05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I need some help guys, i have one of these lizards
at the moment, i have the lizard in a small tank
Ellen (the Skink) is 22cm long
i plan on upgrading her to a custom built glass tank

90cm Long
30cm High
45cm Deep

I have in the past caught and kept lizards for a couple of days, maybe 2 weeks at the most and let them go
Although I have always been interested in lizards and such
ive never actually had the proper set up for them
can anyone give me some instuction on how to set up this tank PERFECTLY for her

e.g. Placement of thermostat, light placement, himidifer etc

I've known since i was very young all the requirements a lizard needs, just need help in the matter of how to layout her tank
any help is greatly appreciated

Full3R

Rue
05-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I haven't looked after that species of skink...

...but you'd need a moisture retaining substrate...skinks like to burrow...

...an undertank heating pad on one side of the tank...

...a heat/basking light on the other end of the tank...make sure you have a proper lid that won't melt from the heat...

...a basking place for the skink...something wider is better than something narrower for them...

...a water dish...something easy to get in and out of and deep enough for a partial soak should they need too...

Check their humidity requirements and mist 2X a day according to those requrements...

Feed regularily...and feed as varied a diet as you can. Dust crickets 1-2X week with calcium powder. Don't feed daily unless it's a baby still.

Check for mites...wild-caught animals are almost always parasite-ridden...so keep an eye out for other parasites as well.

Rue
05-26-2007, 03:16 PM
...oh yeah...have a background...a clear tank makes them feel less secure...

...and some artificial leaves/vines are a nice touch and provide a sense of security for the skink too...

Full3R
05-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanx heaps
Although i know a fair bit i just learned a fair bit too
She is still a baby btw she is only about 5 months old, i check her for parasites the day i got her she a tick in her ear and thats all i could find so far,

I've had her for almost five months (exactly 5 months on the 8 of next month)

I have...

The basking light, wide basking rock, a water dish that she can get in and out of easy, and mist her already twice a day, all those things ive had since the day i got her

Ill buy the rest accoringly

Thanx you again, if you want, when her tank is completely set up i shall take pics and post them

thanx again

Rue
05-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd love to see your skink! Looking forward to pics!