PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fungus growth in Brine Shrimp tank

KnightOIce
05-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Sorry, I wasn`t sure if this was better suited for the "Fish Diseases" or this section.

I think I may have a growth of "cotton-ball" fungi in my Brine Shrimp tank. I've had it for about two weeks now, and my tank is about a month old. It resembles the stuff in this video, in the bottom left corner at time 0:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INoPnw9bfLM&feature=youtube_gdata

So how dangerous is it? I've read that it depletes oxygen in a tank. Either my brine shrimp tried eating it, or it started growing on one of them. I've only lost one in this time period, because I kept trying to remove it. I obtained some 'Seamonkey seamedic' which is suppose to take care of it, but there is still some that appears to be in the tank. Does anyone know what the 'seamedic' is comprised of? Besides straining out my tank and losing eggs, what else can I do? How dense do the 'cotton balls' get, and could I be mistaking some of it for poo? There are some things which seemed to be made of the same material, but almost like floating spiderwebs. Also, how can I prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks in advance!