PDA

View Full Version : Moss ball won't sink !!!

Cliff
05-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I don’t know why, but I really like having moss balls in my tanks. I just lucked out and found two extra large moss balls at one of our LFS. The overall size of both is about half way between a soft ball and a basket ball.

When I saw them at the store they were floating. I assumed there was some trapped air inside. After taking them home, I took a bucket of used tank water to clean them out before putting them in the tank.

I managed to squeeze out the trapped air from one of them so it could sink to the bottom of the tank. Every time I would squeeze the second one with a lot of pressure, it felt like it was falling apart. I’ve never had this happen before were I could not get a moss ball to sink.

If I leave the second floating, will the trapped air work itself out causing it to sink on it’s own or should I try something else

smaug
05-30-2010, 12:49 AM
sounds like you have a floater there!I hate floaters,,,try a plunger.(blush)

seriously,leave it alone for awhile,Im sure it will sink by itself soon.

Cliff
05-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks Smaug

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-30-2010, 12:53 AM
What you have is likely not a true moss ball. It is a big box creation using java moss wrapped around a core. Unlike the true "moss" balls, they no not sink naturally due to the buoyancy of the core.

Cliff
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
What you have is likely not a true moss ball. It is a big box creation using java moss wrapped around a core. Unlike the true "moss" balls, they no not sink naturally due to the buoyancy of the core.

I’ve read about that on a few other plant web sites. I couldn’t find a lot of good information on how to tell the difference other than inconsistency in the density when you squeeze them.

Is there any other way to tell (other than the floating) ?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-30-2010, 01:17 AM
A the fakes will be java moss.

This is a true Marimo Ball (aka Moss Ball)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/v/vspfiles/photos/moss1-2.jpg

Cliff
05-30-2010, 01:20 AM
A the fakes will be java moss.

This is a true Marimo Ball (aka Moss Ball)
http://www.aquariumplants.com/v/vspfiles/photos/moss1-2.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

Looks like I've got all fake ones as mine don't look like that.

I still like the ones I have. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some true moss balls now.

Thanks for the help

smaug
05-30-2010, 01:38 AM
got any pics of the ones you have>They dont normally make them as big as you describe.A tru moss ball has a smooth outside like gbs picture,the fakes are simply java moss wrapped around a floating core such as foam or ping pong balls.

Cliff
05-30-2010, 01:54 AM
got any pics of the ones you have>They dont normally make them as big as you describe.A tru moss ball has a smooth outside like gbs picture,the fakes are simply java moss wrapped around a floating core such as foam or ping pong balls.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/966/thumbs/Moss_balls.jpg (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=18343)

Sorry but the pic isn’t the best quality. Still waiting to get a new camera

The filter in the pic is an Aqua clear 70 that I’m currently getting ready for a new tank. You can get a good idea of the size by comparing the large moss ball to the AC70. The surface of them is somewhat smooth

I bought the small moss balls several months ago and I’m pretty sure they are made-up ones. They don’t have a smooth surface and the moss seams to grow at different rates at different points of the ball.

smaug
05-30-2010, 02:13 AM
They look natural to me.The way to be sure is to open one up.I know that sounds bad but they do regrowIf they are natural they will be somewhat hollow inside.The thing about marimo balls is that they do not always do well and can get quite ragged looking.The best tanks for them are ones with low current and nutrient rich water where they do not get disturbed.seachem excel or any algae killer is a total no no for them as they are algae.My plecs would also beat them up pretty bad.

Cliff
05-30-2010, 02:22 AM
They look natural to me.The way to be sure is to open one up.I know that sounds bad but they do regrowIf they are natural they will be somewhat hollow inside.The thing about marimo balls is that they do not always do well and can get quite ragged looking.The best tanks for them are ones with low current and nutrient rich water where they do not get disturbed.seachem excel or any algae killer is a total no no for them as they are algae.My plecs would also beat them up pretty bad.

Thanks Smaug.

Good thing I don't like adding ferts to my tanks. Our tap water dose have a high mineral content in it which is why I don't use ferts.

I think I'll hold off a while to cut one open. Once they have a chane to get used to their new home I'll take a look.

Thank-you

smaug
05-30-2010, 02:24 AM
ferts are fine.Excel isnt a fert,its a co2 replacement which will break down marimo balls.

FishGirl-Seattle
05-30-2010, 02:36 AM
The Marimo ball should look furry - like when you touch it you expect it would feel like dense fur or velvet. It doesn't actually feel this way - but they look like they do! If yours are java moss they will likely start to send out tendrils and will eventually lose their circular shape. This could actually look pretty cool, a nice change from the traditional aquarium decor!

Cliff
05-30-2010, 04:18 AM
The Marimo ball should look furry - like when you touch it you expect it would feel like dense fur or velvet. It doesn't actually feel this way - but they look like they do! If yours are java moss they will likely start to send out tendrils and will eventually lose their circular shape. This could actually look pretty cool, a nice change from the traditional aquarium decor!

Yup, it doesn’t show in the pic I posted, but one of my smaller moss balls are doing just that. Doesn’t matter too much to me because I still like the look of those moss balls. I think I will try to find more real ones just to understand the differences better and see what I like more.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Petsmart has started carrying the real ones in my area.

HeatherH
05-30-2010, 07:23 PM
My lfs finally got some and I bought one,they warned me it might float when I got it home into my tank and it did...it didn't work to squeeze the whole thing I did have to take my thumb and forefinger and kind of pinch it in the middle (gently!),did that twice and it sunk straight down.

When I squeezed the whole thing it just floated more. Mine is a real one,tho. Wish I bought a few more,they're pretty cool.

Cliff
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
When I checked the tank this morning, the second sank to the bottom.

I really don't know wh I like these moss ball so much. Likely because there so different from typical plants.

SpyderSpy6
07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Moss balls are awesome!!

Just a thought I had reading through this... you could always try putting a rock in it or a fishing weight to get it to drop and then just pull it out after some time.

Not sure if that's the best suggestion, and it also seems like everyone is able to get them to sink eventually.

Also, flourish excel has a pesticide agent that breaks down the cell structure of algae. That's why it is great for planted tanks not only as a CO2 alternative but also helps combat algae. Good luck with the moss balls!

Cliff
07-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks

It took about 24 hours but they all sank.

One of them still has a little air in it making it lighter as it sits in the tank. At least light enough for one of my fire mouths to move it around the tank looking for food.

Sarkazmo
07-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Marimo "Moss" Balls aren't actually a moss, they're an algae. As Smaug said above, algaecides and Excel are deadly to these things. In the lakes these come from they're gently rolled by the waves so they end up as balls. This is why you need to turn them every few days. They were thought to only come from Marimo lake in Japan but have been found in European lakes as well. Some view the gift of a Marimo ball as something you'd only give to a good friend or loved one. Tiny balls are sometimes worn in a vial filled with water as a necklace pendant. Some just keep them in a glass of water in a lit room.

Sark