PDA

View Full Version : Mounting legs on light fixture

Lady Hobbs
05-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok. You all know I have been looking at lights for what seems like 15 years now. On 3 different sites, I have read:

Adjustable mounting legs not recommended for use with a hood enclosure or for aquariums using a glass canopy.

Something else to confuse me, I guess. What's the difference if the light lays on the glass or sits above the glass on legs? The only thing I can rationalize is sitting above the glass means the light directly hits the glass and laying on it the light goes thru the glass. Sounds stupid to me but there has to be a reason I'm not grasping.

How can you have a light without a top on the tank! My silver dollars would be laying on my floor.

Chrona
05-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Ok. You all know I have been looking at lights for what seems like 15 years now. On 3 different sites, I have read:

Adjustable mounting legs not recommended for use with a hood enclosure or for aquariums using a glass canopy.

Something else to confuse me, I guess. What's the difference if the light lays on the glass or sits above the glass on legs? The only thing I can rationalize is sitting above the glass means the light directly hits the glass and laying on it the light goes thru the glass. Sounds stupid to me but there has to be a reason I'm not grasping.

How can you have a light without a top on the tank! My silver dollars would be laying on my floor.

The adjustable legs clamp onto the inside of the tank. Thus you can't really get a enclosure or a lid without carving some holes on the side, and even then you'd have to remove the light to take the hood off. I use the normal coralife mounting legs and have it sitting on a plexiglass cover, which is still kinda awkward but at least I can slide out the cover when I need to.

The additional height actually means you get less light going into the tank. However, if your particular fixture doesn't have a built in fan, it can get really hot if it's right on the glass with no ventilation. Ideally, you would have a lidless planted tank, as covers will absorb/reflect light, but as you know, it's not always possible.

Lady Hobbs
05-30-2007, 05:22 AM
I wondered if that could be the reason. With the versa-hoods, the back panel of glass is wider than the front opening so lights can be used better and shouldn't have to be removed just for feeding but I suppose removing the lights constantly would be a PITA. I just wondered if that was the reason or some mysterious other reason.

Thanks