AM
does anyone know how long after the shrimp mate do the eggs start to show?

korith
06-07-2010, 04:42 AM
does anyone know how long after the shrimp mate do the eggs start to show?

Once the eggs are in the swimmerettes, it can take around 3-4 weeks for rcs.

SkipW
06-07-2010, 06:45 PM
If that doesn't work try dimming the lights and play some Marvin Gaye or Barry White. :hmm3grin2orange: Or maybe they might prefer something off The Little Mermaid soundtrack.

missusthinksimashrimpgeek
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks 4 all the tips people, pmsl @ skipW. Well I did a big water change
About 5 days ago now and well there must be some boom boom as 1 has eggs on her swimerettes and 1 has molted with about 7 eggs on the skin :(
Now my worst fear is the other shrimp does the same as it has shed eggs b4

korith
06-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks 4 all the tips people, pmsl @ skipW. Well I did a big water change
About 5 days ago now and well there must be some boom boom as 1 has eggs on her swimerettes and 1 has molted with about 7 eggs on the skin :(
Now my worst fear is the other shrimp does the same as it has shed eggs b4

Younger female shrimp may drop eggs or not pick them back up after they molt. As they mature they won't do it as often. Keeping water conditions stable will help. Also do smaller water changes instead of larger ones.