PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Shrimp

Sursion
05-25-2010, 05:44 AM
I saw some massive Bamboo shrimp at the local petstore today. I did some research, and it (wikipedia) says they should be put into a tank no younger then 6 months so that plankton buildup is high enough for the shrimp to live comfortably.

Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? Will using the live bacteria stuff help at all? Is wikipedia wrong?

Also, how important is it that they have good access to the filter? At the store, all 4 of them were sitting on the massive filter. I don't have such a filter, mine is inaccessible to fish/shrimp.

Jacko
05-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Live plants often have alot of little organisms on them, while they'll help they won't make it instantaneous.

Live bacteria won't do anything, they don't eat bacteria.

Wiki is all too often wrong, while what you read now might be right, give it a week and it'll be different.

If they do not have access to an area of high flow, they will starve... While 6 months is a bit extreme, I wouldn't put them in anything that isn't 3 months or older. They need lots of little tidbits, algae and microscopic foods to survive, something that isn't often found in a new tank.

They're awesome shrimp, spend most of their time in some part of the tank with lots of flow filter feeding (next to the outlet of a filter, powerhead or even an airstone)... if you have none of these in the tank I'd suggest adding one.

korith
05-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders, meaning they feed off of stuff in the water column. A mature tank is more likely to have this. A lot of the time we want our tank water crystal clear, but with shrimp I've found it's not always a good thing. The plant suggestion is good. You can also break bits of algae wafer. Bamboo shrimp will scavenge off the substrate and other stuff if they can't get enough from filter feeding off the water column. It's usually a bad sign though.