PDA

View Full Version : the green fizzy fungus tabs

roxy1
05-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I just did a %50 water change and added the fungus cure by Jungle Buddies. My water is now a lovely green color. I've been treating for fungus with Maracyn for 3 days now, with no results what-so-ever. I hope I'm not completely finishing off my fish by doing this, but the fungus was not getting better...If anything, it was getting worse. I am now worried about my water quality. I can't do anything for 4 days, according to the directions on the medication. I know I've completely killed any good bacteria by treating with the Maracyn, and have a question about that, assuming that my fish survive this last attempt to save them. I have a friend with a healthy cichlid tank, and am wondering if, after the duration of the treatment, I could use one of her used filter cartridges in my own filter. Would this help speed up the good bacteria in my tank? Also, does anyone know how long this fungus cure takes to work? The duration of one dose is 4 days...It says on the package to repeat in 4 days if the symptoms aren't completely gone. Hopefully, THIS cure will actually cure them. My sick fish ate a little this morning, but is very sluggish still. I'm running my filter without carbon, and have a double air-stone which is keeping my water well oxygenated...I am just worried about the fact that I have no benifical bacteria and can't do any water changes. Can anyone offer any ideas or advice? I'm sorry for the frequent posts and questions. I appreciate all the advice, and hope you are not all getting tired of me asking questions! Thank you again for any responses.
Roxy

Northernguy
05-22-2010, 02:46 PM
The carteridge from your freinds tank will be a great help to yours.
Did you do a water change between treatments?
Did you remove any carbon from your filter before adding the meds?

tanks4thememories
05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I just did a %50 water change and added the fungus cure by Jungle Buddies. My water is now a lovely green color. I've been treating for fungus with Maracyn for 3 days now, with no results what-so-ever. I hope I'm not completely finishing off my fish by doing this, but the fungus was not getting better...If anything, it was getting worse. I am now worried about my water quality. I can't do anything for 4 days, according to the directions on the medication. I know I've completely killed any good bacteria by treating with the Maracyn, and have a question about that, assuming that my fish survive this last attempt to save them. I have a friend with a healthy cichlid tank, and am wondering if, after the duration of the treatment, I could use one of her used filter cartridges in my own filter. Would this help speed up the good bacteria in my tank? Also, does anyone know how long this fungus cure takes to work? The duration of one dose is 4 days...It says on the package to repeat in 4 days if the symptoms aren't completely gone. Hopefully, THIS cure will actually cure them. My sick fish ate a little this morning, but is very sluggish still. I'm running my filter without carbon, and have a double air-stone which is keeping my water well oxygenated...I am just worried about the fact that I have no benifical bacteria and can't do any water changes. Can anyone offer any ideas or advice? I'm sorry for the frequent posts and questions. I appreciate all the advice, and hope you are not all getting tired of me asking questions! Thank you again for any responses.
Roxy

Well get some ammo chips or puragen these type of products will chemically remove the ammonia during your medication period. They are also reusable.
Put them in your filter. I use a cheap pair of panty hose and cut the legs and tie them off making a filter sock then fill the desired product then tie off the other end. Very economical and it works great.

Now on to your cycling. yes if you use your friends cartridge (This is called seeding your BB filtration) after your meds are done not only will you get a good head start but basically you are instantly cycling your tank. From that point on you will most likely experience a "mini cycle" (lasting from 3-6 days) as the new BB settle down in to their new environment. At the end of that mini cycle you basically have an established tank.

If your friends filter is the exact same model as your own then you just pop it in. If they are different then you need to strip the hard plastic frame off of away from the soft cottony part. then stuff the soft cottony part into your own filter right next to your own cartridge. It is more efficient if the old one and the new one actually touch each other if possible.

PS We have all been in need of help at one time or another. Plus it is always inspiration to help more when you see the person actively considering and applying the information you give them (Just as You do:ssmile: ) You will make a great fish keeper and I bet an awesome forum contributor as well when you get the hang of this stuff. Normally it isn't so crazy when you are cycling its just you got some bad starting advice thus off to an advanced start...lol So no worries...:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Fungus meds do kill the bacteria so my thought is adding media from a friends filter will just kill off the bacteria again as long as the medication is in the tank. I would have to go with tanks suggestion to just try to use something to eliminate the ammonia built up. That also gets tricky using too many chemicals at once.

Have you tried Melafix at all? That is considered a natural product and not really a medication but does help with fungal problems.

roxy1
05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
No, I've not tried Melafix, only Maracyn, and now the fizzy fungus tabs by Jungle Buddies. I only put it in a few hours ago, and this may be wishful thinking on my part, but the filmy stuff looks like it's beginning to come off in stringy pieces. I know it's not logical to think that this stuff is working so fast...maybe the fungus is just reaching another stage? I wish my fish would perk up a little. That would make me feel much better. He's still hanging on, though, and I'm leaving him alone, just letting him rest and trying to keep him as stress-free as possible. Thanks once again for the info! I hope I CAN contribute to others here someday! God knows I'm learning the hard way! But feel very fortunate to have you guys, who are so willing to give quick responses! I'm afraid time is not on my side when it comes to my sick little fish. :scry:
Roxy

Lady Hobbs
05-22-2010, 08:05 PM
You may want to add some oxygen to your tank if medicating. Lower the water level some or add an airstone. Medication depletes the oxygen.

megastealer
05-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Those fizzy tabs do turn the water green, and it does seem to kill the fungus almost instantly. All of my fish survived the treatment and I haven't seen a fungal infection in that tank ever since. I'm very impressed with it, so I hope it works out for you too!

Especially with those $25 fish. Keep us updated!

tanks4thememories
05-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Those fizzy tabs do turn the water green, and it does seem to kill the fungus almost instantly. All of my fish survived the treatment and I haven't seen a fungal infection in that tank ever since. I'm very impressed with it, so I hope it works out for you too!

Especially with those $25 fish. Keep us updated!

Thats good to know cause Ive never used it. I have herd a lot of good stuff about it though.