PDA

View Full Version : Breeding goldfish

NanoTankGuy
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Anyone successfully bred goldfish? If yes, any advice will do. I've got yarn "plants" hanging for the eggs to be attached to, switched the light period to 14L:10D. Does anybody know if installing a lunar light may help?

Thanks.

Scrup
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Mine bred all by themselves. They do it more in the spring if I remember right, so if they are inside, give them a few months of chilly water, then bring the temps up to sub-tropical. That would be my advise, but I do my best to not get more goldies if I can help it. Took them about a year to be mature enough to even try.

How old are they and what size tank are they in?

NanoTankGuy
05-27-2010, 08:46 PM
They are in a flow-through tank ~15G at 4 fish per tank (we have access to non-stop dechlorinated water supply).

I brought up the temp, changed the light period, even hung some of the 'yarn' plants suggested in literature, yet... no success. Somebody also suggested giving them more privacy by hanging a curtain around teh tank, which I did too :( nothing works.

Scrup
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Somebody also suggested giving them more privacy by hanging a curtain around teh tank

did you try putting on some smooth jazz and dimming the lights?
:hmm3grin2orange:

They are in 15 gallon tanks? What kind of goldfish are we talking about and how old are they?

NanoTankGuy
05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
3-4 inchers. dimmed the lights. They even got the little "nipple-looking" things all over their faces (forget what they're called) which happens when they're breeding.
So...

Scrup
05-27-2010, 10:15 PM
They are probably not old enough for viable offspring. Like I said mine were a little over a year before they bred, close to 8 inches. Who knows. Whats the temp of the water?

VoidParadigm
05-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Three years is the minimum age I'd recommend to condition them for breeding.

Any sooner, and there are risks that the female will become egg-bound - and basically be useless for breeding.

Males can breed sooner, but it's recommended to wait for them too, since then you'll only need one male's worth of "love-juice" instead of two or three.

The white tubercles aren't nessicarily a sign that they're in the breeding mood. It just means that you have MALES who are sexually mature. 75% of my males CONSTANTLY have their "breeding stars."

Where exactly do you plan on putting the 50-1000( x however many females you're going to breed) eggs/fry anyways?

Unless you've got a small variety of fancy don't breed those goldfish yet. At their size you'll wind up with carppy (no pun intended) fry.

If you're going to breed, and you want to breed properly with the best results, you should be planning a full year in advance.

You've got to:
-Find the best females, with the softest rears.
-Find the best chasing male, a fish who actually WANTS to breed. (He'll be seeming like he's gay, as he'll be practicing chasing/bumping on other males in his tank.)
-Out of those chasers, find one with the best breeding stars.
-Feed them supreme diets, over years and years to prepare the best body masses and health and shape.
-Figure out whether you're going to hand-spawn or naturally spawn.
-Completely seperate all females from all males prior to spawning, regardless of which method you choose. They need to be seperated as soon as you can sex them. This goes for the fry, too.
-Clean the fish in proper solutions of water/chemicals to make sure they don't infect the EMPTY spawning tank.
-For at least a month beforehand only feed live, high protein food and roughage.
-Pick an ideal time of year to actually do the spawning. It doesn't nessicarily have to be spring, it can be any time of the year the weather changes drastically. (One of my girls only spawns in September, for example.)
-Make sure you have enough room for all the fry.
-Do not add either male or females to the spawning tank until the day you are prepared for them to breed. Early morning is best, and remove them ASAP when they're done.

Then of course you've got all your fry issues to deal with:
-Culling (sell or kill) fry with deformities, weaker fry, smaller fry, ugly fry, strangely shaped fins, etc.
-Getting food for the tiny fry. Brine shrimp, bloodworms, crushed high-quality pellets, etc.
-Keeping up with said feedings. At least three times a time. No exceptions. But never feed in the first day and a half of life.
-Always, always, ALWAYS overcompensate tank size for the size of the fry.
-Goldfish fry develop very slowly - due to their end size and longer than normal for a hobby fish life. It could take up to a year for them to be big enough to be sold or put with other fish.
-Never sell or move a goldfish in with older fish until it starts developing mature colorations. The grey/brown/blacks in the beginning are specifically showing you that those fish are not prepared to deal with other fish yet. It is a camoflauge. And no, I don't know how to spell camoflauge. =P

The above two lists are not in order of importance or timeline. It's merely a chaos idea of what needs to be done.

Good luck, in any case.

NanoTankGuy
05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Good stuff, guys!
Thanks, VoidParadigm! Priceless info.
You lucky to have a girl that breeds "not in spring". We for once never got them to want to breed unless the light period is changed and it's spring.

I'll be on the lookout for "gay" males then :)

Thanks a lot.

P.S. Btw, we have access to a 250G growout flow-through tank. Luckily, dechlorinated water and tanks here are not in deficit.

VoidParadigm
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
250Gs sounds good, so long as the flow rate isn't too strong for the fry.

Good luck!

Red
05-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I would breed them in small ponds or a larger pond, they will breed by themselves and much easier!

NanoTankGuy
05-28-2010, 02:42 PM
250Gs sounds good, so long as the flow rate isn't too strong for the fry.

Good luck!
Thanks. I think it's something like ~100% w/c a day.

Jimm
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
did you try putting on some smooth jazz and dimming the lights?
:hmm3grin2orange:

We used to joke that you had to find out if it should be Led Zeppelin IV or Barry White.

NanoTankGuy
05-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I would breed them in small ponds or a larger pond, they will breed by themselves and much easier!
Lol - would you trade a 250G flow-through tank for a pond? :)
I wouldn't :) :hmm3grin2orange:

NanoTankGuy
05-28-2010, 08:16 PM
We used to joke that you had to find out if it should be Led Zeppelin IV or Barry White.
Definitely LZ IV :)