PDA

View Full Version : Golden White Cloud behavior

FishGirl-Seattle
05-25-2010, 04:46 AM
I have a small school of goldens in a 20 long planted tank (7 fish), never kept minnows before and was expecting a fairly docile group, like neons, but they are a lot more active than expected. I think a couple of them are getting ready to breed and was wondering if their hyperactive behavior is due to that? Also, I'm concerned that a 20 long is too small for them, given how active they are... especially if this is the normal activity level for them. I have a couple ottos in there too. Do I need to give these fellows a bigger playground? I already moved out the ember tetras so the minnows could stretch out but not sure it's enough. Advice?

Northernguy
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
See pm.:22:

Lady Hobbs
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
They are very active fish and never motionless. The females have a bigger belly and the males smaller and thinner. They can stay in a tank with their young and they scatter their eggs around the bottom. I'm sure they are fine in a 20 gallon long.

VoidParadigm
05-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Minnows are always active.
Have you ever gone to a stream or lake and tried to catch them?
Pretty darn hard.

It took me two days to get my Danios out of my twenty gallon.

Never again will I go with minnows, NEVER again.

They're pretty nice in species-only tanks, but when they're in communities many more docile fish will become alarmed by their quick, darting behavoir.

FishGirl-Seattle
05-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Ok, thanks guys. Guess I'm used to lazy fish! Gosh these fellows are pretty though!!