PDA

View Full Version : does my pleco look healthy?

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I bought him about 5 days ago and His skin looks weird, like hes decaying. But hes strong and healthy.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2220/plecosb3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

also, heres a picture of my 40tall, any suggestions are welcome, it was before my water change, i was soaking my new airstone thing
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6788/fioshtankyz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

sergo
05-28-2007, 01:35 PM
dude! i like the background. that's the first time i've seen something like that. is that a bristle nose pleco? he looks ok to me.

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 02:13 PM
dude! i like the background. that's the first time i've seen something like that. is that a bristle nose pleco? he looks ok to me.

thanks, the background loooks really good in the picture, i don't know why. Yea its a bristlenose.

Lady Hobbs
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Your cat looks fine to me too but will look even better now that he has a home. I doubt in the stores they much bother to give them veggies and pellets and some of the other goodies they like so much.

Your background is awesome. I've never seen one like it or even near to anything like that.

They need to come out with more self-sticking backgrounds. They're hard to find but do look much better than having the air trapped behind them. Clearer.

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Your cat looks fine to me too but will look even better now that he has a home. I doubt in the stores they much bother to give them veggies and pellets and some of the other goodies they like so much.

Your background is awesome. I've never seen one like it or even near to anything like that.

They need to come out with more self-sticking backgrounds. They're hard to find but do look much better than having the air trapped behind them. Clearer.

He or she is a pretty big fish though. I saw the guy actually chopping up carrots and cucumbers and stuff for the fish so maybe they are feed okay. My pleco doesn't eat any of the vegetables or algae wafers I put in there though!

hungryhound
05-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not super familiar with bristlenoses, but I know most plecos don't come out to eat until the tank is dark and it's owners are a sleep. We have a juvie Leopard cactus pleco (L114) and we hardly see him, but do drop either wafers or veggies in at night before heading to bed. One last thing, some plecos also need wood to chew on as well as the occasional meat based diet (we have both veggie and meat based wafers that we alternate).

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm not super familiar with bristlenoses, but I know most plecos don't come out to eat until the tank is dark and it's owners are a sleep. We have a juvie Leopard cactus pleco (L114) and we hardly see him, but do drop either wafers or veggies in at night before heading to bed. One last thing, some plecos also need wood to chew on as well as the occasional meat based diet (we have both veggie and meat based wafers that we alternate).

thanks for the advice everyone. I have 3 pieces of aquatic wood in there and i always see the pleco sucking on it. I haven't put any meat based wafers in there for him to try except i put a frozen food block food in there for the other fish occasionally. Im sure it has some meat in it. But i've tried to put zuchinni and algae wafers in for him and turned all the lights off and went upstairs and he still didn't eat them, except he sucked a little of the sides of the zuchinni once. But, he doesn't go "crazy" for the zuchinni or algae wafers as others claim. I'm sure hes eating something though cuz hes big. but he's only been in there a couple of days, hopefully he'll come around. He sure produces a lot of waste though! :1:

hungryhound
05-28-2007, 04:37 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. I have 3 pieces of aquatic wood in there and i always see the pleco sucking on it. I haven't put any meat based wafers in there for him to try except i put a frozen food block food in there for the other fish occasionally. Im sure it has some meat in it. But i've tried to put zuchinni and algae wafers in for him and turned all the lights off and went upstairs and he still didn't eat them, except he sucked a little of the sides of the zuchinni once. But, he doesn't go "crazy" for the zuchinni or algae wafers as others claim. I'm sure hes eating something though cuz hes big. but he's only been in there a couple of days, hopefully he'll come around. He sure produces a lot of waste though! :1:

Yea, we loving refer to out little L114 (he's probably only 1.5in) as a poo machine, but wouldn't trade him for the world!

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Yea, we loving refer to out little L!!$ (he's probably only 1.5in) as a poo machine, but wouldn't trade him for the world!

How old do you think mine is? He's around 4.5 inches I would expect. Maybe even 5. I wuold have gotten a baby one, but it's the only one they had in the store. He bullied the little syno cats out of their castle. He's a monster.

hungryhound
05-28-2007, 04:57 PM
How old do you think mine is? He's around 4.5 inches I would expect. Maybe even 5. I wuold have gotten a baby one, but it's the only one they had in the store. He bullied the little syno cats out of their castle. He's a monster.

I'm not sure how old your BN is...but I would guess that he is in the adolescence stage (at least size wise) as these guys can get to between 5-8 inches depending on the species. I was also reading that the bristles of the BN grow with the fish, but again, I have no idea how fast these guys grow....sorry.

WOGGIES
05-28-2007, 05:00 PM
anyway to tell if its a girl or a boy? The boy ones have large bristles right?

salman
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
omg.. LOVE THE BACKGROUND! Very creative. :malelovies:

RobbieG
07-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Excellent background - where'd you get it

The boys grow a line of bristles between their eyes

Mdsuave13
07-09-2007, 11:40 PM
HAHA my plec@'s are also poop machines and very territorial about their food. They will bully any other fish if they get near the plec@'s food....