PDA

View Full Version : Peppered Cories and Goldfish?

LittlePrince
05-31-2010, 05:18 AM
I have two tanks. My larger tank is set up as a cold water tank for my two goldfish and three gold dojo loaches. My smaller tank is a heated tank with Harlequin Rasboras and different kinds of guppies. I have a few other little things in both tanks but nothing mentionable.

My question is: I just added five peppered cories to my smaller tank but am curious if they would do better in my larger tank? Would cories be okay with goldfish?

My larger tank is generally in the range of 69-73 degrees.

Also, same question for guppies with goldfish. I know it's best to not home anything else with goldfish but is it possible? I always get the response of White Cloud Mountain Minnows as the best bet but I've read that guppies don't mind cooler water and I keep my tanks in pristine conditions so I don't think the goldfish messiness would be an issue.

I won't be moving any fish any time soon but would like to see what my possibilities are.

EmmanuelJB
05-31-2010, 05:21 AM
How big are your tanks? Corrys would not do well with goldfish, as corrys are tropical fish. Also golfish produce alot of waste which would not be good with corrys.

VoidParadigm
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
When goldfish are full grown they can eat smaller fish like guppies and younger or male cories. When cories get swallowed they lock up their fins, which can result in the death of both predator and prey.

Keep them with the loaches, assuming the tank is truly large enough. Everyone'll be happier in the long-run.

LittlePrince
05-31-2010, 08:06 PM
Thank you for your responses! They were as I expected. I got a third tank today and a larger filter for my 20 gallon so all of my fish can have the space they need. Thanks for your input. I'll keep the goldfish and loaches by themselves since they seem to work well together.

jaysee
05-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Some corys can handle the cooler temps quite well, and there is certainly some degree of overlap. I don't think it's one of those "can't" situations.

The concern I woud have with small corys and goldfish is that the GF could accidentally eat the cory while foraging. Not that that's a huge risk, but something to keep in mind depending on the size of the fish.

PizzaGirl
06-01-2010, 05:01 AM
I have a heavily planted 75gal goldfish tank that is also home to white clouds, amano shrimp, a flash pleco and 12 panda cories. The fish all interact well with each other, for now. When the goldfish get bigger I know that I will have to remove some tank mates. So, I say if you are wanting cories in your goldfish tank, try it. But looking at the size the loaches will get, if you added cories I don't know if there would be enough bottom surface for all of them.

If you are looking for something different/more to add to your tank... well I have long fin white clouds and they are really pretty. Praecox rainbows are very shimmery and would be big enough you could keep them with the goldfish for a long time. Barbatus corydoras are coldwater but they can get up to 4inches. Just some suggests that were given to me by my LFS.

Rue
06-01-2010, 05:16 AM
I wouldn't recommend it either...but...:14:

Way back when...I asked a local fish expert the same sort of question...and he recommended I keep corys with goldies...as long as the water temp. is in the range that will suit both species.

And it worked...kept them together for years. Finally I switched the tank, but not for the cories...they were fine...for the goldies...I moved them into the basement where I could keep the water colder for them...

LittlePrince
06-02-2010, 02:44 AM
I went ahead and just got a third tank and found a new home for my rasboras so there will be plenty of room for the cories to stay in their current tank, which is probably best. Thanks so much for the advice!