PDA

View Full Version : Cataching a Crayfish? Good Idea instead of buying?

Shaunjr_89
05-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Have a brook by my house loaded with crayfish and i know its clean water cause the state stocks it with trout. i can catch crayfish all day without a problem. So my Question is i have a 55g tank with medium sized non aggresive fish could i catch one and add him or would it make my fish sick.
thanks

rich311k
05-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Find out if it is legal first. Second he may have fun eating your fish.

Northernguy
05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Crayfish do eat fish and are not to bad at catching them.Once it nips a small fish,the fish is usually done for.Thats when they become good at scavenging.lol
If you had an oscar you they are great feeders.

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Crayfish do eat fish and are not to bad at catching them.Once it nips a small fish,the fish is usually done for.Thats when they become good at scavenging.lol
If you had an oscar you they are great feeders.
Agreed!! If I may add catching them legally should be as simple as possessing a fishing license - but as mentioned it is best to check it really sux to get a several thousand dollar fine for a .25 cents animal...lol

As far as putting wild caught specimens into your tank and disease goes: We should not assume that because a fish is fit for human consumption that it is fit for keeping in an aquarium. The bacteria and viri and parasites naturally found in even the cleanest of wild environments can wreak havoc in the closed system of a home aquarium especially with the fish we keep which are exposed to far fewer pathogens than their wild counterparts thus their immune system is inferior to a wild fish of the same species.. Heck even if eaten raw some of these pathogens could cause us major illness, these are the reasons why we cook our food before we eat it.

FYI: Even Sushi is specifically chosen and prepared for raw consumption, in modern times they help keep pathogens down by freezing the fish prior to shipping to restaurants. In olden days it was considered a fine art taking many years of training for a Sushi chef to be able to identify quality safe selections of raw fish and prepare it in a way that would not make those who eat it sick...lol

Shaunjr_89
05-20-2010, 01:04 AM
All u have great points, thanks for the info. think i am gonna pass. Or pick one up at my fish store.

tanks4thememories
05-20-2010, 01:05 AM
All u have great points, thanks for the info. think i am gonna pass. Or pick one up at my fish store.

Or get a quarantine tank and you can process them with no worries..thumbs2:

UncleWillie
05-20-2010, 03:10 AM
If you have easy access, I say don't buy from the LFS unless they have some crazy cool imported cray that you really want. They will likely be Procambarus clarkii, alleni or acutus acutus (which are the most readily available b/c of their abundance, biology, and use of food). You will likely have much 'cooler' crays in the stream you speak of. No need to be paranoid about disease or parasites. Check them for external parasites, and if you want to be super cautious, quarantine them.

If you want them in a 55, that's fine, but as mentioned, you may not to watch out for fish getting nipped. I haven't had this problem in the past, but many people do if they have slow-moving or large-finned fishes. Also, you will find them re-arranging your tank and you will likely rarely see them. B/c of this, I always suggest keeping them in a smaller tank where they are not 'lost' as easily and you can get to watch them.

If you do go out and catch your own, post some pics of them! Good luck