PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of shrimp?

megastealer
05-27-2010, 05:16 AM
So I see a lot of people keeping shrimp in their tanks.

What is the main reason you keep shrimp?

Do they reproduce fast enough to be used as a treat for other fish once in a while? and maybe if they can hide in the tank well, possibly live in the same tank as your fish?

Are they mainly tank cleaners?

Do you just like the way they look?

Or if you have some other reason I'd be interested to hear that as well! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm just curious and I don't see anything on it so I thought I'd ask lol. :22:

korith
05-27-2010, 06:48 AM
So I see a lot of people keeping shrimp in their tanks.

What is the main reason you keep shrimp?
The same reason I keep fish, they interest me.
Do they reproduce fast enough to be used as a treat for other fish once in a while? and maybe if they can hide in the tank well, possibly live in the same tank as your fish?
depends on the type of shrimp. Once you have a thriving colony of them you can feed to fish. Though probably not a good idea to keep the shrimp colony with the fish you intend to feed them to.
Are they mainly tank cleaners?
They make for great scavengers and do clean up the tank a bit. Though depending on them just for tank cleaning isn't really a real option, they don't eat that much.
Do you just like the way they look?
yes, many different types of shrimp.
Or if you have some other reason I'd be interested to hear that as well! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm just curious and I don't see anything on it so I thought I'd ask lol. :22:

I went from getting red cherry shrimp at a fish auction. The interest grew in shrimp and somehow now I've got 6 different types of shrimp in different tanks.

SunSchein89
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
They're definitely fun to watch, just like any other tank inhabitant. If you have enough, they can clean up a bit too or just be snacks for your fish. It all depends on what you want to use them for. I know with SW tanks, some shrimp will help clean the fish themselves too.

Sursion
05-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Shrimp clean up stuff. I use them mainly for cleaning up left over food that falls to the bottom.

And also, shrimp are hilarious. I love watching them pitter patter around the tank. So cute ^_^

Lady Hobbs
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I hate anything that remotely resembles a bug but I LOVE shrimp. They will get eaten in many tanks but if kept with small fish they should be fine or a tank just for them.

Sasquatch
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
All of the above?

There are plenty of reasons to keep shrimp. They add caracter, variety and in many cases color to the aquarium and they are quite fun to watch.

In smaller tanks (< 25g) they make an ideal cleanup crew. Instead of trying to shoehorn a school of cories or squeezing in a pleco, adding shrimp will take care of some algae and clean up any debris on the gravel. Also, since their bioload is so small, they won't reduce the amount of other fish in the tank as much.

Sarkazmo
05-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Shrimp are great! They're fascinating creatures. Always active and doing something. They make great cleanup crews as long as you don't over feed or you can keep them in a tank of their own. You can easily keep 100+ Red Cherry Shrimp in a 10G. Their bioload is VERY low. If kept alone you need only feed them very sparingly.

Sark

Wild Turkey
05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Pretty much the same reason(s) we keep fish.

Im also a big fw invertebrate fan.

Ashley
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I have rock shrimp and they are really fun to watch eat. They have fan like "hands" and they catch debris and then bring it to their mouths. One of mine loves to hang out on the filter intake and catch things as they flow near by.

promise
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
i keep them because they fascinate my niece and nephews more than the fish do. and because they add some more character to the tnk, i have 3 wood shrimp ranging from 2-4 inches and they are fascinating to watch fan food from the water. the cleaning up part not so much they really are not that efficient.

Pleco380
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I got my zebra shrimp because I think he looks cool. lol.

jclee
07-31-2010, 03:04 PM
They really are so easy to breed that I will admit I got my breeder colony to breed feeders for my salamanders (who, it turns out, are usually more interested in their axolotl pellets). They are so pretty, though, that I do wind up putting some of the adults into other tanks for aesthetic and/or algae/debris eating purposes.