PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a Giant

Sasquatch
06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
My girlfriend recently bought a giant plakat betta and is wondering how much to feed it.

At the moment she feeds it dried mysis and blodworms, flakes and pellets. When she arrives at work, the betta is pale with horizontal bands showing. He darkens after she feeds him, but pales again a few hours later. Upon re-feeding him, he darkens again.

How often and how much should she be feeding her betta? She's used to normal bettas that you don't feed very much (1-2 pellets per day), so she's somewhat taken aback by how much she's feeding this giant.

FYI, he's in a 5g filtered, heated tank with some plants and snails. Ammonia and nitrites are 0.

Irish2539
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I think iv seen these guys before.. they are nearly double the size of normal betta's yeah...? Im not sure why its only colouring up when its fed but personally id just feed it a bit more then id feed a regular betta... If its only new then it will prob colour up once its settled...

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Guess he comes out of his resting colors and gets excited at feeding time. Only heard of these giant Betta's just lately here.

DragonGoby
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi!
Actually when I bought him, he was very brightly colored... And he was in a little bowl, with no filtration.
The first time I noticed this loss of color was when I didn't came for three days in a row... When I came back, the little guy was totally discolored and showing horizontal stripes. I feed him and after two days of heavy feeding he darken up nicely! I tested the water: no ammonia, no nitrites... I thought that it was the pH around 7.6-7.8... I know it's high for a betta, but I thought that, as I had him for three weeks with a pH like that, he would have react sooner... But I can't be wrong...:14:

Well, know, each morning he's a little discolored (not much but not the bright blue and red he has normally) and showing horizontal stripes. I don't want to overfeed the little bugger, I love him dearly (call him Sushi... He's a big guy!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: ) but I don't want to starve him either...

A little advice and help???

Rhaethe
06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
From my understanding, the horizontal stripes are what are commonly called "stress stripes". They can also appear, however, when the betta is showing submission, or at rest when still young.

Contrary to his size, he could be a very very young betta.

As far as feeding, I've generally used the "poochy belly" as a mark of how much to feed. If, after feeding, he has a nicely rounded belly, that's fine. If it pooches out too much, it's too much.

I would also check out his environment nearby the tank and see if there's anything that might be spooking him. A 25% water change might help, too.

DragonGoby
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks!thumbs2:

I was wondering how old he is... Never think he could be "that" young...

I'm doing a partial change of water around twice a week (the aquarium is at work and doing a good full water change at once is not that easy...:scry: ) that correspond roughly at 25%. And I keep an eye on the level of ammonia and nitrites...

The aquarium is on my desk, so I will check if there is something spooky around him, but most of the time, when I put something next the aquarium, Sushi comes and check it... I find it funny!

I will keep in mind the "not too poochy belly"... But for example, this morning I have to gave him two dried mysis shrimp (bits after bits after bits) before he darken up and keep his bright blue color... And I find it's a lot!!!!

Oh and, he's not going to stay in the 5 gal... Soon he will go in a 10 gal... The 5 gal will receive a "normal" betta while Mr Sushi could have the chance to meet a girlfriend... But that would be another post!!!

thanks again and if you have other advice or else with plakat and their huge apetite, you're welcome!!!!

Rhaethe
06-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Something else that comes to mind, since you mention he's at your work office ...

It could be he's really bored (and therefore stressed). Betta are inquisitive fish, and some need interaction, or at least an environment they can interact with ... even if its just squeezing into small spaces. Think of them as "ferret fish" :sbiggrin:

It sounds weird, but plop a ping pong ball in the tank. Or one of those small hollow floaty logs.

The betta my boyfriend has acted really weird and angry for a while. Always with stress coloring, and constantly flaring at everything. We got a floaty hollow log thing, and now he 's fine. He has lots of things to swim through and around now, and sometimes even "chases" the floaty log when it floats in the current.

DragonGoby
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Well, I was thinking about that too... That's why I try to put new things around the tank...

There are some plants and a log in the aquarium and he spend time try to go in and squeezing between the log and the glass or between the log and the plant...

But I will try the ping pong ball and try to find the floating log.Everything for the little guy to feel happy and better.:1luvu:

Thanks again!

tanks4thememories
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I have never herd of these. Sounds cool. Any Pics?

DragonGoby
06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Not yet... But as soon as I can I will show you my "little" buddy... He's already bigger than a "normal" betta... His fin are smaller too...

All in all, he's a funny little guy!!!:1luvu:

tanks4thememories
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Not yet... But as soon as I can I will show you my "little" buddy... He's already bigger than a "normal" betta... His fin are smaller too...

All in all, he's a funny little guy!!!:1luvu:

Sweet!! I will look forward to it. Sounds like a cool fish.

korweabo0
06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
looking forward for th epictures~

DragonGoby
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
No pictures for the moment, but just an update on the "feeding" situation of my plakat...

He's eating like a pig!!!! And I swear, I'm keeping a very very open eye on his tummy to be sure that I don't overfeed him... not bulge... at all!!! even after three mysis shrimp... What did I buy? a pirahna in a betta disguise??????:ssuprised:

I buy him a pingpong ball, with lots of color on it... He doesn't seem to be very interested... No, he doesn't care at all!!!!!

Well, my little buddy is a special one, and I have to show some picture of him soon!

Time-Out
06-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Just wondering... are you sure he's a 'he' and not a 'she'?

DragonGoby
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, No I'm not sure 100%, because as a plakat, he doesn't have the big fin of normal male betta. Will it change its behavior? and eat habit?

Here's why I think it's a boy: I've buy him for a boy, he's flaring at anything and he had built yesterday the biggest bubble nest I've ever seen... it's so thick, it Looks like foam rather than bubble.
So, if it's a girl, she doesn't seem to know how to act like a lady!:hmm3grin2orange:

ayra321
06-10-2010, 03:12 PM
well he sounds like he has quite the personality! good luck with him and hope he doesent eat you out of house and home!

DragonGoby
06-10-2010, 03:43 PM
If he doesn't eat my finger first!!!!!

I will post picture of him as soon as I resize them... I try to upload them this morning but I suppose the pics were too big... :scry:

Ashley
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
resize the pic so we can see him!!! I have a new found love for bettas and understand their addictiveness!! I love the name Sushi by the way!!

DragonGoby
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I will try my best for the pics, as soon as possible, but I'm at work now (oooooooops) and don't have access to my software....

As for the name... Well... We were looking for one that go with his size... And finally... he's quiet a mouthful to handle! :hmm3grin2orange: (if it's the correct way to say it???(blush) ), hence his name!

tanks4thememories
06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
We want pics...we want pics...lol

Sasquatch
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
After a little wait, here he is.

SUSHI!

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=18425&cat=500&ppuser=5260

The blue didn't come out very well, but you can see the cabomba behind him, to give you an idea of the scale.

tanks4thememories
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Nice colors!! Thanx for sharing:19:

DragonGoby
06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Actually the blue didn't show at all... All his fins are red with bright blue on it. It shows best when he's flaring as a mad betta!
he has blue on his body too, on the edge of his scales....
thumbs2:

DragonGoby
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Last update on the "big, monstrous, pig eating" betta I bought...:hmm3grin2orange:

I still can't believe it... I'm sure he's going to fall ill anytime now... But no... He's well, good, vibrant color... Active....

You wonder why I'm surprise he's still alive? It's because of the huge quantity of food this betta is gobbling...

10 pellets a day! with more or less 5 to 8 plankton... :think: :shocked: :seeingstars:

I'm the first to say: don't overfeed fish... But at 5 pellets a day, Sushi was still active weirdly, paling... Still begging for food... I was thinking that what it was eating was enough... Seems I was wrong....

Anyway, If you ever buy a giant plakat betta? Keep in mind it will eat a lot!!!!

VoidParadigm
06-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I would like to try one someday, so thank you for posting that tip about your experience with him. =)
I haven't been following this thread, so perhaps I'll go back and read it all. =P

DragonGoby
06-25-2010, 03:57 PM
@VoidParadigm: When you have one, show us some pics, they are beautiful fishes!!!

I hope to have some decent pictures one day. I will be glad to show him in his flaring state!

I don't know for other plakat, Sushi is my first one, but for the moment, I like very much his behaviour, his way of following my finger, looking at what I'm doing. Very active and interactive fish!

But their is "downside" with a plakat: the fact that he eat enourmously... Something I'm still not sure about... I'm still afraid I overfeed him... (but he proves me wrong every day).
And the fact that a 5 gal is not enough for him. Soon (after we relocate ourselves!!!) we will buy him a 40 gal, with a separation.
He will have a 20 gal for himself. On the other side? A betta sorority tank...
Still in project! We shall see!

DragonGoby
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
A quick update about our giant betta, Sushi.

Yesterday we rehome him in a long 15 gal. We put some plants and wood in there with him. He looked happy and ate like the pig he is.
The 5gal on my desk is the new home of my 6 endlers. This morning they seem unphazed by the change of tank (It's the beginning of big swapping: betta rutilans in the 10gall, Endlers in the 5gal, etc... Should end with a new 65 gal... Hehe).

We're keeping an eye on him, now, to be sure he's adapting correctly. As well as an eye on the endlers (right in front of me while I'm writing this...).

Hopefully I will find someone who can lend me a camera and I will get you some pics.

MCHRKiller
08-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I have a very oversized Red Dragon HMPK...he isnt a true giant but he is much larger than any betta I have seen in person. I feed him his fill once per day...he eats bloodworms out of a syringe, I would guess 15 or so at a time. My normal HMPK eats about 6-7 worms and is stuffed. He will also chow down on around a dozen pellets at a time where the other betta eats about half as much. The oversized one isnt by any means fat...he is much more streamlined than the other as well. Just feed him as much as he wants at a time, I usually feed until the belly area looks to be plump and he fish isnt as interested in food anymore.

Pleco380
08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Nice looking betta!

DragonGoby
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a very oversized Red Dragon HMPK...he isnt a true giant but he is much larger than any betta I have seen in person. I feed him his fill once per day...he eats bloodworms out of a syringe, I would guess 15 or so at a time. My normal HMPK eats about 6-7 worms and is stuffed. He will also chow down on around a dozen pellets at a time where the other betta eats about half as much. The oversized one isnt by any means fat...he is much more streamlined than the other as well. Just feed him as much as he wants at a time, I usually feed until the belly area looks to be plump and he fish isnt as interested in food anymore.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm doing. He's eating around 10 pellets a day and the trest is plankton... I'Ve tried frozen food now that he's at home but he doesn't seems to recognise it as food... I'll try again later!
And no, he's not "fat".... But he's so much bigger than a normal betta, I,m always amazed...thumbs2:

Well, If I'm lucky, I will get you some new pics of him in his 15 gal!