PDA

View Full Version : 10g friendly pleco?

tori.lock
05-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm planning on starting a 10g aquarium, and I was curious of any plecos stayed small enough to live happily in a 10g. I don't have any plans for it yet, but it would be planted, and as for other species I was thinking a school of pygmy corries, probably a betta or gourami, and possibly a school of some micro fish to get some activity in the center of the aquarium.

HorrorShowRot
05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
My bn is relativly tiny just over an inch wats the footprint of the tank

Sasquatch
05-26-2010, 12:01 AM
They can be hard to find and they'll definately be more expensive than common plecos, but there are some small plecos out there. Small species of Peckoltia, Panaque and Ancistrus could all work. If the LFS has the "L number" or a species name, do a little research before buying so you know what you're getting and what that specific pleco requires.

Another obvious option would be a small school of oto cats.

As for the rest of the tank, pigmy cories and other small schooling fish would be fine. I'd stay away from bettas and gouramis unless they're alone (with the pleco), in such a small aquarium it could lead to territorial aggression.

sheamurai
05-26-2010, 01:09 AM
I like my otos better than my plecos...

VoidParadigm
05-26-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't agree with putting any size pleco in a ten gallon.
Regardless, if you do decide to do it, don't go with the pygmy cories too.
Not enough room in my opinion for both species as a bottom dweller.

EmmanuelJB
05-26-2010, 01:18 AM
The only pleco I can think of is a pitbull pleco, which is basically an over sized otto. Other than that a couple ottos would do ok.

tori.lock
05-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I didn't think that any pleco would work, but I wanted to see if there was some species that I hadn't heard of. Thank you!

Meenu
05-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I do not think a bristlenose is appropriate for a 10 gallon tank (no pleco that I know of, but I've never heard of a pitbull). I also do not think pygmy cories will work too well, just because they need to be in large schools. I've read that they can die if the school is too small.

troy
05-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Pit bull plecos aren't actually "plecos". They belong to the parotocinclus genus.

Sasquatch
05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Pit bull plecos aren't actually "plecos". They belong to the parotocinclus genus.

Just out of curiosity ... what is a pleco? I've look a few places and there aren't any with the species name Plecostomus sp.

The family is Loricaridae, after that you get down to various genus and species, so where does pleco come from?

Owlbehere
05-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Hypostomus plecostomus

Thats all I know about them... The name