PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions about bettas.

BiGBlak
05-31-2010, 03:28 AM
I got a Empty ten Gallon and i would like to find out a few things about the betta fish.
-How do you tell a male from a female
-Will Male And female bettas fight with each other?
-Will they mate?
-Can i house them with a freshwater Invert of some sort ? ( cray fish ? or anything thats not really a fish ?)
- Can i do a pair if male and female dont fight
And how can you tell the Healthy Ones from the not so healthy ones since they just lay at the bottom of the containers?
Thanks, this is more down the road and im going to start reading on these fish but i would like to hear from you guys aswell thanks.

EmmanuelJB
05-31-2010, 03:45 AM
1. Males generally will have larger more brightly colored fins.
2. Most likley a male and female would fight.
3. Its possible.
4. Yup they can live with inverts. They will also do good with Most peacefull community fish, that don't look similar to them.
5. Definatly would not do a pair, especially in a 10 gallon.
6. Healthy ones will usually be more brightly colored and have undammaged fins.

korith
05-31-2010, 04:33 AM
The male and female really shouldn't be put together unless you plan to breed them. Even then conditioned to breed, then put them together while they do the deed, then separate them again. Else the male will more or less constantly pick on the female, or vice versa till one or both of them are injured/dead.

You could try to make a sorority tank, basically female bettas living together. This may or may not work, will depend on the temperament of the bettas.

Mating will depend on if they have been conditioned properly.

Inverts may or may not work, really depends on the temperament of your betta. I had one betta with about 20+ ghost shrimp in a 20g tank. Lived peacefully for months, then in a matter of days he wiped them all out for no reason. I have a new betta now who has some ghost shrimp in his tank and he more or less ignores them. otocinclus or cories would work. some tetras possibly. Here is a thread that has some good info on betta tankmates http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=14389

Picking bettas at the store is tough, I asked the same question a lot before I got my first one. I look for the general things, see if it looks in ok health, nice finage, eyes are ok, no odd white spots, infections, etc... You can always ask the shop if they will let you feed the betta. If it grabs the pellet when you drop it, that's a good sign. I've kind of always picked the bettas that really spaz out when you pick up their cups.

wolf_eyes
05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Emmanuel and Korith hit most of these right on the nail.
-How do you tell a male from a female
As said males will usually have bigger, longer fins. Females tend to be much shorter in the fin area and much more robust( fatter body basically). At most stores they will have them labeled as male and female if they are all in cups. If there are a bunch of bettas that are in one tank together, they are females. Males are either kept in cups or kept one in a tank with other fish.
Another way you can tell the difference with bettas is by venting them. This is very important when you are buying fish from wallmart. I have seen many plakat(short finned betta) males labels as females there. This is actually a good way to tell any fish species apart, your eye just has to be trained to it.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Whitemushroom/female-betta.jpg
(In that picture you will see that I circled a small area. This is the vent area. In male bettas you really won't be able to notice it. On a female, however it should be noticible. Since females have to pass eggs through their vent, theirs is normally bigger than males.

-Will Male And female bettas fight with each other?
In most cases, yes. I have a betta tank with six glass dividers with four males and two females. One day my female decided to jump 4 inches so that she could go into one of the male's areas. She tore his fins up pretty badly. It's best to leave bettas separate. There are people who have had it work, but if the bettas decide they've had enough of each other, it can go bad and bad fast.

-Will they mate?
Betta mating is very tricky and usually ends in one or both partners getting hurt. In some cases it can be even worse than that. This is a species that, unless you are ready for a huge undertaking, should not be bred by the average hobbyist.

-Can i house them with a freshwater Invert of some sort ? ( cray fish ? or anything thats not really a fish ?)
I wouldn't do a crayfish personally. They really will eat any fish they can grab and your betta's fins will suffer for it. However, there are a few species of non fish that can work. African dwarf frogs are said to be compatible with bettas as are dull, bigger shrimp. There is also snails if you are interested in them. Of course.... with bettas nothing is ever simple. You can get a killer betta who will not allow anything living in his tank, or a mellow fellow who will accept the company given.
With bettas, always make sure you have a backup plan. If you want to try tankmates, add the betta last. In most cases a betta will be more accepting of tankmates if he is introduced to a tank that they are already in. If you introduce after the betta is there, he will think that they are trying to invade his territory. Females tend to be more accepting of tankmates as well, but like always there are exceptions to that rule
If you want to try shrimp, go with ghost shrimp first since they are cheap. See how he reacts. If he's alright with them, then you can try a more pricey shrimp. I wouldn't personally do cherry shrimp, since I've had a female betta who loved to hunt them down due to their bright colors. With anything other than shrimp, make sure you have another tank or a divider ready so that you can separate the two if it's not working.
Another thing you can do is buy a divider. That way you could have 2 bettas, or a betta on one side and maybe some shrimp or an african dwarf frog on the other. I did this before and it really has a nice effect.

And how can you tell the Healthy Ones from the not so healthy ones since they just lay at the bottom of the containers?
As korith said you really want to check their whole body out. Make sure the fins are long and healthy looking, no chunks missing. Make sure there is no fungus or other diseases on the fish. Another thing is that I always look for is interest in me. If I walk by and they just lay in there, then that's not a good sign. They should perk up when a human comes by because it usually means food. I also agree that if you pick the container they're in up and they freak out, it's a good sign. It means they have good spunk and energy. Look for flaring and interaction with other bettas as this means they're interested in the outside world and will make a better pet.

korith
06-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Another way you can tell the difference with bettas is by venting them. This is very important when you are buying fish from wallmart. I have seen many plakat(short finned betta) males labels as females there. This is actually a good way to tell any fish species apart, your eye just has to be trained to it.

I got my first betta from a store for $3 instead of $7, because the betta was mislabeled. Good idea to try to identify the type of betta yourself, instead of trusting what it says on the cup. Some stores are worse than others with the labeling.

Lindsey
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
You could keep multiple females in a 10 gallon if you still want to keep more than one betta, but I'd avoid keeping a male and a female together.