PDA

View Full Version : Help With Plecos Please

1smallgoldfish
05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi,
I have trouble keeping a pleco alive for very long in my tank.
They only seem to live a few months and then they die.
They are very small, maybe no more than 2 inches when I purchase them.
I feed them 1 bottom feeder tablet every other day. I read where they like driftwood so I have that in the tank along with real plants and a couple of fake...that is all, besides a few zebra danios and 1 gorami. The tank is heated to around 76 degrees and the water conditions are perfect. I don't get it! What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating!!

octoxpuss
05-28-2010, 08:33 PM
By perfect what do you mean. When little like that they are still a bit sensitive but when they mature they become a very hardy fish so depending on size of tank the bioload could be hurting them. If they driftwood is softwood it might be decaying and causing an ammonia spike. If they live for a while you either keep buying bad batches of fish or your tank parameters are off to house a pleco. Also, could you specify what type of pleco and tank size.

EmmanuelJB
05-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi,
I have trouble keeping a pleco alive for very long in my tank.
They only seem to live a few months and then they die.
They are very small, maybe no more than 2 inches when I purchase them.
I feed them 1 bottom feeder tablet every other day. I read where they like driftwood so I have that in the tank along with real plants and a couple of fake...that is all, besides a few zebra danios and 1 gorami. The tank is heated to around 76 degrees and the water conditions are perfect. I don't get it! What am I doing wrong? Very frustrating!!
Seems verry odd... How big is your tank? How often do you do water changes? How much do you take out when you do water changes?

Maybe its the place your getting them from, they could just have bad/sick fish...

1smallgoldfish
05-28-2010, 11:09 PM
My tank size is 14 us gallons. I test the water weekly for ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite levels are zero. The ph is within normal range and so is the nitrates. I have a filter system running for a 30 gallon tank but it circulates water at 200 gph. I also have an airstone connected to a small air pump. Am I feeding too little or too much? I read where plecos can starve very easily. My regular fish get fed twice a day but I skip the second feeding when I drop the bottom feeder tablet in.
Thanx for your help and responses.:1luvu:
(O0ps forgot to say that I do water changes weekly, 10-20%, depending on the nitrate level but it's been fine)

EmmanuelJB
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
My tank size is 14 us gallons. I test the water weekly for ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia and nitrite levels are zero. The ph is within normal range and so is the nitrates. I have a filter system running for a 30 gallon tank but it circulates water at 200 gph. I also have an airstone connected to a small air pump. Am I feeding too little or too much? I read where plecos can starve very easily. My regular fish get fed twice a day but I skip the second feeding when I drop the bottom feeder tablet in.
Thanx for your help and responses.:1luvu:
(O0ps forgot to say that I do water changes weekly, 10-20%, depending on the nitrate level but it's been fine)
What type of pleco do you have? Alot are too small for 14 gallons...

1smallgoldfish
05-28-2010, 11:24 PM
The pleco is just the plain brown type. Plecosomus? I don't know that much about them. I thought they were a hardy species and I thought they ate algae but I now know they eat more than just algae. The driftwood is the kind you buy at a pet store that is safe for aquarium use? I think it is hard wood of some sort. I bought it from a tank. It has a real plant growing on it.
I think a sagitarian plant of some sort?
Anyway, the book I have says that plecos need to gnaw on driftwood as it aids in their digestion, I thought maybe that was the problem, hence buying the driftwood. I have a new pleco. He isn't very active. He seems to just sit on the driftwood. Are they very active? Or only after lights out?

EmmanuelJB
05-28-2010, 11:26 PM
The pleco is just the plain brown type. Plecosomus? I don't know that much about them. I thought they were a hardy species and I thought they ate algae but I now know they eat more than just algae. The driftwood is the kind you buy at a pet store that is safe for aquarium use? I think it is hard wood of some sort. I bought it from a tank. It has a real plant growing on it.
I think a sagitarian plant of some sort?
Anyway, the book I have says that plecos need to gnaw on driftwood as it aids in their digestion, I thought maybe that was the problem, hence buying the driftwood. I have a new pleco. He isn't very active. He seems to just sit on the driftwood. Are they very active? Or only after lights out?
You probably have had common plecos, which get way to big for a 14 gallon. Commons get over 2 feet, and require very large tanks. For a 14 gallon, rubber plecos, clown plecos and bristle nose plecos will do ok.

Bristley
05-28-2010, 11:52 PM
+1 on what EJB said. If what you bought is a common pleco, which it probably is I recommend that you return it to the LFS you bought it at and instead get a rubberlip, bristlenose or clown pleco. All 3 of those types stay small usually no more than 5" when full grown. A common on the other hand will outgrow your tank very quickly. If you attempt to keep it in too small a tank it will have a very short life.

1smallgoldfish
05-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Yikes! Well I have other tanks. Right now it is 2 inches at most.
I do have a 55 gallon and a 30 gallon also. Can my pleco live with goldfish if it gets too big and outgrows the 14 gallon?

Bristley
05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
One problem with that is that goldfish are a cold water fish and plecos are tropical. I would have to check on what the recommended temps for each are, there may be some overlap but I am not sure off the top of my head. Also a common pleco will eventually need at least a 75gal probably more as it approaches its full growth.