PDA

View Full Version : betta breeding problem

Jaamz
05-30-2010, 06:44 PM
alright it was my 2nd time trying to breed bettas.
I bought a pair from a breeder last week I setup the tank(the tank is a 10 gallon)
the temperature is 82f i put the female in a glass chimney immediatly the male goes crazy when he sees her I put a styro foam cup for the nest (when I got him he use blow half a nest)he floats under the cup for 5 secounds and then swims away to flare at the female.Ive had them in their for 19 hours and nothing has happened
so please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any information will help
(I dont want crazy answers from crazy fish nerds lol=)

Sarkazmo
05-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Lower the water level to like 5-6", no agitation or very little, try either a YELLOW (same colour as leaves on the water in nature) lid from food container like Lays Snax or a leaf shaped bit of small bubble, bubble wrap (the 'bubbles' make him feel like a stud and he'll make the nest bigger.) I'd lower the temp a couple degrees as well. Sometimes using a Tupperware container or some such with a cover so they're not disturbed works. He may just be inexperienced and need time to learn to make a good nest. Acid water helps bubble nests stay togethers so 'Black Water' extract or Indian Almond leaves (some use Oak leaves) can help with this. Also it's best to condition the couple with live foods and high quality dry foods to get them in shape/the mood.

Sark

Jaamz
05-31-2010, 05:52 AM
thanx alot sark but where do I get almond leaves If I live in South Africa
My male betta has still done nothing he just flares at her he doesnt go any where near the cup

Jaamz
05-31-2010, 05:33 PM
hooray bubblenest has been made
I released my female because the nest is finished and she has vertical bars
but when my male chases her she goes pale(she is red and orange)
but when she comes out of her hiding spot she regains color?
any suggestions?

your friendly fishkeeper
jaamz