PDA

View Full Version : Transfering A Filter Advise.

BiGBlak
05-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Im setting up a 20 gallon heres the stocking
1 Honey Gourami
12 Glowlight Tetra
4or5 panda cories
Im Transferring A Hob Filter from my already established mbuna tank(15 Mbuna and a synodontis catfish) thats been running for a month and a half.( Marineland Penguin 350 Bio Wheel)
Since Mbuna have a larger Bio Load than my stock im going to put in the 20 gallon . Would it Be OK if i transfer the filter then add all of my stock in at once ? thnx.

mommy1
05-31-2010, 10:52 AM
you should be ok, since the filter has been on a tank with a bigger bioload than what you are putting into the 20g. i would still test the water everyday as newly set up tanks sometimes have spikes in ammonia and nitrite even with a well seeded filter.

also i would like to suggest that you get everything but the gourami first. wait a few days to a week,(this will also give you time to ensure you wont have a spike), then add the gourami. they can be a little territorial and adding him last may help cut down a little on the aggression.

jaysee
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
If you mean that the mbuna tank has been running for a month and a half, then there is the distinct risk that the bacteria is not established well enough yet in that filter. Ive seen a number of people try seeding new tanks with media from their less new tank, and it didn't work. I'm not saying it won't work for you, but I wouln't completely trust seeded media from a tank that's been cycled for less than 3 months.

If youmean just the FILTER that youwant to transfer has been running for a month and a half, then you're in the clear. I would minimize feedings for the mbuna tank for a few days while the filter catches up.

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Moving filters again? This is the third time in about 2 months. Better keep some Seachem's Stability around your house. :)

BiGBlak
05-31-2010, 05:25 PM
On the Mbuna Tank (55gal) The filters used to Cycle the tank where an Eheim 2217 and a Penguin 350 Bio Wheel finished cycle late april. I was going to discontinue that filter ( penguin 350) for a ac110 but might as well put it to use . The Ac110 had been on the front of my tank for a bout 2 weeks and too the looks of the sponge has caught up a bit. Im moving the Penguin in whole to the 20 gallon would that work? or work w/caution ?

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2010, 05:32 PM
I think it should work just fine.

Dacotah7
06-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Your new stocking plan is a great improvement over your original thoughts. Especially the reduction in gouramis.
1 Honey Gourami
12 Glowlight Tetra
4 or 5 panda cories

Ditto on waiting a couple of weeks before adding the Gourami.

For the most part the cories and the tetras will mostly ignore each other, they don't care about each other. As the Gourami will be the largest community fish, and could be territorial, but may or may not be, adding it last would make that less likely. The gourami will also be the single largest bio-load. Adding it later, will provide more time for the tank to age and the filter to establish itself. If you are lucky all of the species will ignore each other.

This would be a great oppurtunity to give easy to keep or hard to kill, live plants a try. The tetras would feel more secure with something to hide in or under. The gourami also likes floating plants.

BiGBlak
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Your new stocking plan is a great improvement over your original thoughts. Especially the reduction in gouramis.
1 Honey Gourami
12 Glowlight Tetra
4 or 5 panda cories

Ditto on waiting a couple of weeks before adding the Gourami.

For the most part the cories and the tetras will mostly ignore each other, they don't care about each other. As the Gourami will be the largest community fish, and could be territorial, but may or may not be, adding it last would make that less likely. The gourami will also be the single largest bio-load. Adding it later, will provide more time for the tank to age and the filter to establish itself. If you are lucky all of the species will ignore each other.

This would be a great oppurtunity to give easy to keep or hard to kill, live plants a try. The tetras would feel more secure with something to hide in or under. The gourami also likes floating plants.
Yea i was thinking should i or shouldnt i . about the live plants.