PDA

View Full Version : water changes (how?)

drakanorn
05-27-2007, 10:15 PM
i plan to get a 50 gallon tank and do 10% water chages weekly. my question is...

How do you go about doing water changes without making a mess?:confused:

NeonJulie
05-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Like a lot of people have been talking about lately, you'll probably want to look into a Python system. You can even get it at Walmart now. It attaches to your faucet with a long house that sucks the water out, then flips and pours fresh water in, after adding the Prime or dechlorinator in full amount to the tank.

Which is good, because you need to consider upping that to 25%-50% per week.

If you have a small tank like I do and conveniently located, then you can just use a gravel vac to remove the water, and then use buckets and pitcher the amount back in.

If you have fake plants, you can do a deep thorough vac cleaning, if you have some plants, the area where there aren't plants, and if you have a lot of real plants, just pick up some of the extra waste that might be lying on the top, and leave the substrate for the plants.

You're going to want to learn all about the nitrogen cycle for your new tank, so you can minimize fish death of your new fishtank. I recommend fishless cycling, it's as easy as can be.

drakanorn
05-27-2007, 11:42 PM
thank you for the suggestion i think ill go with the python sytem :) i have already done alot of research on the nitrogen cycle and plan to cycle my tank for three months with live rock in preperation for my bimac(octopus):thumb:

A340
05-28-2007, 01:20 AM
50 gallon tank at 10% water change weekly is only 5 gallons, or one bucket to empty and one bucket to re-fill which equals one round trip between aquarium and sink. Hardly enough to justify buying a python in my opinion.

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2007, 01:28 AM
pythons definitely are the best.

On a 50g, it's best to take out at least 15G of water per week

drakanorn
05-28-2007, 03:15 AM
50 gallon tank at 10% water change weekly is only 5 gallons, or one bucket to empty and one bucket to re-fill which equals one round trip between aquarium and sink. Hardly enough to justify buying a python in my opinion.

unfortunatly my muscles are about as developed as a 5 year olds rendering me incapable of moving such a bucket, atleast not without sloshing it all over the carpet...

Rue
05-28-2007, 04:30 AM
...I may have missed something...but I didn't think you could use a python to fill a SW tank...

...to drain maybe, but not to fill...

cocoa_pleco
05-28-2007, 04:47 AM
saltwater tanks wont work with it. The fish/inverts will get shocked by the sudden gush of FW

hungryhound
05-28-2007, 04:55 AM
...I may have missed something...but I didn't think you could use a python to fill a SW tank...

...to drain maybe, but not to fill...

I believe you are correct Rue. I think to fill a SW tank you have to fill a bucket and mix the salt in a bucket and then dump it in the tank.

I did a quick search and found some conformation

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=423
Can I still use my Python, now that I have a saltwater aquarium?
Yes. Set the mixing container next to the aquarium that will be getting a water change. When the new water is ready, use the Python to clean the gravel and drain water. Then, hook the end of the Python up to the pump in the container and deliver new water to the aquarium.

gbbudd
06-12-2007, 02:43 AM
you can use even a garden hose to drain your tanks water, weather it's out a window to a sink or even a tub or shower. if you can't get a syphon to work buy a power head it will push the water into the hose not a drop of water will ever hit your floors. you can even buy an addapter ant most hardware stores a lengthen a python. if im not mistaken though pythons add water directly from your tap water " faucet " to the tank. tap water has clorine in it which is used to kill bacteria, algea, ever try keeping fish in your pool? ok a bit extreme levels are much higher in a pool but same idea. Water should be aged a minimum of 24 hours in a open container this will alow chlorine to evaporate. Next trick is temps should be simular. Look at it this way folks either spend a few dollars in initial set ups for ease of use. or spend the money in dead fish due to accidents or neglect. a couple pics of my tank to show how im doing with my tank
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z232/gbbudd/

jessie
06-12-2007, 02:54 AM
How would you suggest aging water for lets say a 100 gallon tank? It is impractical, not to mention back-breaking to carry 50 or more gallons of bucket water into a tank. I only have fresh water, but a 50% water change for my tank is 35 gallons! I have always used the method of hooking up my siphon system to the faucet, and as the water is going into the tank, I simultaneously add the dechlorinator as well as all of my buffer and salts that have been premixed together in a small bucket. (So the only bucket I am pouring in is a 3 gallon with all the chemicals, salts, etc..,). So, yes, I guess that there is a chance that some of the chlorine is hitting the tank water before it gets dechlorinated, but I have never seen an ammonia or nitrite spke with this method, and I turn off all my filters during the addition of fresh water just in case. Does anybody have any easier or better method of filling a large volume of water to their tanks? I would be interested to hear what the rest of you do who have very large tanks.

Willyleigh
06-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I would not worry about yoru fish or bacteria being exposed to chlorine for a small amount of time because I did a test on some Endleri guppy babies, taking water from a bucket of tap water at tank temperature, adding dechlorinator then taking some water from that and adding a baby to each.

The baby lived in plain untreated water for an hour and seemed fine, if dechlorinator is used you shouldn't have a problem.

elmer
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
The baby lived in plain untreated water for an hour and seemed fine, if dechlorinator is used you shouldn't have a problem. Uh huh, but what about the bacteria?

Anyway, I just have two 5 gallon buckets and a siphon.

For me to attach a Python I'd have to unscrew the cosmetic end of the tap and replace it after. Also the Python is a much larger hose than my little plastic tube that the siphon comes with.

Also I feel best about using a dechlorinator and leaving the new water overnight. This ensures that I get room-temperature water, and my tank's heater is set to room temperature so they should be a good match.

I use the same siphon to drain and then to fill the tank, and this is nice and gradual. I do get the odd splash or drip on the hardwood floor, no problem, just keep a towel handy as part of the kit.

Finally, using a bucket means I get to collect five gallons of water rich in nitrates, which is great for my garden, especially since we are under a water ban!

The only trick to filling a tank with the siphon from a bucket is that you need to get the heavy bucket higher than the tank. Luckily I have a sturdy desk nearby.

Anyway, (to anyone reading this thread), if you're doing water changes at all, you're probably ahead of most beginners out there, so good for you no matter how you choose to do it.