PDA

View Full Version : Are they compatible

octoxpuss
06-02-2010, 02:19 AM
So are common plecos able to get along with african cichlids? -> simple enough question since i seem to over do them. Ha. It is weird only typing this little. :P and yet i just keep on going. STOPPIN NOW. <- just had to add the period.:sconfused: :sconfused:

sheamurai
06-02-2010, 02:23 AM
lol

Its hit and miss, like so many things with Africans. Sometimes they are fine (usually if the pleco is bigger than the cichlids) but sometimes they will harass it to death, or it will live but be minus an eyeball...

EmmanuelJB
06-02-2010, 02:24 AM
It could work. But it all depends. Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to get a real small one in a tank with large african cichlids. But it might work it might not. Make sure you have lots of hiding places.

octoxpuss
06-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Now this one i have is about 10 inches and i was going to put africans in with it do you thing it would survive if i put little africans in with it? Meaning in the long run once they grow out too.

sheamurai
06-02-2010, 02:35 AM
well, in the long run a common pleco wouldn't be very happy in a 30gal tank (according to your siggy).

But you ought to be ok with smaller cichlids.

octoxpuss
06-02-2010, 02:38 AM
I plan do some changing around. Just saying the common pleco is in a 55 gallon where it will stay. I have had if for 7 years so i dont plan to get rid of it. It was the first fish i had and loved it ever since. Just saying, i know how wrong it is but i just cant get it to give him away.

Lab_Rat
06-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Plecos may or may not be compatible with mbuna. It's hit and miss and you can't even go with species generalizations. Totally depends on the individual. Armored plecs do have a better chance of surviving with mbuna than many other fish. You do need a much larger tank for the plec than 55g, which I'm sure you know. It's not fair to keep a fish in a tank that it can't turn around in without having to bend.

Lady Hobbs
06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I do not think I'd chance it on a favorite fish. Pleco's love the rocks for hiding but those are the cichlid caves which they will defend from others. Cichlids also like small, tight caves so where does that leave the pleco? I just don't see it. Let him have the other tank with his own space, wood and caves of his own.

Sursion
06-03-2010, 01:48 AM
Try to score a really big mature one. My LFS has a gigantic pleco for sale.

rothenb1
06-03-2010, 02:38 AM
I have a 6 inch albino BN pleco in with my mbunas. When I first put him in the cichlids tried to take a bite out of him, but I threw some food in and they've left him totally alone since. The cichlids are about 4 inches, in a 55gal with lots of rocks/crevices. The pleco seems to hide during the day when it's light out but comes out when it's dark. It's bizarre.