PDA

View Full Version : Betta on bottom of tank breathing heavily, help!

rothenb1
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I just got back from a week's vacation. My friend took great care of the fish, cats, and gerbils while we were away. However, on Tuesday (we arrived home at 8pm) it reached 92 degrees F outside and only the windows were open. I'm assuming my friend came in the early morning and it was still cool outside so she didn't turn the AC on. By the time we returned every tank was over 80 degrees. We poured some cold (declorinated) water into the tanks and turned the heat down. Temps are now below 78 degrees F.

The SA cichlids/RTS in the 90, the African cichlids/blue botia in the 55 and the tetras/border loaches/cory cats in the 30 are all fine. My betta is not faring so well.

He's been lying at the bottom of the tank on his side since we got home breathing VERY heavily. His little fighting flap things are coming out when he breathes and it looks like his gills are red on the inside. He has no visible fungus and otherwise was healthy when I left.

I put another air stone in there to get some more O2 flowing. He's in a Marineland 5 gal hex which has a built in filter. Temp is at 77 degrees F now and water quality is fine. I'm afraid to stress him out with a water change though.

Will he be OK? Is there anything I can do? I haven't tried feeding him because I don't think he'll eat.

Oh, last night at around 4am I went to check on him and he was upright and not breathing so heavily-- still on the bottom, but not on his side. I thought he'd make it. When I woke up at 9am and looked he was back on his side again.

I looked up a few things online but it wasn't helpful-- all I found was people telling others with similar problems to cycle the tank and put a heater in, which isn't a problem with my betta. He's been in there for 3 months and the temp is stable now.

:help: :help:

Northernguy
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Do a water change.Red gills is usually a sign of ammonia poisoning.
Have you tested the water?

rothenb1
05-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Do a water change.Red gills is usually a sign of ammonia poisoning.
Have you tested the water?

LOL well I just said to my boyfriend that I was going to go ahead and do the water change, and apparently he did a 50% water change last night and I somehow just didn't notice (I guess I was busy unpacking and such). He added prime. I'll go test the water right now and let you know the parameters.

rothenb1
05-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Ok well water quality in there sucks. I should have tested the water before I freaked out. I tested before I left last Tuesday and parameters were fine, also did a 50% water change. I don't know what could have happened. I'm in the middle of an 80% water change. Will add Prime. Anything else I can do?

tanks4thememories
05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Ok well water quality in there sucks. I should have tested the water before I freaked out. I tested before I left last Tuesday and parameters were fine, also did a 50% water change. I don't know what could have happened. I'm in the middle of an 80% water change. Will add Prime. Anything else I can do?

How is the fish behaving now?

tori.lock
05-27-2010, 01:30 AM
You might try to put him in the 30 with the loaches, tetras and cories while you get the parameters on his tank back to normal. Do daily water changes until they are back to what they should be.

rothenb1
05-27-2010, 04:21 AM
How is the fish behaving now?

I had to go to work for 8 hours. He seemed to spruce up right away after the water change, he was swimming around when I left. Now he is behaving... dead. :scry: :scry: :scry:

It's such a shame. I was thinking about it; my friend probably overfed him, and the uneaten food sitting in the tank may have spiked the ammonia. He was such a beautiful fish. I never took any decent pictures of him. I have a few taken with a small point and shoot, but alas. I'm a bad fish parent :(

tanks4thememories
05-27-2010, 05:47 AM
I had to go to work for 8 hours. He seemed to spruce up right away after the water change, he was swimming around when I left. Now he is behaving... dead. :scry: :scry: :scry:

It's such a shame. I was thinking about it; my friend probably overfed him, and the uneaten food sitting in the tank may have spiked the ammonia. He was such a beautiful fish. I never took any decent pictures of him. I have a few taken with a small point and shoot, but alas. I'm a bad fish parent :(

Wow, I'm very sorry for your loss:scry:

A good thing to have in your fishy first aide kit is METHYLENE BLUE.
One of its benefits is it is awesome at relieving damages done from ammonia poisoning. If you catch the fish fast enough it can make a major difference. Here is some more information on it and the proper usage.

METHYLENE BLUE
Dosage: (As water treatment for fish) 2.5 ml of a 2.303% solution per 5 gallons of water.
Duration: Every other day.
Procedure: Complete water changes before each treatment..
Recommended treatment period: 10 days.
SPECIAL NOTES: Effective as an antidote for poisoning including damage from ammonia poisoning. (assuming damage is not too far along)This med will nuke your BB!! best not to use it in your main tank. Only use in Hospital tank.

rothenb1
05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks Tanks, I had no idea about that medicine. I will definitely check it out for future reference. You're quite helpful!

tori.lock
05-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. It's always a shame to loose a fish.

Lady Hobbs
05-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Sorry about your Betta. Could be it was just his time to go, too. They are not long- lived fish.

Bristley
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry for your loss. I hope you find another betta that will capture your heart and be a long time friend and companion soon.