PDA

View Full Version : What floating plant will grow over the edge of the tank?

fish2010
05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Anyone know of a freshwater floating plant that would grow over the edge of an aquarium?

Thanks

Lady Hobbs
05-27-2010, 08:31 PM
None that I know of. Floating plants need to be in the water and I know of none that are emersible.

aquariums+me=happy
05-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Shouldn't happpen, if it does just throw 'em right back in.

Wild Turkey
05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Not sure about floaters, but in general; Bamboo might be possible. If you move the overhead light around it will probably try to reach for it like any other plant. One of my lfs has a bunch with full loops and hard turns in the stems from being moved around.

Other than bamboo, anubias and a few others im not real familiar with the semi-submersible plants, but some people sure are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGleTattRo

gm72
05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
You could easily make Pothos into such a plant. You would plant it in a planter that could float on the water and it would do quite well like that.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
05-28-2010, 01:36 AM
No floaters that I know of, but Baccopa makes a great emergent growth plant. It becomes great at using nitrogenous waste as it will draw it's CO2 directly from the atmosphere once it has achieved emergent growth.

tanks4thememories
05-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Not sure about floaters, but in general; Bamboo might be possible. If you move the overhead light around it will probably try to reach for it like any other plant. One of my lfs has a bunch with full loops and hard turns in the stems from being moved around.

Other than bamboo, anubias and a few others im not real familiar with the semi-submersible plants, but some people sure are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZGleTattRo

Wow, I want that tank...lol

Northernguy
05-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Mr.Amano knows how to do it right!lolthumbs2:
What incredible tanks.

Lady Hobbs
05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe Aeonflame will see that tank and get his directions from that one! Man, there is no one like Amano!!

promise
06-11-2010, 03:51 AM
you could try a plant called Aponogeton Natans, it has little shoots that grow up out of the tank and flower with beautiful white ends. apaart from that im not sure of anything else that would do it maybe a variety of the anubius i guess.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Actually promise, those little flowers are not desirable in an aquarium setting. Apons that are allowed to continually flower will not grow much. They will put all their energy into growing those flowers and the main plant will suffer. It is actually a good idea to snip them as soon as you see them.

dredd23
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
mosss can grow on the water then above water and over the side :D

teddscau
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Java moss sometimes climbs up the filter. As long as some water trickles on it it will be fine. Some people put it on the side of non-aquatic tanks and let water trickle down it like a waterfall.