PDA

View Full Version : butterfly plec spots,what r they

lisa jenkins
06-01-2010, 02:37 AM
the butterfly plecs r about 1inch in size and have been in the tank a year.over the last few days white raised spots have appeared on them which appear to be quite rough.there is even 1or2 spots on the underside.the plecs seem fairly comfortable and not distressed although have seen slightly less of 1.does anyone know what it is and how i can treat it please.cheers

octoxpuss
06-01-2010, 02:39 AM
could be a lot of things, I am not going to say ich becuase they are raised up but i would maybe go with some type of wart or a parasite. Pics. would help.
Welcome to the forum. BTW

Crispy
06-01-2010, 11:16 AM
one inch is a small pleco.. agree with above, need pics..

lisa jenkins
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks4advice.ill Try Get Some Pics Although Fish Is Hidden At Mo.could It Be Related To Breeding,as Only One Of The Plecs Is Effected And Due To Warm Weather The Tank Temp Has Risen Considerably In The Last Few Weeks.i Know Some Coarse Fish Get Warts During Spawning And Wondered If Plecs Did Too?

lisa jenkins
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
before i could get photos a local aquarium centre informed me that the white spots on my butterfly plec where warts and would clear unassisted,although may take a while.3 days later i found it dead behind the filter.thanks aquarium centre!!!!!!the other remaining plec looks completely fine,by sight and behavior.the dead fish had decayed too much to show pics of it.i have done a tank clean and water change,after removing dead plec.is this all i can do?aswell as keeping an eye on remaining plec although looks perfectly fine at mo.do you think this is the best route to take?or would you treat tank?although not sure what killed it,although i would guess at some sort of fungal infection,as i dont think it was ich as its behavior had not changed(no skin rubbing seen).thank you for previous advice,just a shame could not get pic after first advice.

Crispy
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I think you've done all you could up to this point.. I wouldn't medicate..

Bristley
06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Agreed, you shouldn't medicate unless you know what you're trying to treat as sometimes what you're using to medicate can be stressful for the fish. Plus if you don't know what you're treating you could be treating with something that doesn't even work for the condition/problem that you're fish have.