PDA

View Full Version : Crispy's pond build....

Crispy
05-22-2010, 08:28 AM
okay, so I'm in the process of building a pond for my dad... we did all this work today with 4 people... updated pics to come soon... about 1500 sq. ft we estimate...

Zilla
05-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Well done. Can't wait to see the finished project.

What's going in it?

Northernguy
05-22-2010, 03:13 PM
It looks like a great start!
Have you guestimated how many gallons it is yet?

How come you are the only one that is looking busy?:hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Not sure how many gallons, but the big half is 5'x6'x2.5', smaller half is 5'x4'x2.5'. Rough guesstimate of 1500 sq ft. My dad currently has 4 small koi. Think we're gonna stock some native species... bluegill mostly, and hopefully a nice channel or bullhead cat. Would love to get a bowfin or gar. I have access to many snapping turtles, so we might toss one in and see if it stays.

Should be completed in the next few weeks, so I will definitely update pics!

BTW NG, I am not in any of those pics, but yeah, been very busy... here I am standing in the pond...lol, I look like hell after all that digging.. haha.. I'm a huge guy, so the pond looks small with me in it.. :)

aquariums+me=happy
05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Very nice. Koi are some cool fish to watch. You should put a bench out there.

J Pribb
05-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Not sure how many gallons, but the big half is 5'x6'x2.5', smaller half is 5'x4'x2.5'. Rough guesstimate of 1500 sq ft. My dad currently has 4 small koi. Think we're gonna stock some native species... bluegill mostly, and hopefully a nice channel or bullhead cat. Would love to get a bowfin or gar. I have access to many snapping turtles, so we might toss one in and see if it stays.

Should be completed in the next few weeks, so I will definitely update pics!

BTW NG, I am not in any of those pics, but yeah, been very busy... here I am standing in the pond...lol, I look like hell after all that digging.. haha.. I'm a huge guy, so the pond looks small with me in it.. :)

hahaha,, no offense,, but in this photo you look like a slightly chubby bam magera- that guy from jackass. Nice pond build.

smaug
05-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Make it bigger and deeper!You wont regret it.Keep in mind those koi will all be 3 footers some day!Nice job so far for sure,remember though alot bigger and deeper is only a little more expensive for materials when your using soft liner.Keep it up.thumbs2:

Rue
05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice!!!

You too! ;)

I agree with smaug...but if you can't make it bigger...at least make it deeper. They need cooler water to get to..and it looks hot out there!

Crispy
05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
hahaha,, no offense,, but in this photo you look like a slightly chubby bam magera- that guy from jackass. Nice pond build.

haha, my gf loves bam! that's funny...

anyhoo, I may go slightly bigger... we'll see if I need more dirt for the waterfall part. If it were my pond, it would be huge. Thanks for all the comments everyone! :fish:

PS, Rue> it's not that hot here, it's Canada... hahaha...

hybridguy
05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
i also would go larger,it will b too late once it is done,i made that mistake twice b4 i finished mine at 18 ft by 16ft by 4 ft deep.Lookn good so far:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
...well, I don't know what part of ON you're in...but out here on the prairies where we live...it's gets d*mned HOT...:14:

Crispy
05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
...well, I don't know what part of ON you're in...but out here on the prairies where we live...it's gets d*mned HOT...:14:

I'm the most southern you can get in Canada... right on the Detroit border.. it gets hot june/july/august and that's it...

Rue
05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
...hmm...we lived in Guelph...and I found it really HOT there too...

Maybe I just have a low heat-tolerance...:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
We used tpo get a bunch of canucks at our local shooting matches in pa.It would be 85 -90 deg and the locals would be wearing long sleeve shooting shirts while the cans would be sweating out the molsons.Its all relative Rue:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Now I don't know what would be best! Dig the fish a deeper hole, or give them a beer?

Crispy
06-07-2010, 03:22 AM
UPDATE: Okay, it's been a few weeks and we needed to get back to work on the pond. Problem was that it stormed all weekend and the ground was soaked. :(

But we did what we could and I pumped out the hole (it was full from all the rain) with my spare fx5..lol.. we brought all the rocks from various friends and moved some of the big boulders into place.

We also made plans to make the pond much bigger. It is 3ft deep now and will be bigger around. In pic#3, you can see approx how much bigger it will be dug out. Hoping to work on it again tuesday and again sunday. Want it done for father's day.

HeatherB
06-07-2010, 04:10 AM
That is going to look wonderful! When do we get to come over and sit with our drinks and watch the koi?

Crispy
06-08-2010, 10:47 PM
UPDATE: got some more work on the pond done today! Not a ton, but it's getting there... moved some of the bigger rocks into place on the sides of the future waterfall and dug the pond out bigger around. Here's a pic...

BTW, tonight or tomorrow I will show how I plan on filtering it for under $20 (not including pump). So far this pond has only cost a few cases of beer and a pizza. :)

rothenb1
06-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Very nice!

Crispy
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Okay, so this is what I wanna do for a cheap DIY filter. http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/foundunconscious/filterbuild.jpg

so the water will be pumped into the bottom of a homemade canister/tote and fill it up untill it drains out the top bulkhead into the waterfall basin. Along the way the water will pass through some poly sponge, ceramic noodles, then another layer of sponge. The layers of media will be held in place by eggcrate.

Any big drawbacks to this? The only bad thing I can think of is the pressure and weight of the water on the input restricting my gph. We're looking at 3000gph with maybe 8" of head. The DIY canister/tote will be 10-20 gallons (not too large, plants will be the main source of filtration).

I was gonna go with a simple wet/dry that drained into the waterfall basin, but it would hafta sit higher than the basin to work. This is not aesthetically pleasing, so I came up with this idea that is almost totally hidden from sight.....

sorry bout my paint skills.. lol.. did this in 5 mins at 7am... :)

any input here would be greatly appreciated

AlabamaFish
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow! i am always impressed (and a lil jealous) of people who are able to make DIY filters and such... The pond looks really nice, and good job on the paint :).

Crispy
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
filter would look something like these....
http://www.pondbiz.com/shop/images/PF123.jpg

Bristley
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Awesome looking pond so far Crispy! Can't wait to see more pics as you keep progressing.

Northernguy
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
It certainly is getting there!
Nice job so far Crispy!

Aeonflame
06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Crispy, to alleviate some of the pressure from the weight of the water in the filter, you can try pumping to a pipe on the top that goes through the media to the bottom. This way, the water isnt being forced out of the filter by the pump itself. As an added bonus Ive found that some air gets trapped in the pipe and pushed through the media as well, which is good for the bacteria.

Crispy
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Crispy, to alleviate some of the pressure from the weight of the water in the filter, you can try pumping to a pipe on the top that goes through the media to the bottom. This way, the water isnt being forced out of the filter by the pump itself. As an added bonus Ive found that some air gets trapped in the pipe and pushed through the media as well, which is good for the bacteria.

I'm trying to avoid pumping into the top and having the outflow out the bottom cuz I need to keep the filter hidden. I need to pump into the bottom and have it spill out the top or else I would simply build a wet/dry if this is what I wanted. The filter won't be huge, and the pump should be plenty strong enuff to do this job, I'm just wondering if it will work?

Aeonflame
06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm trying to avoid pumping into the top and having the outflow out the bottom cuz I need to keep the filter hidden. I need to pump into the bottom and have it spill out the top or else I would simply build a wet/dry if this is what I wanted. The filter won't be huge, and the pump should be plenty strong enuff to do this job, I'm just wondering if it will work?

The outflow wont be at the bottom. The water will go through the top through a pipe that goes to an open area at the bottom then percolate upwards through the media and out through your overflow at the top.

Basically just a bigger version of this

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60394

Crispy
06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
The outflow wont be at the bottom. The water will go through the top through a pipe that goes to an open area at the bottom then percolate upwards through the media and out through your overflow at the top.

Basically just a bigger version of this

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=60394

ahhh... I see... not sure tho if I'd lose more gph pumping an extra 12-16" up to the top of the filter, or have it run into the bottom and withstand the pressure of the weight... hmmmm...... it's exactly what I'm building tho!

toddnbecka
06-10-2010, 06:25 AM
The pond looks a bit on the dry side. You should have a keg party to help fill it faster. By the time you get the filter up and running you'll have plenty of ammonia to get the cycling process underway... :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
The pond looks a bit on the dry side. You should have a keg party to help fill it faster. By the time you get the filter up and running you'll have plenty of ammonia to get the cycling process underway... :hmm3grin2orange:

lmao... not a bad idea.. :hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
06-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Thats coming along very nice.It will be a stunner.Hard work though for sure.thumbs2:

Crispy
06-22-2010, 03:12 PM
UPDATE: should be ready to lay the liner this weekend. Pond is 95% dug out and just needs some smoothing around some steps/edges. Dirt will be getting hauled away and will be buying 2500-3000gph pump. Still collecting rocks and need to build bucket filter. Have peat to cushion the liner in place. Not sure how we're doing the waterfall yet, but placed clay all infront so we can scape it nice hopefully. Not sure if we're doing slate steps or just a steep drop. Any suggestions/pics?

toddnbecka
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Slate steps would help aerate the water a bit more than a straight drop into the pool.

Crispy
06-28-2010, 01:20 AM
UPDATE: got to spend some time working on the pond this weekend and moved all the clay/dirt. Then we laid down a layer of peat and put in the liner (there was a small hole we had to patch). We also built the waterfall steps using much of the slate that we had.

Finally got a 3650gph pump for the pond!!

Now just hafta build the bucket filter, give the liner a good scrub, and scape the rest of the rocks. Should be running by this weekend we hope!

Pics soon.

Crispy
07-03-2010, 10:06 AM
UPDATE: got some major work done on the pond as I want it running w/fish for sunday. We powerwashed the pond liner and waterfall liner. Moulded the waterfall steps out of clay we dug out of the bottom of the pond. Then laid peat down (as a cushion) and laid the liner over the clay steps. We rebuilt the waterfall out of various pieces of slate and glued then siliconed top of liner to waterfall basin. We moved a large pile of bricks and rocks in place for the sides of the waterfall.

Got all the pieces needed to make our bucket filter and got it 100% built and running!! Filter is an approx 30g garbage pail built almost exactly like aeonflame's bucket filter. Pump is rated 3650gph with 1' head. There's poly sponge media and lava rock (which was majorly rinsed). Our 2" output is gushing out beautifully!

So the pond is filled and running finally after an entire day of work yesterday. We had just enough rock to build the waterfall and cover the outline of the pond. We're gonna need much more rock around the pond, but the hardest parts are done. Going to add 4 small koi to get the cycle going sunday and then more plants/fish in the coming weeks.

PICS SUNDAY NIGHT I PROMISE!!! :fish:

Rob66
07-03-2010, 07:55 PM
looking good, can't wait until its all donethumbs2: