PDA

View Full Version : under-sand fertilizer

megastealer
05-20-2010, 02:47 AM
I have two big amazon swords in my tank that I previously used root tabs for, but they seem to have eaten up all the root tab fertilizer. They are currently planted in a tank with play sand as a substrate.

I figure I should go ahead and get a fertilizer and re-do the substrate with a layer of something under the sand, or maybe mixed in with the sand, but I'm not sure what to get and where to get it for a not so expensive price.

I'd like to get a lot more plants, but I definitely need to figure out about getting them some food first. I have a wonderful ballast lighting system on the tank so light is plentiful.

I've also seen liquid fertilizer, does anyone know much about this?

Thanks again! :22:

Dacotah7
05-20-2010, 05:11 AM
I have two big amazon swords in my tank that I previously used root tabs for, but they seem to have eaten up all the root tab fertilizer. They are currently planted in a tank with play sand as a substrate.

I figure I should go ahead and get a fertilizer and re-do the substrate with a layer of something under the sand, or maybe mixed in with the sand, but I'm not sure what to get and where to get it for a not so expensive price.

I'd like to get a lot more plants, but I definitely need to figure out about getting them some food first. I have a wonderful ballast lighting system on the tank so light is plentiful.

I've also seen liquid fertilizer, does anyone know much about this?

Thanks again! :22:

I've had live aquatic plants for a few years, but it has always been hit and miss, never knowing why I had successes or failures. Recently I took an interest in learning about growing aquatic plants and controling the success rate. The point is my expertise is very limited.

I am curious as to how you know your plants ate your root tabs; do they not dissovle over time?

I am confused over your concern with your substrate. Why not just stick the root tabs in the sand?

What is the concern or reason to want to place another substrate material under the sand?
While I am curious why you want to, that is exactly what I have in my 20g planted, tropical tank. For a 20g tank I have a lot of money in substrate. I bought a gallon bucket of SeaChems' Pond Matrix intending to use all of it, but ended up using about half of it, a sinlge layer of about 3/4" pourous rock, adverstised as good substrate for pond plants, and being pourous a good host for bacteria. I only used half because I had trouble trying to keep it covered with the sand. On top of that I have two bags of SeChems' Black Flourite Sand.

It seems the people in the know with plants avoid liquid fertilizer. Some use tabs, but most recommend dry fertilizer and mix their own combinations, saving a lot of money. I am going to try that after my current bottle of liquid fertilizer is gone.

Dave66
05-20-2010, 05:21 AM
The big sword plants are heavy root feeders, needing a fine grain substrate that's very rich in chelated iron. Your play sand, which are in vogue because of the look, completely lacks nutrients aquatic plants need.

If you are set on using the sand as a substrate, a inch thick layer of granulated laterite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laterite) under the sand will keep your swords fed for at least two years.

Should you wish instruction on a proper planted tank substrate contact me via PM.

Dave

megastealer
05-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Should you wish instruction on a proper planted tank substrate contact me via PM.

Dave

PMed, accidentally typed it on here lol

I am curious as to how you know your plants ate your root tabs; do they not dissovle over time?

I am confused over your concern with your substrate. Why not just stick the root tabs in the sand?

What is the concern or reason to want to place another substrate material under the sand?

1) Well, I stuck the tabs in the sand and buried the plants on top of them. Half a year later, I can't find a trace of the root tabs and my plants are acting sick.

2) I did, they just aren't there anymore lol

3) My sand is just a cheap $5/bag play sand from home depot. There aren't any minerals or anything in it.