PDA

View Full Version : decreasing skittishness?

hockeyhead019
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
hey everybody,

idk about you guys but my fish seem pretty skittish, i figured they would have calmed down by now but they take off every time i come near the tank or walk into my room (thats where the tank is lol) is there anything i can do to make them more comfortable? the tank is pretty has tons of plants and caves problem is they ALWAYS hide when i'm around lol is that just how my type of fish are (see my sig for the fish) or is there something i can do?

thanks

Brhino
05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
which fish are particularly skittish? There's a concept called "dither fish". A dither fish, usually in a school, is an active fish that's frequently out and about. The more shy fish see those fish out and unafraid, and it puts them more at ease. If you've got room in your tank it's something you could consider.

Lady Hobbs
05-27-2010, 04:16 PM
If you are referring to your Silver Dollars, they are typically skittish and like several of their friends with them. They may panic when they see you sending the entire tank to panic. They also qet quite large, you know, and really not suitable for a 20 gallon.

You may have to put more hiding places in the tank.

Here are the ones I had. I had 9. Not small by any means.

Scrup
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Hiding places and having larger schools are the best two things to help with skittishness. With some fish the more things they have to hide in or behind, the more they are out. Bizzare, but its true.

Kazenouta
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Time spent around the tank may also help the fish become more comfortable with you around the tank. If you're around them observing the tank often then they'll consider you as almost common place. This helped when I was keeping Neon tetras.

tanks4thememories
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Time spent around the tank may also help the fish become more comfortable with you around the tank. If you're around them observing the tank often then they'll consider you as almost common place. This helped when I was keeping Neon tetras.

Agreed. If you have already done the great suggestions (providing the ideal comfort zone for your fish) listed above Kazenouta then the last thing to do is to spend some scheduled quality time with your fish...lol The best time is just before feedings. And I recommend scheduled cause it eventually becomes less of a surprise (Oh boy, its that guy that feeds us again, we better be nice to him..lol) if they expect your visit. You might at first try to find a distance at which you can observe them and they do not run for cover. Then after observing them feed them. Do that for a few days then try to get closer. then repeat...etc A lot of fish are also spooked by fast movements and shadows so try to sit and approach them in a way that you avoid those stimuli. We often forget fish are animals too...lol Fish are just like dogs or cats but they are in water. However many of the same conditioning techniques apply...lol

*Note* Be patient - Shoaling fish are often a little more difficult to condition to your presence because they cue off of each other. Its kind of like the "stampede effect". If one runs the others don't ask why is he running they just run as well..lol So with Shoaling fish you have to win them over as a group which often takes longer..lol

Good Luck!!

Renski
05-27-2010, 07:07 PM

I'm certain my fish don't see me as common place, they see me as food. First off the Danios think my hand is food, i.e. they like to nibble me, especially when just my finger tips are just touching the surface. Secondly they start gathering around the front and top of the tank if I spend more than a minute or two near the tank, which is where the food is normally dropped.

Too smart these fish. :fish:

hockeyhead019
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
thanks for all the replies! i think you hit it on the head hobbs because my serpae never seem to care and my gold is skittish all the time lol but the silver dollars just freak everythin in the tank out when i come near and the head for the hills

and yea i know my 20 gallon is too small for the SD's :( they're in the process of being re-homed after my ich is cured

so i guess my question would be what is a very friendly type of fish suitable for a 20 gallon planted tank? something with a little personality that i can keep other kinds of fish with (yea i know it's a vague open ended question but i'm up for suggestions lol)