PDA

View Full Version : don't know how much longer I can watch suffering fish

roxy1
05-23-2010, 04:53 PM
My little lion-head is still covered in fungus, even after treating with Maracyn and the fizzy tabs. He looks like he is suffering. I wonder if it would be more humane to just put him out of his misery? Today is only day 2 with the fungus tabs, and the duration calls for 4 days. Can anyone tell me if these fish actually suffer? It breaks my heart to look at him. Should I wait it out? He looks even worse today. I really don't know what else to do for him. I just wonder if any of you have ever been in this situation? His tankmate is still looking very healthy, not a spot on him, is eating and active. Can someone tell me what they would do if they were me? I really care for this little fish, and would rather put him down than know he was suffering. Thank you. (sad) Roxy

Brhino
05-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Euthanasia is unfortunately a tool every fish keeper should be ready to use when the time is right. If your fish is suffering from a disease or injury that you do not think is recoverable, ending its life quickly is the only humane choice.

Given that the fungus tabs recommend a 4-day treatment, I would at least give it that long. If that does not yield any improvement, then it may be time to consider euthanasia.

roxy1
05-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I will take your advice and just wait awhile longer. My fish has started moving around a little, and that makes me feel better. I've even been giving him some pep-talks...Yeah, I know...I may be losing it a little! I have a friend who raises goldfish in a pond, and he suggested that I remove my sick fish from the tank completely, and put it in a kiddy pool filled with rainwater...I can't do this, of course, because I don't have access to any rainwater, and I really think this would only shock his system even more. This friend has amazing luck with his fish...They've multiplied in that pond over the years, so the conditions must be perfect for them. I would love to have a pond, but have to laugh at myself where that's concerned! I can't even manage a 30 gal. tank! Anyway, thanks again for your response. It makes perfect sense, and I need to stop thinking with my heart for now. Hope you have a great Sunday!
Roxy

Wild Turkey
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
For euthanasia, placing the fish in cool water and placing it in the freezer works well and is generally accepted as "humane".

I agree that you should give a shot at curing what ales it before you go that route though.

megastealer
05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Another method is clove oil.

From: http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpful-articles/euthanize-fish

Like most animals, it is sometimes necessary to end a fish's life prematurely because of illness or disease. The easiest way to kill a fish quickly is to destroy the fishes brain with a sharp implement. You can also euthanize the fish quickly by severing its spinal cord just behind the head. Carrying out this procedure must be done very quickly so as not to cause any stress to the fish. If you are not confident enough to dispatch a fish this way then use an anesthetic to put the fish into a deep sleep and then carry out the procedure. If you still can't bring yourself to physically cut the fish then an overdose of anesthetic can be used to euthanize the fish. The following instructions show you how to euthanize a fish using clove oil.

Clove oil is readily available at various outlets such as Boots. I think I paid about £1.30 for my little pot. Sometimes people use a drop for toothache as it numbs the area.

1. Firstly, move the fish into a smaller tank, a baby bath or bucket - something that can be thrown away or easily cleaned.
2. Put 3 drops with a half pint of water and shake very well, so the oil and water make a fusion - otherwise the oil will just float on top of the water and for the euthanasia to work the fish has to get the oil into its system.
3. Add the mixture to the water that the fish is in (1 gallon of water should be more than enough) and stir it around slowly with your hand. The fish should become lethargic and sleepy.
4. Add another mixture of 2 to 3 drops of oil in water. When the fish goes "belly up" it is asleep - not dead.
5. Then add 3 more drops of clove oil. The fish feels nothing, it is very peaceful and humane. It seems mad that a few drops of something can have such an effect, but it IS very strong. Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you initially put more in it will act quicker - it will only freak the fish out - it has to be done gradually so the fish doesn't notice the change in the water.

The whole proceedure should take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. You will know when the fish is completely dead because there will be absolutely no movement of the gills. If after an hour the fishes gills are still moving you could add a couple more drops of clove oil. Sometimes it does depend on the size of the fish to how many drops of clove oil are needed.

tanks4thememories
05-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Given that the fungus tabs recommend a 4-day treatment, I would at least give it that long. If that does not yield any improvement, then it may be time to consider euthanasia.
Agreed 100%

For euthanasia, placing the fish in cool water and placing it in the freezer works well and is generally accepted as "humane".

This method works. I have also seen Ice water used.

Another method is clove oil.

From: http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpful-articles/euthanize-fish

This is the method I use though.

However I agree with the sentiment of each person above. I think you should give it time. The fish are suffering but stronger and more important IMHO is their will and right to have a fair chance to survive. What they are going through right now is basically the equivalent to a person having a really bad case of the flu in terms of discomfort level. And if they survive they will be that much more precious to you for what you have been through together:ssmile: Not to mention that we learn just as much if not more from our failures as we do our successes. So the next fish you have if these don't make it may one day owe their lives to the suffering of these fish to learn how to deal with this type of situation.

PS I have no experience with the active ingredients in the fizzy stuff so I do not know it may perform the same benefits as the blue stuff, but one of the reasons I promote and use the blue stuff is it also rejuvenates organ functions and comforts the animal being treated. Don't worry we will know soon how it is going and the best thing is you care for them and are doing the best for them that you can.thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I've been looking at your goldfish pictures again and I swear it looks like something my blood parrot had. Had pictures of it for ages but now see I have deleted them. But he got those cotton like patches on his face several times, ever few months, that would not go away and stay away. They would appear a month later in exactly the same place.

After these patches went away, he had indentions in his body and my belief was that it was Hole in The Head. After reading up about it, it does say that HITH pits will get those patches and the pits fill with this stuff. Your goldfish looks just like how my parrot looked and yours also has what is called lateral line errosion.

If this is the case, those medications will not help. I will see if I can find a picture or two that I hid somewhere.

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Found one but this is when these white blobs started. As time went on, he got more and more of these spots and as the white junk cleared away, the pits that were left were more visible.

Good article on HITH. http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/diseases/Hexamita/100016/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/My%20Fish/fungus.jpg

Lady Hobbs
05-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh poop. I was looking at the wrong users photos.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=63407

cinder
04-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Hi, I am new to my 20 gallon aquarium. Just started on March 15th, and then we added our fish 9 days later. We have already been back to the fish store with several issues. We bought 4 neon’s, 4 glow fish, 2 yellow tailed guppies, 2 catfish, 1 rubber lipped pleco. I already love my little habitat. The first guppy had issues and we were told he had a stroke. The second guppies passed away in the night, and then my catfish started had a red sore on his mouth. Then we were told he had cut his lip and they would try to treat him come back in a few days and we will see if we can heal him. We were told our male guppies killed the other male. We got a femaleWe were told then we should also add stress zyme.. She passed away in the night three days later. Then when we took her back to the store to have her examined we decided no more guppies if this male are aggressive. We picked up what we thought was our catfish and when we put him in the tank we noticed he did not have a tail. Wrong fish. Took him back the next day and picked up who we thought might be Diego. Two days later this little guy had fish fungus on his right fin. Each time I have been back I have also taken a water sample for testing. I was told it was great. Took him back up and received a new friend Pedro. Called a friend who is great with tanks and he said we need to use Fungus Clean Fizz Tabs. My tank is a nice green color and I am terrified I just killed all my fish. Any words of hope.

KingFisher
04-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Cinder, please make your own thread to ask your questions. This thread is old and does not pertain to your situation.