PDA

View Full Version : How can i make this work?

octoxpuss
06-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Ok, so i am going to plant my 55 gallon aquarium now that i have the time/space for everything to get it assembled. Well i am just wondering Since eco complete is extremely expensive around here I was wonderinga cheaper yet effective way of turning ordinary gravel into something a plant would flourish in. What could i put in it if you know what i am talking about. If not u know how eco complete has all the rocks and stuff that benefit plants (minerals) well what could i add to ordinary gravel that workks just as well but is cheaper too.

Lady Hobbs
06-03-2010, 05:09 AM
The problem with gravel is that the roots can not spread out as they should. Many plants have very small runners and roots and can go no where in gravel.

I use this

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

Cheaper than other planted tanks substrates and grows plants nicely. IMO is even cheaper than buying aquarium gravel. That 5 gallon pail is what I bought which is enough to do a 55 gallon nicely.

Lab_Rat
06-03-2010, 05:14 AM
You can mix a bag or two of flourite in with fine gravel/large grained sand.

octoxpuss
06-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok, Well Lady Hobbs i was hoping for an instore pick up. :D thanks tho, U r right it is cheaper too. Labrat What do you mean by fluorite? You just go out and by flourite, i was going to get Some gravel that is finer for my aquarium and it is called the "riverbed" mix and i was going to mix in something with it but i dont know what. that stuff is insane tho for plant. :D where do they get these prices. MY God