PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bettas

1smallgoldfish
05-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Hello,
What is the life expectancy for a betta? Can it be kept in a gallon bowl or is that cruel? I have heard that it can be kept in a bowl and then not to.....but to keep in a small aquarium with filter, etc. Why are they in such small containers at the stores then?:shrug:

Irish2539
05-29-2010, 12:56 AM
I think betta's can live 3-5 years.. A betta will not live very long in a bowl... they would prefer a heated tank. Iv never personally seen Betta's in cups... We dont have the whole betta cup thing in Ireland. Its just plain cruel and it leads people to believe betta can be kept that way...

I think 5gal would be minimum for betta.. personally i think min 10gal.

I mean u can keep it in a bowl if you do constant water changes, other wise the water will become toxic very quickly... Their just the same as any other fish.. The fact that they can live in small tanks doesnt mean they don't need filtration and heater.. Even a simple sponge filter would do... Sadly lots of fish shops promote the small tanks and bowls and say you dont need filter or heater..

Katarine
05-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Yea I dont know why they're kept in cups. It just seems so cruel! :( I've never had luck with bettas, So i think its safe to assume if kept right, they'll live a long long time :)

korith
05-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Yea I dont know why they're kept in cups. It just seems so cruel! :( I've never had luck with bettas, So i think its safe to assume if kept right, they'll live a long long time :)

For stores I think it's mostly a space issue. Since they really can't be kept with each other in a tank like many other fish at a lfs. Not really sure where the idea of a small container like that being a permanent home for bettas came about. It's kind of messed up if you think about it. Have heard of them living more than 5 years, really depends on how well they get cared for.

FishGirl-Seattle
05-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Stores keep male bettas in small cups because they don't have the ability or inclination to house them in bigger tanks - you can't put them together like you can most other fish, and 20 cups is a lot less space and money than 20 five gallon tanks! Bettas are fairly slow fish and can breath air and while they won't thrive at room temp they will survive long enough to get sold so the store can house them way for a time whereas they couldn't keep other fish alive very long doing it like this. If they could they would!

Sarkazmo
05-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Three years is avg. with, as stated above, exceptions that make five or more years. This is a rarity though, unfortunately.

I have 15 Betta right now, only one of which is female. Several are in temporary housing which ranges from about 1/3G up to 1G in size. These are unfiltered, unheated 'tanks' but each has some Java Moss and the water is changed every two days. The other Betta are in their permanent homes which range from 1/2G (for a special needs Betta) to 10G. All of the perm. homes are filtered, heated, and planted. I don't recommend anything smaller than 1 gallon for a permanent home. A Betta tank should be as large as possible as well as heated and filtered

I recommend these products for small Betta tanks:
Azoo Palm Filter (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+9821&pcatid=9821)

This Tetra Submersible Heater (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+16756&pcatid=16756)

Go to my YouTube page (the link in my sig below) to get a look at what you can do with small Betta tanks.

Sark

Sasquatch
05-29-2010, 11:41 PM
As a guy who works in a fish store ... yeah it's a space issue. After a big shipment we can have as many as 500-600 bettas in our store and that'll last us about a month and a half. Even in 1g tanks it's unthinkable.

That said, I always recommend that bettas be kept in heated aquariums. If planted, I don't think that filtration is required, though regular water changes are a must.

Lab_Rat
05-30-2010, 01:50 AM
My last betta was almost 5 years old when he died. He even made the move from ATL to San Antonio with me.