PDA

View Full Version : help injured guorami

keithabi
05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I have noticed today that a small female dwarf guorami has had most of her tail and some of her dorsal nibbled away. I think my other dwarf guoramis are responsible, i've seen them nipping and chasing her. The question is what should i do? I've just sent my husband out to get a breeding trap to keep her safe for the time being but i haven't got a spare tank anymore as i recently put dwarf pufers in it. Is she likely to survive? If she does what should i do with her?:help:

hungryhound
05-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I have noticed today that a small female dwarf guorami has had most of her tail and some of her dorsal nibbled away. I think my other dwarf guoramis are responsible, i've seen them nipping and chasing her. The question is what should i do? I've just sent my husband out to get a breeding trap to keep her safe for the time being but i haven't got a spare tank anymore as i recently put dwarf pufers in it. Is she likely to survive? If she does what should i do with her?:help:

I would treat with melafix and primafix as that should help the tail regrow. Fins will regrow if they are given time.

I am not sure about where you should put her, as separating some of your fish may need to be done.

Hopefully she will recover.

By the way. There isn't a bubble nest in the tan is there? Gourami males get very aggressive when they are guarding nests.

keithabi
05-27-2007, 02:35 PM
No there's no bubble nest. Will it be o.k to leave her in the breeding trap for few days while she recovers? I've got some methylene blue which can be added direct to wounds but how do you do this?Surely you can't do it under water can you? As for separating fish i don't know how i can do that. I have guoramis guppies a black shark and loaches in my 35g, cichlids and bala sharks in my 50g and dwarf puffers in my 20g.

cocoa_pleco
05-27-2007, 03:39 PM
the gourami can be in the breeding trap for a few days.

I think the best thing would be to get him a 5g, a small filter, and a heater, shouldnt be more than 20$.

Im not too sure about the methylene blue. I wanted to use it on my cory eggs, and it said that it should be added directly yo the tank

Lady Hobbs
05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
I removed my fish from the tank and wrapped in a wet towel. Layed it on the kitchen counter and applied the meds with a q-tip. You can not leave the fish out for more than one minute so have everything ready.

If this fish is being harassed, you may have to use a tank divider. Fixing it up and just returning him to the same enviroment will only have the same results. Gourami's bump and chase each other but not generally known to nip fins (they have no teeth). Could it be possible this gourami's has fin rot rather than being nipped at?

PS.....metafix is what I directly applied. You can not do that with the med you mentioned.

cocoa_pleco
05-27-2007, 05:00 PM
i did the net out and plate thing too with my betta. He had bad fin rot, so i applied hydrogen peroxide. It worked well.

Do NOT let the peroxide get into their gills