PDA

View Full Version : New Red Tail Tinfoil Barb

YaYgoldFish
05-28-2007, 02:50 AM
So today i went to my lfs to get a friend for my mountain shrimp and also saw these silver 2'' fish that i thought would look nice with my fish. The guy at the lfs didn't know much about them except the name, so i got one since they were about 3 bucks...So i come home and put him in with the other shrimp i got. I then find my other shrimp died ( ph was high) so i had to change water and then put them in, I also redecorated the aquarium ( just moved stuff around) so that my other fish wouldn't figh over territory. I was just wondering if anyone knew much about these guys..All i know is that they could eat my live plants, eat my shrimps, and grow up to a foot long..so i may bring them back. Before i did tho, i wanted an input on what some of you guys think.

Ill post a pic tomorow :)

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2007, 02:52 AM
i used to have one. He was very fast, never bothered other fish, and his favorite treat was live cricket

YaYgoldFish
05-28-2007, 03:00 AM
So your saying its a good fish? How big did he get? Did you get them in schools? Could you just give me a couple of hints? I think they look and are amazing, but i don't think i could keep everyone happy in my tank with him...not sure tho..

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2007, 03:08 AM
when i quit fish a few years ago, he had to go too. he was 4". He was kept single and swam mid-level. he used to grab crickets out of the albino clawed frogs mouth and they would fight

YaYgoldFish
05-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Ok, do you think he would try to eat my mountain shrimp?

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2007, 03:11 AM
probably if they were visible

YaYgoldFish
05-28-2007, 03:13 AM
For now hes always under the driftwood..i think. They're great hike and seek players:ezpi_wink1:

troy
06-07-2007, 04:02 AM
My brother has 2 in a 29 gallon aquarium with some bottom-dwellers.They hog food ex. eating an algae tablet in one gulp and hog most of the tank.

cocoa_pleco
06-07-2007, 04:08 AM
they are pigs. I wish i got a pic of mine with the albino clawed frog when i had them. They were the same size and if the frog had a big cricket in his mouth theyd fight and tear the cricket

Rue
06-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Don't they need a huge tank, like 55g each? Aren't they aggressive? Don't they eat small fish?

cocoa_pleco
06-07-2007, 04:13 AM
They dont get too big and arent aggressive. My 33g was EXTREMELY overstocked and i had fish as small as guppies and neons and as large as knifes and large catfish, and he bothered nothing. The only fights were clean ones over crickets with froggy

Severus
06-07-2007, 04:19 AM
They are generall peaceful but should be kept in groups of AT LEAST three or more. This is unfortunate due to the fact they get so large and therefore will need a very large tank. I would assume since they are such a large fish, they have a very voracious appetite and are quite messy.

Lady Hobbs
06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I just checked them online and it says they get 10 inches.

genitor
06-07-2007, 02:57 PM
They get to 12". I had two that got to 6" with angels and swordtails and they never troubled anyone. They are very fast and swim around all the time and splash a lot when feeding. However, I was overstocked and had to sell them to the lfs.