PDA

View Full Version : S. American Leaf Fish tank mate suggestions?

fish2010
05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I wanted to see if I could get some advice from some experts. I'm in the process of setting up a S. American Leaf Fish (Monocirrhus mimophyllus) tank. The tank is 48L x 18D x 16T (65g). I will probably have 4-6 Leaf Fish. The tank will mostly be dead leaves on branches and driftwood and rocks, with some kind of floating vetegation shading most of the surface. Also, 25% of the tank will have dense vegetation. That means about 50% the substrate, which is very dark in color, will be visible. Just trying to give you an idea of what the habitat looks like.

Anyway, I've considered different fish and invertebrates but none of them feel like a good match. So here are my questions:

1. What should I add to the tank? I'd love to add an interesting or active invertebrate.

2. What is some good vegetation to use?

Thanks Again!

MCHRKiller
05-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Sounds like a nice setup, btw. I would keep the stocking simple really and add only some larger bodied tetras...Columbians or Bueneos Aires are excellent options as they will grow far to large for the leaf fish to eat. I would do a shoal of around 12 of them. A pair of bristlenose plecos and perhaps some Brochis catfish would also be great...be sort of an entire SA themed tank.

Plants I would also keep it south American; Vals Cabomba, Swords, and Sag. Also Red Root floater is probably one of the best floating plants it has very attractive red roots that extend into the water :22:

fish2010
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of keeping the tank South American and am now focused on that.