PDA

View Full Version : 20g Coldwater Stocking Options.

octoxpuss
06-01-2010, 02:37 AM
No ideas, just want to hear what you would do. I have a 20 gallon tank that is empty and i am thinking about doing a 20 gallon coldwater tank that wil lbe planted. So help me out, thanks in advance.

VoidParadigm
06-01-2010, 03:26 AM
If it was mine I'd be doing one Ryukin Goldfish, OR fill it to the brim with minnows.

Depending on where it was in the house (temperature of the room, etc) might even just do a subtropical species instead of a true coldwater tank.

octoxpuss
06-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Well i didnt want to have a heater since it will be located in our living room the tem usually ranges from 66-74 that is. OH btw i forgot to mention i really dont like goldfish to much. I am sorry for that.

octoxpuss
06-01-2010, 09:35 AM
along with that is it possible to just use dirt in ur aquarium as a substrate?

VoidParadigm
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
So long as it's not treated with chemicals or fertilizer, dirt works decently. Not as clean as gravel, not as nice as sand, but if you and the plants don't mind mud, there's no definite reason NOT to use dirt. All preference, once you get past the source.

aussie114
07-24-2010, 12:19 PM
A crayfish

jclee
07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
No ideas, just want to hear what you would do. I have a 20 gallon tank that is empty and i am thinking about doing a 20 gallon coldwater tank that wil lbe planted. So help me out, thanks in advance.

You might look into the danios. White cloud minnows also prefer cooler water, and there are some species of livebearers from the florida area that can do well at cooler temps.

along with that is it possible to just use dirt in ur aquarium as a substrate?

You might want to research the Natural Planted Tank method if you're interested in a dirt substrate. Be sure to use topsoil without added fertilizers, to about an inch deep, and then cap it with a layer of gravel or sand, also an inch deep (otherwise the dirt will constantly move and float around the tank).

teddscau
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
White clouds! They're hardy fish that can stand temperatures almost to freezing. I have one in a 5g, but the water keeps going up to 78. Way too warm! There are golden white clouds and normal ones. If you take proper care of them they can be quite pretty.

Flakes4Bait
07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
I also like the White Cloud minnows. I've had them in the past and they are cool (pun intended) little fish.

Elliriyanna
08-17-2010, 04:48 PM
white clouds are great you could also get a fancy goldfish and a really good filter :) They are really fun to watch

mermaidwannabe
10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Some fancy goldfish, like Shubunkins, are very beautiful. Bunkins are calicos -- not your typical boring all-orange fish. You can also get calicos and speckled goldfish of other species. They even come in black. The fancy varieties offer lots of different options.

The White Cloud minnows resemble the tropical neon tetras, but are a little larger and can thrive in coldwater whereas the tetras cannot. I'm thinking of putting several in my own tank. They're tiny -- adult size an inch and a half. So having a school of them is best.

Just make sure the dirt you put in your tank contains NO chemicals or fertilizers. It must be free of toxins. I would prefer natural looking gravel. You can buy pea gravel from your local garden center and rinse it thoroughly to remove all the fine dust that comes with it. That's what I had put in my pond, it it works well. The key is to rinse it, so you get only the gravel and not a lot of dust that clouds the water. Even when the fish stir it up, if it has been thoroughly rinsed, your water will stay clear. I like to put my pea gravel in a colandar and spray it with the hose nozzle. I then mix it around with my hand and spray some more. That way, ALL of it gets rinsed. Watch the water the pours out of the colandar's holes. When it starts coming out clear, the gravel is clean.

You might want to look into some of the fancier varieties of goldies. You might find them more appealing than you expect.

Best of success to you ...

mermaidwannabe