PDA

View Full Version : Black Moor GoldFish help

adith123
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Hello, i'm very new to fish keeping, i had 2 black golds, one of them lost an eye :( i dunno how. and the other was pretty healthy, but today, suddenly, it was floating on its side at the top of the water, though it was alive, and breathing, then in sometime it eventually died . In the morning, it was pretty active though. What happened here. I have other regular goldfish and they seem to do good(touch wood)

P.S. I live in india and i've limited access to those ph tests and ammonia tests . is that a real necesssity pls advise !

Northernguy
05-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
Yes those test kits are very necessary.They tell you what your water is doing.
Ammonia and nitrites are very toxic to your fish.
How did you cycle your tank to make it safe for your fish?When was your last water change?
Read the ebook.There is a link in my sig.It will help.

adith123
05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
i cycled the water, after adding some dechlorinator

cycled for 3 days, with 10 zebra danios, as advised by the fish store( ppl here dunno much )

2 artificial plants, gravel

1 underwater mechanical filter, which releases oxygen at the same time !

thats about it ! kindly help

Thanks in advance

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Please read the link in my signature regarding goldfish sizes. What size tank do you have? Those danio's did not cycle a tank in 3 days! Maybe in 3 weeks and then only enough for one goldfish.

adith123
05-22-2010, 03:33 PM
so wat can i do now ? and 1 gold fish ? they're really small. I was thinking maybe getting a bigger tank for them once they're bigger. Is that wrong ?

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
The more room the better. Some get pretty darned big. You need to keep up with a lot of water changes and if anyway possible, see if you can find a test kit or take water in to be tested by the fish store. Problem with relying on them is water should be tested daily until you have a cycled tank.

If you know of anyone who has fish tanks, ask them for some filter media from their tank. Goldfish produce a lot of waste and high levels of ammonia so feed lightly during this time and keep up with water changes. Good luck.

EmmanuelJB
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
A 20 gallon is way to small for 6 gold fish!

Even 1 gold fish in a 20 gallon is alot. I would take at least 5 of the goldfish back, then upgrade the tank, and when you have a big enough tank get a couple more.

adith123
05-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Actually, since i'm a REAL beginner, pls shed some light. I dunno how u judge the number of fish in a tank. Wouldnt having a single small goldfish(less than 2 inches long) in a single 20 gallon tank be awkward ? i always thought tat, we could keep more when they're babies and then upgrade when they grow bigger ! Am i wrong !?

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
When you buy baby fish, they are small but baby fish grow so tank size should be what can accomodate adult fish. Fish grow very quickly so unless you can add them to a larger tank within a couple months, you should not get the fish.

Rue
05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Goldfish also don't do well at warm temperatures...so if your place is hot, they won't make it.

megastealer
05-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Unfortunately if you want to keep more than 1 goldfish you will need a bigger tank. My baby goldfish went from 1" to over 5" in about 3 months... so they grow very quickly.

Even the small goldfish produce large amounts of ammonia. And remember, the ammonia is colorless, so you can't see it while its in there poisoning your fish :scry:

Bristley
05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok, here's my 2 cents. Others have already given some good advice. What I think you should do is read, read and read some more. First read the free ebook. Secondly, read the information on cycling a tank. Then if you can find a good book on goldfish I would read that as well. (If someone knows a good quality book on goldfish that they can suggest to the OP please do).

Next, as others have stated, you really need to buy fish for the size tank that you have not the other way around. For goldfish a good guideline would be this......first goldfish 20gal tank or more, each additional goldfish 10-15gal more per fish. So if you were wanting to keep 6 goldfish then you should have about a 75gal tank to ensure that you could provide them with proper living conditions.

Each type of fish is different though so it's mega important that you read up on the type you want to get and it's needs. A 20gal could easily support a bunch of danios, but like mentioned above is really only good for one goldfish.

The temperature is another thing. Rue mentioned goldfish don't do well when it's too hot so that is something else to consider if you cannot keep the tank at the proper temperature for your fish.

I know this is a lot of information and some of it may sound discouraging but don't let it turn you off from this hobby. You're doing the right thing by asking questions and trying to do what's right for your fish. All you need know is to read up to develop your "knowledge arsenal" so that you can be better prepared to give your fish a healthy, happy home.

Let us know what you decide to do and how things are going. With all the experienced and knowledgeable people on this site I'm sure that we can help you to have a tank that will work for you and provide both you and your fish with years of enjoyment.

adith123
05-25-2010, 04:32 AM
First thing i would like to say here is, i'm a member of lots of forums, but really, this is the best one ever, i've never seen such friendliness and hospitality before . Hats off to all the ppl in this forum.

And really thanks for ur advise people. i'll take them. And, i'm really confident that i can care for my fish with the help of this forum ! Thanks a lOT !

megastealer
05-25-2010, 06:25 AM
First thing i would like to say here is, i'm a member of lots of forums, but really, this is the best one ever, i've never seen such friendliness and hospitality before . Hats off to all the ppl in this forum.

And really thanks for ur advise people. i'll take them. And, i'm really confident that i can care for my fish with the help of this forum ! Thanks a lOT !

You're welcome! We all needed help once too. I still need help. So this is indeed a great place :22:

adith123
05-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Help ! The blackmoor , with the one eye passed away today. I dunno how this happened, it was very active during the night, after a water change in the morning, which led me to think tat the WC was a success.(b4 that, it stayed at the bottom all the time ) When i saw it in the morn , it was dead. One thing i noticed was, it had a small mouth incapable of feeding the pellet sized food,which the other gold fish can easily eat.

adith123
05-26-2010, 04:41 AM
one of my other fan tail goldfish has a problem. There's a pimple like thing on its top fin, and white growth on it. Also on its anal right fin, there's a sort of reddish streak. I just dunno wat to do. shud i put it in a separate space or something to treat it ? wat kind of medication shud i use ? And as everyone says, my aquarium is indeed overstocked. What do i do with the extra fishes ??

P.s. Its not an option for me to get a larger tank right now !