PDA

View Full Version : fungal growth on my betta?

halla86
05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
i have just noticed a hairy growth on the side of my betta. it looks like a white hairy fungal growth like a sporus mould. he seems pretty active, well as active as he always has been but wondering how to treat it??
he is eating well swimming well and doesnt seem to be showing any obvious signs of discomfort, thats not to say that he isnt.
he is in a large community tank and i am convinced he didnt have it on friday when i last cleaned the tank but im not 100% sure.
he is always the hardest to find to observe as he is always hiding.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc85/halla86/Betta/betta2.jpg

sorry for the poor quality picture it was hard enough to get him into the open water as it is.

octoxpuss
05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Well, the only thing that i am getting on the top of my mind is that he rubbed up along your heater and burned himeslf a little or got a scrape from decorations or the gravel. Basically he has an infection. Treat with really pristine water and melafix or just keep the water really really really clean (good quality)

halla86
05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
i clean my water twice a week (well every 4th day as it ties in well with my early finish at work) so its something new and happened suddenly.
he cant get near the heater as its built into the filration system in the back right hand corner (juwel rio 240 litre tank)
i thought it may have been a nip but i have never seen anyone near him and he does keep out of everyones way.
is it ok to put the melafix into the tank with the rest of the fish?? i dont have a smaller tank to segregate him unfortunately.

octoxpuss
05-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Well Size of tank and number of fish and type of fish really manages how many times you should change some water in order to keep it "pristine." Anyway, it very well could be a nip or bite. One close encounter is really all it take for fish to fight. U dont necessarily need to put melafix in you could simplly just bump up water changes to every other day or every 2 day if you know what i mean. Like i said this is depending on size of tank and type of stock/# of stock what decs do you have in it ver well could be a scrape from the decorations.

halla86
05-31-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks so much for your help Octoxpuss :)
its a 240 litre (63.4 US Gallons / 52.7 UK Gallons) I do a 40% change every four days. sometimes if i get a chance i will do an extra small change early in morning or late at night too.
I just have congo tetras, columbian tetras, neons tetras, two baby angels, one angelicas loach, a gold nugget Pleco and the Betta in there.
I have since found out that Angels and Bettas dont get on but I havent had any issues before now.
I gave him a salt bath earlier when i did a water change again so hopefully he will be ok in the long term. I just kinda panicked when i saw it as id never seen anything like it before and everyone else ion the tank is fine.
Thanks once again for your help

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Just start adding some Melafix to his water. If it's fungus or fungus due to heater burn, it will clear up.

Sarkazmo
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Melafix. I'd do Pimafix as well but you probably won't need it.

Sark